• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creating a non-MSTS reliant route Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xreightaa 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

I'm just going through the TSRE manual looking to build a new route and see how I progress. Though I was wondering, should it not crash and burn, with my Blender skills hopefully coming along, is there a way to develop it without copyrighted assets so it can be distributed? As said, I'm trying for scenery developed with Blender (meshes I'm relatively ok with, UV texturing I still need to read up on and attempt), but the second I lay track, is that end-game as they are Kuju/Microsoft-based? Same with TerrTex (although easier as it's just a re-texture I guess).

Thanks

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

I believe there are already several topics, both here and at TS dealing with a 100% non-MSTS developed route.

As far as American style routes goes, I believe the most widely used is X-Tracks and new Roads, and perhaps 3DT's ScaleRail and ScaleRoads.

For your freelanced shapes, there are lots of free textures available (ie non-copyright protected) sources. I use textures.com for one. You can also ask permission from the texture artists, Chris Gerlach is one perolific texture creator that has given his blessing to route developers.

Do a forum search...I think you will have most (if not all) your questions) answered.

Good Luck!!!

#3 User is offline   xreightaa 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:06 PM

Ok, no problem. Textures should be fine. I just didn't want to get locked into something as core to the route as the rail system and find out I can't share it at a later date (sort of future-proofing I guess in a way). So if X Tracks can substitute for the original and be distributed then that works out. Thanks for your help.

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:19 PM

All shapes distributed with the default MSTS routes are shareable and can be used without copyright problems in a route you build.
That being said, you just are not allowed to sell any of these assets, free distribution only.

regards,
vince

#5 User is offline   xreightaa 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

Ok, thanks for that, good to know.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic