• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting Up Steam Heat for Diesel Locos Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

I discovered another mistake. For a diesel locomotive, the dynamic load probably does not take into account the weight of the water for the steam boiler.
Calculates only with the amount of diesel in the MaxDieselLevel parameter (converted to weight).
I found out during tests with a train with DEE 10203 from CTN, as well as my locomotive. The HUD shows a weight less than the sum of the empty locomotive + the weight of the fuel + the weight of the water for the steam boiler.

Service weight of the locomotive = 75 t = weight of the empty locomotive 70 t + 2.5 t of water for the steam boiler (2500 l) + 2.5 t of diesel fuel (3000 l at 835 g per liter).

https://i.imgur.com/giUGENa.png

#22 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

Lamplighter, on 10 October 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

I discovered another mistake. For a diesel locomotive, the dynamic load probably does not take into account the weight of the water for the steam boiler.

The weight of the diesel is taken from the figures in the FreightAnimation, ie in your case 70 + 5 = 75.

From memory the water and diesel usage will be then subtracted from this value.

Hence my initial suggestion is that the FreightAnimation values are not being correctly read. Out of interest is the default Mass value 72.5t?

You may need to have a bit of a play with the FreightAnimation value.

#23 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:33 PM

Hi,
but there's nothing to play with.

British Railways Class D16/2 from Steam Heating Demonstration (DEE_10203_or_adv.eng):
Mass ( 132.8t-uk ) Comment ( Docu PDF p36 )
Comment ( * WWO 132.8t-uk, diesel gal-uk 1180g-uk = 1030g-uk = 4.67t-uk, water 840 gal-UK boiler water = 3.76t-uk * )
WagonEmptyWeight ( 124.37t-uk )
FreightWeightWhenFull ( 6.74t-uk )
ORTSHeatingBoilerWaterTankCapacity ( 500g-uk )
MaxDieselLevel ( 1180g-uk ) Comment ( Docu PDF p10 )

HUD after loading the locomotive into the activity: Weight 128,9t-UK
This corresponds to an empty locomotive and fuel. Water for the steam generator is not included..

T478.1 CSD series locomotive from my trainset (CSD_T4781001.eng):
Mass ( 75t )
Comment ( "Service weight of the locomotive 75t" )
Comment ( "Empty weight of the locomotive 70t" )
Comment ( "Steam boiler water weight 2.5t (2500l, water 1l = 0.001t)" )
Comment ( "Diesel fuel weight 2.5t (3000l, diesel fuel 1l = 0.000835t, the density of petroleum diesel is about 0.83 - 0.88 kg/l)" )
WagonEmptyWeight ( 70t )
FreightWeightWhenFull ( 5t )
ORTSHeatingBoilerWaterTankCapacity ( 2500l )
MaxDieselLevel ( 3000l )

HUD after loading the locomotive into the activity: Weight 72.6t
This corresponds to an empty locomotive and fuel. Water for the steam generator is not included.

My parameters are with metric units, but OR accepts them and the calculation is the same. The values ​​are taken from the technical documentation.
To get the correct display of the locomotive weight in the HUD, I would have to increase the WagonEmptyWeight value by the weight of the water for the steam generator.
I verified it and it works. Therefore, I argue that the OR for dynamic load only takes into account the fuel consumption of the locomotive. No water for the steam generator and possibly no fuel consumption by the steam generator (not verified).

#24 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:06 AM

steamer_ctn, on 10 October 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

The weight of the diesel is taken from the figures in the FreightAnimation, ie in your case 70 + 5 = 75.

From memory the water and diesel usage will be then subtracted from this value.

Hence my initial suggestion is that the FreightAnimation values are not being correctly read. Out of interest is the default Mass value 72.5t?

You may need to have a bit of a play with the FreightAnimation value.

I found that OR actually behaves differently.
The actual weight of the locomotive displayed in the HUD is calculated as follows:
It takes the value from the WagonEmptyWeight parameter and adds the fuel weight from the MaxDieselLevel parameter in the Engine section.
The weight of the fuel is calculated using the volume weight of diesel 866.6 grams per liter. The FreightWeightWhenFull parameter does not interfere with the calculation.

How did I find out?
I noticed that the HUD shows incorrect 72.6t and I have 70t for WagonEmptyWeight. This is a difference of 2.6t. In the MaxDieselLevel parameter I have the value 3000l. For the test, I changed it to 2000 l. The HUD showed a total weight (at WagonEmptyWeight (70t)) of 71.7t.
Thus, it was not difficult to calculate that the OR calculated a bulk density of 866.6 grams per liter of diesel (Similarly with imperial units). The dynamic load is thus calculated from the empty weight of the locomotive and the amount of diesel for the internal combustion engine. The FreightWeightWhenFull parameter, which replaces the water weight for the steam generator and the fuel weight for the locomotive, is not included at all. It is simply ignored for unknown reasons.

#25 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:55 AM

In another experiment, I found that OR counts diesel burned by a steam boiler.
I switched off the locomotive engine and only ran the steam heating. Then using CTRL + ALT + PgUp I speed up the time and in the HUD I monitor the loss of diesel from the tank.

OK. The decrease corresponds approximately to the values ​​of the ORTSHeatingBoilerFuelUsage parameter. The change in fuel weight for dynamic load therefore works. It is not very significant, but it works.
During this accelerated test, I consumed all the water for steam heating in a several hours (2,500 l = 2.5 t), but this did not affect the total weight of the locomotive. The HUD did not notice this change. Only a small loss of fuel.

#26 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

Ok, thanks I will have a look at it.

It may take a few days.

#27 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:25 AM

I have added a patch to hopefully fix the weight missing for the boiler water mass. (It should appear after version 2020-10-12 10:06)

Can you check it out, and confirm that it solves the problem.

Can you also do the following tests independently?

i) Increase the boiler water usage rate to a significant value, and confirm that the weight reduces in a similar fashion.

ii) increase the boiler fuel usage rate to a significant value, and confirm that the weight reduces in a similar fashion.

Thanks

#28 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:10 AM

OK. I'll wait for the update, try it and announce the result.

#29 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:13 AM

Great job Peter! Now it works as it should. I enclose a demonstration video.

https://youtu.be/HEM6p5g-2xY

I worked with the original values ​​of the parameters, but I accelerated the time again.
In the video, I stopped the locomotive engine for the first time at 9:00. Then I start the steam heating of the generator. And I will speed up the time to full water consumption at 12:24, when the heating will turn off due to lack of water.
In the first test, it took a very long time (12.5 hours) for all the water to be consumed.
So I recalculated the consumption and found that it is not in g-UK/hour, but in liters/hour. OR probably read the first parameter of the water supply in liters and also adapted the others to metric units.

For a locomotive, I now use such an entry in the .eng file:

Wagon ( CSD_T4781148
Mass ( 75t )
Comment ( "Total service weight 75 t, of which diesel 2,5 t, water for steam generator 2,5 t" )
ORTSFreightAnims (
MSTSFreightAnimEnabled ( 0 )
WagonEmptyWeight ( 70t )
EmptyORTSDavis_A ( 962.1 )
EmptyORTSDavis_B ( 23.03 )
EmptyORTSDavis_C ( 5.98 )
EmptyCentreOfGravity_Y ( 2.09 )

FreightAnimContinuous (
FreightWeightWhenFull ( 5t )
FullORTSDavis_A ( 994 )
FullORTSDavis_B ( 24.67 )
FullORTSDavis_C ( 5.98 )
FullCentreOfGravity_Y ( 2.29 )
)
)

Comment ( "Steam generator PEGAS PG-500" )
ORTSHeatingBoilerWaterTankCapacity ( 2500l )
ORTSHeatingBoilerWaterUsage ( 0 0l/h 2200 760l/h )
ORTSHeatingBoilerFuelUsage ( 0 0l/h 2200 75l/h )
IntakePoint ( 1 0.5 FuelWater )
IntakePoint ( -1 0.5 FuelDiesel )

Effects (
SpecialEffects (
HeatingHoseFX ( -0.8 0.34 -8.0 0 -1 0 0.15 ) #Effect steam clutch leak
HeatingHoseFX ( 0.8 0.34 8.0 0 -1 0 0.15 ) #Effect steam clutch leak
)
)
Engine ( CSD_T4781148

Effects (
DieselSpecialEffects (
Exhaust1 ( 0.16 4.2 0.74 0 1.2 0 0.2 )
HeatingSteamBoilerFX ( 0.83 4.07 4.08 0 1 0 0.12 ) #Effect exhaust steam boiler
)
)

The test train had a locomotive and 8 passenger cars. Passenger cars are set up as follows:

Comment ( "Steam heating of the car" )
ORTSWagonSpecialType ( Heated )
ORTSHeatingWindowDeratingFactor ( 0.25 )
ORTSHeatingCompartmentTemperatureSet ( 20 )
ORTSHeatingCompartmentPipeAreaFactor ( 1.2 )
Comment ( "car class A - 1.2, car class B - 1.4, service and freight wagons - 1.8" )
ORTSHeatingTrainPipeOuterDiameter ( 60mm )
ORTSHeatingTrainPipeInnerDiameter ( 50mm )
ORTSHeatingConnectingHoseOuterDiameter ( 70mm )
ORTSHeatingConnectingHoseInnerDiameter ( 50mm )

Comment ( "Parni topeni" )
Effects (
SpecialEffects (
HeatingHoseFX ( -0.70 0.58 -11.0 0 -1 0 0.25 )
HeatingHoseFX ( 0.70 0.58 11.0 0 -1 0 0.25 )
)
)

Thanks again. The change in the weight of the locomotive is now so significant that it pays to add parameters FullMaxBrakeForce, FullMaxHandbrakeForce, EmptyMaxBrakeForce, EmptyMaxHandbrakeForce and others.

#30 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:45 AM

Hello.

If we add multiple FreightAnimContinuous blocks in the same way as the animated load, would the upload option work by type? That is, is it possible to add FuelDiesel, FuelWater, FuelSand to the right place? Fuel pick-up and sand tanks are not filled in the same place at the same time. Locomotives with a built-in steam boiler have to stop almost as frequently to replenish water supplies as steam locomotives.
If there are multiple FreightAnimContinuous blocks, how should the ORTSDavis parameters in the block be calculated?
An example: A MÁV M40 locomotive absorbs 2.6 tonnes of diesel, 0.2 tonnes of sand and 1.8 tonnes of heating water before departure.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users