• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Create 2 different Trains from the same consist Timetable commands

#1 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:21 AM

Hi, I'm startig to play around the Timetable feature for OR and I came up with one biggest question:
Assuming that there is a huge train, is possible that at some stage (when this train reach a station) to split it up and create 2 different trains going in opposite directions?

Example, I have a consist like this Loco X + Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A + Carriage B + Carriage B reaching a Station at a specific time of the day. When the Train reach this station the Loco X will decouple from the convoy, moving on another track and goes behind the convoy which makes a convoy like this: Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A + Carriage B + Carriage B + Loco X. Then the Train will split in half and create 2 different Trains.

- Train 1: Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A (going on Path A)
- Train 2: Loco X + Carriage B + Carriage B (going on Path B)

Is this achievable in Timetable? How this will be handled especially in terms of Path creation?

#2 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:40 AM

Yes. That is entirely possible. I'll give you an example:
i have created in my timetable a path from Lisbon to Oporto with several stops for one train. Another train goes from Coimbra to Guarda (another path). they both have a common stop at Pampilhosa station, in different tracks.
the Oporto trains is instructed to detach two carriages at the end of the consist at pampilhosa.
then I have scheduled another engine to make the transfer of carriages from one train to the otther.
And then both go they're own ways.

Take a look here

If you search youtube for "open rails timetables" you will also find a lot of wodnerfull polish examples.

If this is the sort of operation you want just pm me and I'll be happy to help and passs along what I've been learning the last few months.

the trick is the shunter in wich I had to dive it in three different paths for three distinct movements. First, to get out of the shed. Second to get the coaches from one train and deliver to the second trains. Third and final, to get back to the shed.

#3 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:13 AM

Aldarion, on 30 September 2020 - 03:40 AM, said:

Yes. That is entirely possible. I'll give you an example:
i have created in my timetable a path from Lisbon to Oporto with several stops for one train. Another train goes from Coimbra to Guarda (another path). they both have a common stop at Pampilhosa station, in different tracks.
the Oporto trains is instructed to detach two carriages at the end of the consist at pampilhosa.
then I have scheduled another engine to make the transfer of carriages from one train to the otther.
And then both go they're own ways.

Take a look here

If you search youtube for "open rails timetables" you will also find a lot of wodnerfull polish examples.

If this is the sort of operation you want just pm me and I'll be happy to help and passs along what I've been learning the last few months.

the trick is the shunter in wich I had to dive it in three different paths for three distinct movements. First, to get out of the shed. Second to get the coaches from one train and deliver to the second trains. Third and final, to get back to the shed.

Thanks for your reply Aldarion. By looking to your video (which you did a great job anyway) I can see that my procedure is actually little bit different from yours.
We are talking about a single Train, with a single Path, that will have a drastic change when it reach a specific station with a consist split and a creation of 2 paths.
This is my issue to understand what I can achieve with the Timetable. So far I understand you can define a Train with multiple consist, but you cannot define a Train with multiple paths, am I correct?

I make it easier to understand.

Train A has a Path A reaching out a station after a long journey.
At that station Train A will get the above manouvers (pay attention, the 2 Locos are part of the same Train, in your video instead 1 Loco was in standby into the station), and all of the sudden is like that train is creating 2 different Paths (Path B and Path C). To Path B is going the brand new created consists (with the loco manouvered) instead to Path C is going what is left from the original consist.
Is pretty complicated but only by reading it, this kind of service is actually pretty common in lots of countries but again I'm not sure if it is possible to make it in OR.

Hope it makes sense.

#4 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:59 AM

I think it is possible. Yes.
A train cannot have more than one path. But you can divide a consist e and make it form another train. By forming that train it has to have another designation (a number for example) and a path. by dividing it in three or more consists it will form three or more trains with a path for each one.
The only thing I have doubts because I have not tested it, is the second loco being able to from another train and how to place a command to form that train.
In my country I will not have two locos on the same passenger train But I will have trains that will brake up into three branch lines and at easch station that separates there is a loco there that will take the carriages that are left...
I can test something like that in shuntings.

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:36 AM

Here is how it works.

• Define a consist "TRAIN_A" consisting of Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A
  • Define a consist "TRAIN_B" consisting of Loco X + Carriage B + Carriage B
  • Define path "TRAIN_A" which covers the full path of train A
  • Define path "TRAIN_B" which covers the path of train B starting at the station where the trains split
  • In timetable, define TRAIN_A, with path TRAIN_A and consist TRAIN_A + TRAIN_B $reverse
  • In timetable, define TRAIN_B, with path TRAIN_B and consist TRAIN_B $reverse
  • At station where train splits, set command for TRAIN_A : $detach /consist=TRAIN_B /forms=TRAIN_B

As AI train, the train will split and each portion continue on its own way.
You can select both TRAIN_A and TRAIN_B as player train, but if you select TRAIN_B it will start at the station where the train splits.
If you select TRAIN_A, then when the train splits you will be offered the choice to continue with TRAIN_A or with TRAIN_B. You can change cabs with CTRL-E until you are in the engine of the portion with which you want to continue, then you can perform the detach. The portion which you have not selected will continue as AI train.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

@Aldarion, you give me hopes :)

@Rob, this is super valid solution if the Train simply get to that station and split in half, but is not what I want to achieve.

Ok so, we have this Train here, with this exact consist: Loco X + Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A + Carriage B + Carriage B.

1) Train reach the station at 8:30
2) Loco X will decouple from all the convoy at 8:32 and is making some manouvers to get on the tail of the trains
3) Now we have this exact consist: Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A + Carriage B + Carriage B + Loco X.
4) At some stage the Train will get another decouple and ti will be cut in half with those 2 consists:
- Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A (keep going on the same direction of the original Train)
- Carriage B + Carriage B + Loco X (going into the opposite direction of the above train).

The 2 locos are leading the Train, there are no loco at the tail of the original consist.

Your solution is valid Rob and I think is covering pretty much what I need to do but not all the procedure.

My idea is to create 3 different consist here:
Consist1: Loco X
Consist2: Loco Y + Carriage A + Carriage A
Consist3: Carriage B + Carriage B

These 3 consists will be merged at the beginning through the Train Definition of the Timetable, and I'll assign the Path A which then will be the path of one of the 2 Trains.
Once the train will reach the station the Consist1 will decouple from the rest of the Train and will follow a different Path, Path B, which involves in taking other exits and reverse points.
When Consist1 get to the tail of the original Trains then another decouple will trigger, creating a new combination of Consist3+Consist1.
Consist2 is following the original path, Path A, meanwhile Consist3+Consist1 will follow the Path B.

How can I get this working in Timetable?

#7 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:34 AM

You want to divide a trainA and both parts continue ? Yes, you can do this in timetables.
1) In a #station field 06:55$detach /trailingpower /forms=helperreturn
In this example a train has a helper locomotive pushing at the back. At the station the rear locomotive detaches and returns down the hill. The main train continues.

2) In a #station field 06:30$detach /leadingpower /forms=newtrain
In this example 2 locomotives are coupled together, then at the station stop they uncouple and continue independently
new train and helperreturn will need their own train columns and paths

3) In the #dispose field. I haven`t tried this! But you would need it if there is no station. Also coupling operations in the dispose tend to be more reliable
Train A path ends where you want to divide the train

$forms=trainB$detach /units = -5 /forms=trainC

5 units at the rear are detached and forms a new train C. Must include a power unit
Hope this helps, Rick

#8 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:53 AM

rickloader, on 30 September 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

You want to divide a trainA and both parts continue ? Yes, you can do this in timetables.
1) In a #station field 06:55$detach /trailingpower /forms=helperreturn
In this example a train has a helper locomotive pushing at the back. At the station the rear locomotive detaches and returns down the hill. The main train continues.

2) In a #station field 06:30$detach /leadingpower /forms=newtrain
In this example 2 locomotives are coupled together, then at the station stop they uncouple and continue independently
new train and helperreturn will need their own train columns and paths

3) In the #dispose field. I haven`t tried this! But you would need it if there is no station. Also coupling operations in the dispose tend to be more reliable
Train A path ends where you want to divide the train

$forms=trainB$detach /units = -5 /forms=trainC

5 units at the rear are detached and forms a new train C. Must include a power unit
Hope this helps, Rick

I think this would be it, Rick! Can I get a screenshot as example of this will look like in Timetable sheet?
Also do I need to create trainb (or newtrain) as another Train? But how can I define it? If you can show me an example in Timetable would be awesome.

Thanks again

#9 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

I`m sorry, my post crossed with Rob`s explanation above, and also with your own. (got called away) But I think we are in agreement.
Yes, any "forms" statement means you need a new train. You define a new train by making a new timetable column with the train name at the top. In my examples the train name is trainb or trainC or newtrain.
If I get time I will try to make you an example.
But, you can build up the sequence in the time table yourself. Go one step at a time and test each step. You have already analysed what you need . Each step will be a $forms= newtrain / attach or detach. Newtrain will be a new column
Start by decouple loco x and a runround path to the other end of the train.
Rick

#10 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

PTtrains87
One advice. Start creating your schedules and start with simples stuf... then, as you grow confident with the normal simple procedures of a train X going from A to B, then start introducing more complexity.

My learning curve was like that

-First i started with local trains run on electric trainsets from the first station to last. they appeared a few minutes before the service and disapeared a few minutes after finishing the run.
-Then I started exploring the $form function to have the same trainset running up and dow the track in a service rotation.
- After that I explored the pools and how to place trains at poools and call them for services.
-Now I started with loco and carriages and runarounds, attachements and detachments.
Next it will be the trains switching movements and send locomotives to sheds and carriages to pools.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users