Elvas Tower: Curve Force Limits - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Curve Force Limits A need for optional skill building at curves by type Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

As the title says Curve Force Limits I am referring to the need of skill building for operating an switching heavy/light trains.
For where its more then just pulling an breaking knuckles as it can happen on tangent straight rail or even curves if the coupler limit is reached like now.
But as mentioned it is more then just breaking couplers at their limit but also the limits curved track or equipment negotiating curves can withstand. But instead
of going in the routes preferences an perspective for track durability an parameters lets go with the equipment limits at curves. Empty cars have most
of the time been the leading cars to stringline off the rail due to high forces pulling or pushing around curves due to poor train makeup or/and mishandling.
I am sure some of you here in North America have seen it caught on camera like Horseshoe curve seeing a empty car at the headend where most the loads were on
the rear giving that tuga war like resistance at the low radius curve where trail tonnage vs power effort then the empty could not take it at the curves radius getting snatched off.

That poor handling happens in the twisty track yards a lot where engineers learn their lesson to not pull or push so hard an to wait for air flow to be deeply down (released brakes) for them
to ask if the air is cut-in on all cars an if handbrakes are released because they are Run 4 an got no movement even on flat land curious. I myself have wondered the same thing on remote jobs
thinking if its the number of axles of power on small switchers or are the cut of cars my crew or me attached to have brakes still applied.

So take for instance I have a lot of power on headend an no helpers around heavy twisty track or decide in a yard to power brake pulling/pushing or have handbrakes still applied
to the cars to increase coupler forces around switches an low radius curves then I increase the chances of high lateral coupler force limits depending on formula for car types. Wheel sliding is
a good example for heavy set air or handbrakes going over low radius curves jumping the rail with flat spots or just hitting the inside rail hard not turning wheels.

You do not need a lot of power to always stringline/jacknife a weak car as you can be going at high traction totaling 300klbf around a tight curve or switch with light empty cars
on head direction with heavy tonnage or braking resistance on the rear. It may fit the example of buff loading on straight rail but that can be a separate optional parameter how much compression
coupler force the type of car can withstand.

Not trying to ask for derailments an scenes but a request to test patience an skills an get notified if something/someone mishandled with disciplines like simple as air hose detached broke.
Real life there are cases train snaps hoses at curves an didn't really derail train due to short air hoses or even on tangent track with hard run-in slack pushes/couples giving enough vertical force
to even stay on the rail. So in my assumption I have 1 car effected by this we good an repair hose but if its multiple throughout the train I with no visual say the train is on the ground even though
ORTS breaks multiple hoses telling me train was mishandled at fault.

The Simple Examples:
1. Viewing the F5 force info with coupler forces I already take that as a formula template calculating with a eye knowing where my vulnerable car is within train where if its limit number has
been reached you know you messed up already in buff loading or/and looking at the Curve radius results its on. No notification exists yet except in Curve speed but wonder why Curve is expressed in Miles or yards.

2. For parameter adjustments by the user or developer to make this request optional you can have it where Eng/Wag has its limits on sections of routes where even 6 axel units or more are forbidding
on spurs because the minimum curve radius it can go on are 110rd or above but sections of the spur is 90rd-100rd an has curves left an right with no straight or tangent rail for bogies an wheels
to change side direction smooth an freely. Now if it has radius of 111rd on curve there is such little luck to get through it like it can roll idle through it with not much pulling/pushing tractive effort
to pop jump off the rail.

6 Axle Loco
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( A= Minimum Curve Radius B= Max Curve Force C= Minimum Radius Change - to + "left-Right Curves no tangent bogie space)
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( 110rd 30klbf 130rd )
4 Axle Loco
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( 80rd 40klbf 80rd )

Empty Autorack Small Wheels
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( 100rd 40klbf 130rd )
Empty Autorack Regular Wheels
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( 105rd 70klbf 135rd )
Loaded Autorack Small Wheels
ORTSCurveBreakForce ( 100rd 100klbf 130rd )

3. For Compression Buff limits it is simple as taking the broken coupler force limits calculating how much run-in tons or force the car type can handle an is just like 2. above but basically
on tangent straighter track. But think of it as a more simple parameter when coupling or running into a deadend/buffer track with all tonnage an resistance trail shocking against you.

Loaded Tanker
ORTSTangentCompressForce ( 800klbf )
Empty Tanker
ORTSTangentCompressForce ( 400klbf )

That's about what I have now an want to hear user thoughts an interested developers. Above calculation examples for car types is just eye opener where tonnage formula on car types have yet to be charted
as if it was a FCalc assumption for users in future to apply to optional stock. I myself would definitely apply it to my lightweight empty stock an locos to teach patience an train makeup practices of the
do an don'ts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users