Elvas Tower: Timetable map window - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timetable map window Similar to the Dispatch map window Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:11 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 02 October 2020 - 10:02 AM, said:

It might help clarity if one or more of the types of text are offset to the left instead of having all offset tot he right.

The text algorithm for the labels in Timetable Tab is the same as the DIspatch Tab and quite interesting.

The display is split into rows of equal height and associated to an array with a matching number of rows and 4 columns for each row. Each column holds the distance from the left side of the window to the start and end of the label text.

When zoomed out, there may not be room for every label.

To find the position for a label, find the nearest row vertically and draw the label if adding it would not overlap with any labels already drawn in that row.If not drawn, try one or two rows above and one or two rows below.

To avoid conflict between the platform labels and the platforms themselves, only the righmost end of the platform gets a label. The train labels are not subject to this algorithm, presumably because they are often moving.

An array is used instead of a dynamic list to avoid glitches while recovering released memory.

#22 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:34 AM

Attached Image: 2020-10-02 20_27_46-MS Excel with extensions - Squared1.jpg

View PostCsantucci, on 01 October 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I am testing the feature before merging it into OR NewYear MG. This is what I get on the Bernina Freeware with U2020.10.01-2006.
Attachment Timetable.jpg
Are those long blue lines regular?

The blue lines represent the extent of a platform, so these stray lines come from a route where the platforms have a sensible location at one end only.

An hour ago, I submitted a revision which adds a checkbox so you can turn off the platforms independently from the platform labels.

Thanks to everyone who has tried this out and to the people who reported issues which I believe have now been fixed.
Do let me know of anything that's been overlooked.

#23 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:04 AM

@Chris:
Thank you for the addition of that checkbox.
@Chris and Rick:
I made some further check.
This is how the platforms of the same station (St. Moritz) appear in the MSTS AE:
Attached Image: StMoritz_MSTSAE.jpg

and this is how they appear in TSRE5:
Attached Image: StMoritz_TSRE5.jpg

As can be seen, in both cases the platforms are displayed correctly. So I wonder what is wrong to them for not being displayed correctly on the Timetable Map.

#24 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

Hi Carlo,

View PostCsantucci, on 03 October 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

As can be seen, in both cases the platforms are displayed correctly. So I wonder what is wrong to them for not being displayed correctly on the Timetable Map.

I can guess what might be happening. Without the route it's not possible to be certain.

Can you point me to a web address to download this route, please?

Thanks,

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:24 AM

Hi Chris,
thanks for wanting to dig into this. The web page where you find the route downloads is this one https://rhb-trainsim...erninaBahn.html .

#26 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 03 October 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

thanks for wanting to dig into this. The web page where you find the route downloads is this one https://rhb-trainsim...erninaBahn.html .

Always nice to get encouragement.

I've downloaded Bernina Bahn and found my code couldn't tell the difference between "Gleis 1" (Platform 1) in one station and "Gleis 1" in another.

I've submitted a fix which is now part of the Unstable version. Hope it's OK.

I'm now going to spend some time exploring the amazing Bernina Bahn . . .

#27 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Chris, that's OK now.
I hope you enjoy the Bernina Bahn :)

#28 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Your new feature looks very interesting.

Out of interest I went into it whilst in explorer mode (naturally there were no timetable trains).

I then started clicking on options for the fun of it (there is always one user who tries to do things that aren't meant to happen).

Anyway when I clicked on the All radio button in the Trains box, I got the attached error message, and OR shutdown.

Whilst I know that not many users will do this, it might be worth fixing it to make it more robust.

Perhaps the best solution is to hide the Timetable TAB unless the user has selected the Timetable radio button on the initial menu.

Do any of the non timetable type features carry over to the Dispatch TAB (eg platform handling, etc?)

Thanks

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: timetable.jpg

#29 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 08 October 2020 - 09:09 PM, said:

Anyway when I clicked on the All radio button in the Trains box, I got the attached error message, and OR shutdown.

Whilst I know that not many users will do this, it might be worth fixing it to make it more robust.

Perhaps the best solution is to hide the Timetable TAB unless the user has selected the Timetable radio button on the initial menu.

Do any of the non timetable type features carry over to the Dispatch TAB (eg platform handling, etc?)

Thanks for finding this, Peter. I'll look into it.

I would rather keep the Timetable Tab available at all times because it provides slightly different information from the Dispatch Tab and you can choose what to hide and what to reveal.

I've tried to leave the Dispatch Tab unchanged as far as possible, as I am not competent to test it fully. None of the new features carry over.

#30 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:35 AM

I don't think it would be very difficult to add Station names to the Timetable Tab.

The idea would be to average the position of the platform ends and place the station name there first and in a different colour/size.

Would that be useful?

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users