Elvas Tower: Removing signal aspects from the Track Monitor - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Removing signal aspects from the Track Monitor Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

Okay, so I've updated the code to also hide switch icons and signal speed limits. Instead of yet another option, it is also toggleable in-game, through the Shift+F4 keys.

(You can still kind of infer the path of the train because you know which signals, mileposts, and speed limits are coming up beyond the diverging switch. Oh well. The mode serves its purpose.)

I have filed a blueprint and a pull request for this change. It should be available shortly in the unstable version.

I'm not completely sold on my grey blobs. Maybe I should borrow Coolhand101's traffic light graphic. :D

#22 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

A Few Observations...how in the heck do all you keep all this signal knowledge straight?? A lifetime of interests in railroading, indeed! This will make me up my game and I think it will make the simulation more interesting. Lastly, get ready for howls when people inadvertently turn the signals off or somehow do not understand the absence of signal aspects in the Track Monitor.

#23 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:29 PM

About that - I was wondering if it might be prudent to include some sort of display mode indicator on the Track Monitor. As of now, that would entail an extra data row, because there is no space in any of the existing ones.

#24 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

Perhaps, above my experience and "paygrade"...probably couldn't hurt...best to consult with other developers.

#25 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:51 PM

YoRyan, on 28 September 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

Okay, so I've updated the code to also hide switch icons and signal speed limits. Instead of yet another option, it is also toggleable in-game, through the Shift+F4 keys.

[...]

This sounds like a great addition! Definitely looking forward to not running my trains without any kind of route knowledge at all anymore. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif

R H Steele, on 28 September 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

A Few Observations...how in the heck do all you keep all this signal knowledge straight?? A lifetime of interests in railroading, indeed! This will make me up my game and I think it will make the simulation more interesting. [...]

Well, guess for me the key has been to not mix up different companies too much on the one hand, and OTOH, to try and understand the logic in a signalling system. That does not go to say printed signal charts and the pause key don't come in handy at times, though http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blush2.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/book2.gif

Cheers, Markus

#26 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

YoRyan, on 28 September 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'm not completely sold on my grey blobs. Maybe I should borrow Coolhand101's traffic light graphic. :D

Sorry, I completely miss this. Yes you can borrow it. Is there anyway to make the track monitor image file having a higher resolution. I did try to enlarge the image 2X but it made the track monitor in-game disproportionate.

Thanks

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users