• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Convert RW model into OR compatible format Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Alessandro 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:24 AM

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right section. I was wondering if it's possible to convert an entire model ( Wagons, Locomotives ) made specifically for Railworks into OR format (with permission of the author), somebody knows how to do it?
Greetins

#2 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:26 AM

*IF* you have the original 3D Model(s), yes, it is possible. It's mostly about the internal hierarchy naming and using the right exporter. No original 3D model... sorry Charlie. No dice.

#3 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:51 PM

Alessandro, on 23 September 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right section. I was wondering if it's possible to convert an entire model ( Wagons, Locomotives ) made specifically for Railworks into OR format (with permission of the author), somebody knows how to do it?
Greetins
Just out of interest, I uninstalled Railworks years ago, what models are there that we don't have in MSTS or that are significantly better than existing MSTS/OR models? I asked as one of my very few add-ons I bought during my brief "affair" with RW was a GP38. I compared it with the best MSTS models and actually thought it was not much different. I've got some pictures I grabbed somewhere if folk find that hard to swallow.

#4 User is offline   Alessandro 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:16 AM

pwillard, on 23 September 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

*IF* you have the original 3D Model(s), yes, it is possible. It's mostly about the internal hierarchy naming and using the right exporter. No original 3D model... sorry Charlie. No dice.

Thanks for your reply, that's very useful.

#5 User is offline   Alessandro 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:28 AM

lateagain, on 23 September 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

Just out of interest, I uninstalled Railworks years ago, what models are there that we don't have in MSTS or that are significantly better than existing MSTS/OR models? I asked as one of my very few add-ons I bought during my brief "affair" with RW was a GP38. I compared it with the best MSTS models and actually thought it was not much different. I've got some pictures I grabbed somewhere if folk find that hard to swallow.

That's right, nowadays thanks to Or addons are similar, graphically and technically. I don't know about American/British locos. Here in Italy I can tell you that we have some mediocre models that need some tweaks, FS freight cars for RW are better made with more detailed textures and models

#6 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:03 AM

Alessandro, on 24 September 2020 - 01:28 AM, said:

That's right, nowadays thanks to Or addons are similar, graphically and technically. I don't know about American/British locos. Here in Italy I can tell you that we have some mediocre models that need some tweaks, FS freight cars for RW are better made with more detailed textures and models
I was thinking more about North American stock but now you explain I completely understand.

My interest in Railways has always been "International" and obviously being British I was interested in our own Railways. When a massive percentage of UK modelers dropped MSTS (and OR) in favour of RW it left only a few good UK modelers still producing new stuff. Sadly many of the really good ones just dropped MSTS/OR and went over to RW/TS20XX and sadly many of them seem to have given up on modelling altogether :unsure: . It was an easy choice for me to focus my Hobby on North America purely because there is new content and even new payware content.

I had some great European Routes in the past but sadly all lost in a HDD "melt down" :(

It's a shame that some cannot be persuaded to look back at where we're at with OR?

I occasionally look at new TS20XX content and especially routes and think they aren't even up to some of the best new MSTS/OR routes. ....and stock (however good) without decent routes to run on..... is pretty pointless?

#7 User is offline   Alessandro 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

Or has a great potential as we know, I am looking forward to find a solution

#8 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

I only have a few models that I worked on over the years and I am considering updating a few to higher standards since modern PC's and Video cards are so much better. With OR not having the polygon limitations that MSTS had, its kind of nice to give some of the very low poly models of the 2000's an OR upgrade.
Of course, in my case, I have the master files. (Though I mentioned that it's probably easier to just start over as my modeling tools are better now as well)

#9 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 02 January 2022 - 10:51 AM

Hi,

ThebraveT1, on 02 January 2022 - 06:53 AM, said:

Scottish Capital express has many engines, and cars but most of them are missing (except for the Class 27s). How do I fix that?

Can you please explain? Are you referring to the Open Rails Demo route? If so, then it is only a section of the route and a small selection of stock. Unfortunately, the original route and its extensions are no longer "legitimately" available.

Cheers,
Ged

#10 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 18 June 2023 - 01:43 AM

Alessandro, on 23 September 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

Greetins

Just of of technical interest i looked a bit into this and it seams like you can use TS-Tools to do a lot.
But since I don't have RW installed anymore, I could only view and convert a RW TgPcDx texture file into a png.
(I don't know anything about modding RW, it seams like the rwp file it just a zip, winrar open up when clicking on it)

Anyway with NinjaRipper 2 you can extract any DirectX game mesh and texture.
And as a test I ripped a submarine from a Subsim and imported into Blender 3.5.1,
and after 30 minutes of removing unwanted meshes(sky dome, watersplash, smokeeffect)
it looks pretty good, still much mesh/texture work ahead, but it much better that starting from scratch.

So assuming that you got RW-TS and Ninja works with that, Reshade (hooks) seams to conflict, you could rip the hole scene, import into blender remove all the RW proprietary mesh/texture and only keep the train you have permission for and export that to Open Rails.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users