Elvas Tower: Missing Loose Consists - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Loose Consists Consists Exist in Activity Editor but Are Missing in the Sim Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

Your Screen shot. That is the part of the ACT file that lists the loose consists and their contents. My comments concerning the nan error were about that part of your ACT file.

FYI That is what the SIMs (MSTS or ORTS) use to display the loose consists. When you take a Consist Listed in the Trains/Consists folder and place it in an activity the complete information from the CON file is placed in the ACT file. Any changes you wish to make to the LC HAVE to be made to it in the ACT file NOT in the CON file. Editing the CON file in the Trains/Consists folder has no affect on the Loose Consist enumerated in the ACT.

If you cannot find the boxcar Box_AAR1937_ATSF_E BLW_ZT_Boxcar_40_PRRthen then that is why the TSRE-CE calculated nan as it was a single WAD consist. If it had been a multi WAG consist then Mass of 1 Wag plus mass of nan = Mass of the 1 WAG and division by zero would not have occurred. This leads me to think that the TSRE-AE allows one to use CON files with missing WAGs to be used as Loose Consists. This reinforces the concept that one should make sure that one's Trainset has no errors prior to creating Activities.

"How to keep that from happening again?" You develop a procedure to use for every download/install of rolling stock to thoroughly test them prior to placing the new item into your main Trainset. I have an install named MSTS-Test. It has all the default rolling stock and all the Trainset/Common.XXX folders. New rolling stock is installed there and tested before adding the item to my A:\MSTS install that is on my SSD drive.

#22 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

A tip about using TSRE-CE:
Even though it has no "Consist Testing tool" it does have the capability of filtering the display to show only CON files with missing items.
To use make sure View includes Consist list.
Then in the Consist List locate the Filter pulldown and chose Broken.
Results is a list of CON files with missing items.

It would be handy if this filter would work for Loose consists also by listing all Broken Loose Consists in all activities in all routes. But it does not.

#23 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:08 AM

cr-stagg, on 14 September 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

Your Screen shot. That is the part of the ACT file that lists the loose consists and their contents. My comments concerning the nan error were about that part of your ACT file.

FYI That is what the SIMs (MSTS or ORTS) use to display the loose consists. When you take a Consist Listed in the Trains/Consists folder and place it in an activity the complete information from the CON file is placed in the ACT file. Any changes you wish to make to the LC HAVE to be made to it in the ACT file NOT in the CON file. Editing the CON file in the Trains/Consists folder has no affect on the Loose Consist enumerated in the ACT.

If you cannot find the boxcar Box_AAR1937_ATSF_E BLW_ZT_Boxcar_40_PRRthen then that is why the TSRE-CE calculated nan as it was a single WAD consist. If it had been a multi WAG consist then Mass of 1 Wag plus mass of nan = Mass of the 1 WAG and division by zero would not have occurred. This leads me to think that the TSRE-AE allows one to use CON files with missing WAGs to be used as Loose Consists. This reinforces the concept that one should make sure that one's Trainset has no errors prior to creating Activities.

"How to keep that from happening again?" You develop a procedure to use for every download/install of rolling stock to thoroughly test them prior to placing the new item into your main Trainset. I have an install named MSTS-Test. It has all the default rolling stock and all the Trainset/Common.XXX folders. New rolling stock is installed there and tested before adding the item to my A:\MSTS install that is on my SSD drive.

What you are saying makes sense about the missing file & the fact that I cannot find it anywhere. But it does lead me to another question. Not all of the missing loose consists in the sim had the corrupted piece of rolling stock in their consists. For the most part, all of the problems I am finding in the consists are related to 3 - 4 freight cars that have missing files, & I am currently going through each consist & eliminating those items. But, there are a number of other consists that I added in the AE as eye candy that do not show up in the sim. Most of these are unpowered loose consists placed on industrial sidings, some passing sidings, & freight yards. On routes where there is a passenger terminal, such as Chicago, I have also added a few passenger consists on station trackage that are in no way associated w/the equipment that has the missing files. Could it be that one can place loose consist files in the AE & have those consists show up in the sim until such time that one places a consist that contains equipment that has a missing file, thereby preventing any other consists from showing up? Just a thought...

#24 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

Nighthawk72, on 14 September 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

What you are saying makes sense about the missing file & the fact that I cannot find it anywhere. But it does lead me to another question. Not all of the missing loose consists in the sim had the corrupted piece of rolling stock in their consists. For the most part, all of the problems I am finding in the consists are related to 3 - 4 freight cars that have missing files, & I am currently going through each consist & eliminating those items. But, there are a number of other consists that I added in the AE as eye candy that do not show up in the sim. Most of these are unpowered loose consists placed on industrial sidings, some passing sidings, & freight yards. On routes where there is a passenger terminal, such as Chicago, I have also added a few passenger consists on station trackage that are in no way associated w/the equipment that has the missing files. Could it be that one can place loose consist files in the AE & have those consists show up in the sim until such time that one places a consist that contains equipment that has a missing file, thereby preventing any other consists from showing up? Just a thought...

All the more reason to make sure that your Trainset has no errors BEFORE creating Activities.

#25 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

cr-stagg, on 14 September 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

All the more reason to make sure that your Trainset has no errors BEFORE creating Activities.

That;s what I'm doing as we speak.....Thx for the help. clint

#26 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:29 AM

One final question...once all of the missing file errors have been corrected, will the loose consists previously added to the activity show up in the sim or should I simply delete that activity & start over completely?

#27 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

You are the only one that can answer that. I would test before I deleted.

#28 User is offline   AuzGnosis 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:54 AM

engmod, on 13 September 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

Hi Clint,

May I suggest Ged's MSTS_Actman ( available at trainsim.com library ) to check your activity.

The link provide points at a tslib.php file. The name of the file you are describing is msts_actman.zip which can
be easily found by searching downloads once you have logged into trainsim.com as they do not allow anonymous downloads.

Hope that helps folk. W'Shawn Gray

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users