Elvas Tower: Missing Loose Consists - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Loose Consists Consists Exist in Activity Editor but Are Missing in the Sim Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:58 AM

I have been adding loose consists to a new activity using the TSRE5 activity editor. When I first create the activity, I can add loose consists @ any location along the route w/no problem. I add the consist to the desired location & save the activity after each consist has been added. I've added consists @ multiple locations along the entire route in both freight classification yards, industrial sidings, &, in the case of passenger consists, in major stations if such a station exists on the route. Rarely however, am I able to completely populate the entire route in a single sitting. So when I'm done, I save the activity in the AE w/the intent of adding additional loose consists @ the next opportunity. What I have noticed is that afterward, when I run the sim, the consists that I added just after creating the activity are present in the sim, but those added a day or several days later are not there. I have gone back & rechecked the editor & the consists show up in the locations where I placed them. I've checked the route's Activity folder & all the loose consists added in the editor appear in the folder. But when I run the sim, those consists added later are not there. This situation does not appear to be route-specific b/c it has happened in several different routes over the past few weeks.
The obvious question is, am I sure I'm working in the same activity that I'm operating in when running the sim, and the answer is absolutely yes. I have verified that more times than I want to think about and have actually gone the extra step of hiding any other activities that might exist in the route in an entirely separate folder.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this & if so, what did you do about it. Any/all thoughts are greatly appreciated. clint

#2 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:11 PM

View PostNighthawk72, on 09 September 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

I have been adding loose consists to a new activity using the TSRE5 activity editor. When I first create the activity, I can add loose consists @ any location along the route w/no problem. I add the consist to the desired location & save the activity after each consist has been added. I've added consists @ multiple locations along the entire route in both freight classification yards, industrial sidings, &, in the case of passenger consists, in major stations if such a station exists on the route. Rarely however, am I able to completely populate the entire route in a single sitting. So when I'm done, I save the activity in the AE w/the intent of adding additional loose consists @ the next opportunity. What I have noticed is that afterward, when I run the sim, the consists that I added just after creating the activity are present in the sim, but those added a day or several days later are not there. I have gone back & rechecked the editor & the consists show up in the locations where I placed them. I've checked the route's Activity folder & all the loose consists added in the editor appear in the folder. But when I run the sim, those consists added later are not there. This situation does not appear to be route-specific b/c it has happened in several different routes over the past few weeks.
The obvious question is, am I sure I'm working in the same activity that I'm operating in when running the sim, and the answer is absolutely yes. I have verified that more times than I want to think about and have actually gone the extra step of hiding any other activities that might exist in the route in an entirely separate folder.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this & if so, what did you do about it. Any/all thoughts are greatly appreciated. clint

Not clear with what you are saying. Loose Consists are listed in the ACT file. They are not consist files within the Activities folder; they are sections within that ACT file.

The TSRE-AE uses the entry in its Consist Editor for "filename" to fill out the TrainCfg line as in TrainCfg ( "Static Box Cars XYZ siding" ) where as the MSTS AE just enters TrainCfg ( "" ) in the ACT files it creates. Also the TSRE-AE uses the Description line entry for the Name line following the TrainCfg lin where as the MSTS AE enters Name ( "Loose Consist' ) for every loose consist. This allows the Activity creator to clearly identify what is in a consist and where it is placed in the route. Thus when a user needs to edit a loose consist he can make an educated decision as the what type of wagon to use as replacement, this not putting a refer on a siding at a rock quarry.

#3 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 10 September 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

Not clear with what you are saying. Loose Consists are listed in the ACT file. They are not consist files within the Activities folder; they are sections within that ACT file.

The TSRE-AE uses the entry in its Consist Editor for "filename" to fill out the TrainCfg line as in TrainCfg ( "Static Box Cars XYZ siding" ) where as the MSTS AE just enters TrainCfg ( "" ) in the ACT files it creates. Also the TSRE-AE uses the Description line entry for the Name line following the TrainCfg lin where as the MSTS AE enters Name ( "Loose Consist' ) for every loose consist. This allows the Activity creator to clearly identify what is in a consist and where it is placed in the route. Thus when a user needs to edit a loose consist he can make an educated decision as the what type of wagon to use as replacement, this not putting a refer on a siding at a rock quarry.

Charles: Thank you for your response. What I am saying is that the information relating to each of the loose consists I added to the activity is contained w/n the route's Activity Folder under a separate Activity Object section for each loose consist. Information contained in that Activity Object Section includes the Object Type, TrainCfg info that identifies the train/consist name, Serial, MaxVelocity, NewWagonUID, Durability setting, followed by a list of each engine & wagon in the consist, followed by the Direction, ID, & Tile location. The information I was attempting to convey was that the route's Activity Folder contains all of the above information for each of the loose consists I have added to the route. And, each of those consists show up in the AE when I open it. However, when I launch the sim, only those consists that were added @ the time the activity was created appear in the sim. None of the consists added the following day or several days later appear in the sim, although their relevant information is contained in the Activity Folder & the consist appears in the Activity Editor when I reopen it.

Interestingly enough, I have also added numerous AI consists @ various times & this problem does not seem to impact AI services or traffic....only loose consists added @ random location along the route.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope this clarifies. clint

#4 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

Very clear, Clint.

Do you happen to have an OR Log.txt file from aa run of the ACT with missing loose consists you can post?

Do the Loose Consists also exist in your Trains\Consists folder? Can you test them with a Consist file tester? Looking for particularly missing Shape files.

#5 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:02 AM

Good Morning: I have attached a copy of the most recent OR log file as well as 2 jpg's that, hopefully, clearly show what I have been trying to describe. The first jpg is of a freight yard where I placed a number of loose consists using the AE in TSRE5. The second jpg shows that same freight yard when I opened the sim. Yesterday, I deleted all files relating to previous activities contained in this route & created an entirely new one. Added a number of loose consists. Not sure how to quantify the number of consists, but its a lot. All consists appear in both the Activity Objects List in the AE as well as in the Activity folder in the route itself. Before launching the sim, I closed AE & reopened it & added a few more consists. Then launched the sim starting @ various locations to confirm that the consists were actually present. A few were, but the vast majority were not. Those which are missing range in size from single engine or wagon to lengthy consists of 50-110 wagons each. Some are powered & some are just unpowered yard consists.
As an experiment, I also added some random scenery objects to see if they appeared in the sim & all of those objects were in fact present. So, to me, that suggests that you are correct in that the problem may be w/the consists themselves. I use the TSRE5 Consist Editor to create/modify all consists, & have been using it w/o any apparent problems for more than a year. All of the consists are present in that consist folder.
I am not familiar w/the consist tester you are referring to. Where might I find it & I will certainly give it a try & see what happens. thx...clint

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

My initial thought that the Windows Security was causing your problem is not valid as your install is not in any of the protected folders.

Have you looked at the Log File? You could spend 3 days fixing all the problems reported there. With the numerous Not a Number "Nan" errors in the Loose Consist area of the ACT file it is impossible to tell what is wrong. Also you have numerous suffix N/m errors. Those are probably on Coupler Dampning lines where the suffix should be N/m/s not N/m.

The Consist testers I was referring to were the CEs ConBuilder and Convoi, and the Utility RouteRiter.

Could you also post your Transition Era-1945-55.act? I want to check it for extraneous Closing Parens as that could cause the sim to stop reading the ACT file.

#7 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 12 September 2020 - 10:15 AM, said:

My initial thought that the Windows Security was causing your problem is not valid as your install is not in any of the protected folders.

Have you looked at the Log File? You could spend 3 days fixing all the problems reported there. With the numerous Not a Number "Nan" errors in the Loose Consist area of the ACT file it is impossible to tell what is wrong. Also you have numerous suffix N/m errors. Those are probably on Coupler Dampning lines where the suffix should be N/m/s not N/m.

The Consist testers I was referring to were the CEs ConBuilder and Convoi, and the Utility RouteRiter.

Could you also post your Transition Era-1945-55.act? I want to check it for extraneous Closing Parens as that could cause the sim to stop reading the ACT file.

#8 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

Charles: I tried posting the act file but can't do so. Get an error message saying that I am not allowed to post this type of file. And, yes, I have checked the log & noted the errors. However, some of the consists that show up as having missing files actually show up in the sim. Some, in fact, have been in actual players. So, I didn't think that was the problem.
Sorry, but I have to leave in a few minutes & will be out the remainder of today. Will get back on this tomorrow. Thanks for your help & comments. Back tomorrow...c

#9 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

View PostNighthawk72, on 12 September 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

Charles: I tried posting the act file but can't do so. Get an error message saying that I am not allowed to post this type of file. And, yes, I have checked the log & noted the errors. However, some of the consists that show up as having missing files actually show up in the sim. Some, in fact, have been in actual players. So, I didn't think that was the problem.
Sorry, but I have to leave in a few minutes & will be out the remainder of today. Will get back on this tomorrow. Thanks for your help & comments. Back tomorrow...c
I won't be back either until after 11am tomorrow. When you cannot post a file because of file type just ZIP the file and post the ZIP.

#10 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

Charles: I apologize for the delayed response. Real life has a way of changing one's plans from time to time.
First, I have attached a zipped copy of the activity to this post. Next, if I interpret your last post correctly, the short version is that I have a lot of corrupted engine & rolling stock files & those files have in turn corrupted some of my consist files which have in turn caused those particular consists to become non-functional in the sim. Although I primarily use the TSRE Consist Editor, I do have a version of ConBuilder installed on this pc, so hopefully, I can utilize the CE in CB to fix some of the mess. Pls let me know if you find any errors in the attached activity. Thx again for your assistance. clint

Attached File(s)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users