• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D&RGW K-28 locomotive 476 Rotating cowcatcher in OpenRails Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   j3ahudson 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:19 AM

I have encountered a problem with the D&RGW K-28 locomotive 476 available in the downloads. On running up in OpenRails the cowcatcher rotates seemingly with the pilot wheels. I have checked the S file with Shape Viewer and the model animates with out the rotating cowcatcher, also I have searched for a fix but not been able to find one published. I would be pleased to know if this issue can be fixed, and how.

Thanks in anticipation,
Alan (j3ahudson)

#2 User is offline   Crimsonfloyd 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:49 AM

Hi Alan,
This isn`t really a "fix" but there are two versions of the same locomotive in the library by the same person, one put out in 2011 the other in 2015. I had the same issue then noticed I had two K28`s with the same number so I changed them and didn`t have that issue anymore.

Mark

#3 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:30 PM

Objects rotating when they shouldn't usually has to do with the hierarchy naming within the .s file. MSTS will only automatically animate objects within a shape under certain circumstances even if the name suggests it should be animated. OpenRails however, will animate anything named "WHEELS". The MSTS version of the K-28 has the pilot's object in the main .s file named "WHEELS1". While it worked fine in MSTS, OpenRails sees "WHEELS1" and decides to do you a favor by automatically animating that object as if it were a wheel.

Sometimes you can uncompress the shape file and change the node's name and solve the problem this way. I tried and cannot get the MSTS version to play nice.

There is an OpenRails (ORTS-Only) version of the K-28 in the file library, and I strongly recommend downloading and using that. instead. It works perfectly.

#4 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

Hi Alan. That is a known issue with that locomotive in OR. You have the original version from 2011. I think it was fixable but it takes some doing. The 2015 version is the fix for the problem and has a little more detail. Just download that version and you will be good to go.

#5 User is offline   j3ahudson 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:00 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful and informative replies. I have downloaded the OR version, removed the MSTS version, corrected my consists and all is good.
Looked down the downloads twice but did not spot the OR version. A case of looking but not seeing. Duh. And yes the OR model is really good.

Once again thank all for your help and bpratt for another great model.
Alan

#6 User is offline   AuzGnosis 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

G'day Fleegale411,
Last October you touched on a topic of "hierarchy naming within the .s file" that is especially relevant to me now as I build my first steam locomotive. Because ".s file" contains a string less than three characters long I have had next no luck bring up much details on how Open-Rails works with, or on these files. I have looked at the shape_file_spec.txt but all that says is the field's storage formatting allocation.

"hierarchy ==> :uint,Count {:sint,MatrixID} . # Array if _indices into the matrix array. sint = signed int?"

Fleegle411, on 09 September 2020 - 03:30 PM, said:

Objects rotating when they shouldn't usually has to do with the hierarchy naming within the .s file. MSTS will only automatically animate objects within a shape under certain circumstances even if the name suggests it should be animated. OpenRails however, will animate anything named "WHEELS". The MSTS version of the K-28 has the pilot's object in the main .s file named "WHEELS1". While it worked fine in MSTS,

Sometimes you can uncompress the shape file and change the node's name and solve the problem this way. I tried and cannot get the MSTS version to play nice.

There is an OpenRails (ORTS-Only) version of the K-28 in the file library, and I strongly recommend downloading and using that. instead. It works perfectly.

So prior to reading this post just now I had been intending to avoid the word 'Wheels' altogether, choosing more specific descriptors such as Pilot, LastDriverSet, BlindDriver so as to avoid confusing myself as to which particular wheel set WHEELS4 was. Or does by chance DRIVERS provide the same sort of indicator of desired behavior to following program as "WHEELS" does now?

Thus to my question. Where would I be able to find details of the Shape File "hierarchy naming"? What (if any) are reserved words (with automatic implications) that I should avoid? Are those labels, name case-sensitive?

Many thanks. Shawn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users