Elvas Tower: Timetable for "freelance" operations - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timetable for "freelance" operations Can't couple to timetable freight car loads Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DAR8137 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:55 PM

I created a test time table with 2 trains with engines and 7 freight car consists (no engines). It looks pretty nice to have sidings populated with something just like the real world. Years ago I did the same thing with MSTS.

Problem is, can't couple to the freight car consists like I used to in MSTS. I end up just driving right through them.

Noted a comment in the docs that says you can't couple to a static train. I see nowhere where I specifically declared them static.

Is there anyway to make these consists with no engines an active or non-static entity so I can couple to them?

Attached Image: Open Rails 2020-09-07 08-20-36.jpg

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 September 2020 - 11:39 PM

No.
The only way you can couple to cars is if there is a $attach, $pickup or $transfer command set for that action.
The reason for this is that the basic principle of timetables is that it may make no difference which train is selected as player train. So one day you will run this train to pick up that cars as player train, but on some other day you run another train and that train which is to pick up those cars is then an AI train. That AI train will have to be told what to do, and furthermore you, as player, need to do things the same way as that AI. So the AI train needs those commands and the player will have to stick to them as well.

See this post for a demonstration timetable which includes freight trains. That timetable also shows the necessity of this rule - some wagons are handled by more than one train, which makes it necessary that those trains work to the same rules both as AI and as player.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:34 AM

I`m not going to contradict Rob`s post above. I accept the argument that Ai and player trains need to be interchangable.A player can not alter static (loose) consists needed by AI trains later in the timetable
However,I think the OP has framed "freelance" operations as a very desirable development of timetable mode. A next step if you like, for shunting in timetables.

It is very tedious for a timetable compiler to have to detail every move in shunting, entailing multiple paths and train columns.
Nor does a real life timetable (tt) do this. My 1950`s British Railways working tt has entries like " Carriage shunting 1 hour" "freight shunting 08;00- 10:00" "engine [steam] requirements 30min". So parts of real timetables are "freelance" in real life, and are handled by the train crew and yard staff.

So how might this be done in timetable mode? TTmode could be left by entering manual mode, ctrl-M, allowing player movement off path. On completion of shunting, return to the location, back on path, CtrlM again to resume auto mode.
The F9 train operations window needs to be enabled for coupling in manual mode.
A very desirable advance for minimal code change. Sure, the free lance player can screw up the tt, just as in real life a dispatcher would know that adding too many cars will cause problems later in the route.
We could make some aids to avoid problems.
So thanks DAR8137 for suggesting tt freelance operations
Rick

#4 User is offline   DAR8137 

• Apprentice

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

Seems completely logical to me. So I check the online manual but fail to see those modifiers for a consist in the docs. Decided to give it a shot anyways on just one consist so added the $pickup to my consist as in #consist <consist name>$pickup as a guess to the syntax but received a "Timetable:<load error:ttname>

Do I need to be running the stable verion or the testing version?
Is my syntax conrrect?

Attached Image: clipimage.jpg

roeter, on 07 September 2020 - 11:39 PM, said:

No.
The only way you can couple to cars is if there is a $attach, $pickup or $transfer command set for that action.
The reason for this is that the basic principle of timetables is that it may make no difference which train is selected as player train. So one day you will run this train to pick up that cars as player train, but on some other day you run another train and that train which is to pick up those cars is then an AI train. That AI train will have to be told what to do, and furthermore you, as player, need to do things the same way as that AI. So the AI train needs those commands and the player will have to stick to them as well.

See this post for a demonstration timetable which includes freight trains. That timetable also shows the necessity of this rule - some wagons are handled by more than one train, which makes it necessary that those trains work to the same rules both as AI and as player.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

I have just completed an update to the timetable chapter, which includes all of the missing commands and qualifiers - including some that are missing from Rob's PDF manual. My changes have not yet been incorporated into the official manual, so until then you can read my version on my website: https://stuff.app.yo.../timetable.html

#6 User is offline   DAR8137 

• Apprentice

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

YoRyan, on 08 September 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

I have just completed an update to the timetable chapter, which includes all of the missing commands and qualifiers - including some that are missing from Rob's PDF manual. My changes have not yet been incorporated into the official manual, so until then you can read my version on my website: https://stuff.app.yo.../timetable.html

What version of OR should I be running - Test or Stable? Do I need to update an executable in either to use these additional features?

#7 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

I believe there have not been any changes to timetable mode since version 1.3.1, so your version should not matter.

#8 User is offline   DAR8137 

• Apprentice

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:19 PM

YoRyan, on 08 September 2020 - 06:07 PM, said:

I believe there have not been any changes to timetable mode since version 1.3.1, so your version should not matter.

Thanks for that. The timetable to me is pretty complex and I have no need to schedule AI trains to the level possible.

Perhaps if I explain a little more thoroughly what I want to do:

Freelance:
Set up powered consists on very short paths that do not cross any switches.
Set freight car consists (unpowered) on sidings on a very short path that does not exit the siding.
Each column locates a consist, powered or unpowered.
Start Open rails in timetable mode.
Select the powered consist.
Start the game.
Using the powered consist selected, couple, uncouple, pick up freight unpowered consists on sidings and pass through tracks and add to train or drop freight cars off on sidings.
Using Alt-F9, switch to any other powered unit (that is stopped from the start or has been stopped) and do the same as above.
Be able to couple to another powered consist or cars from that powered consist that have been uncoupled to move those cars to wherever.
Be able to connect to another powered consist to add an engine.
Be able to recouple to the consist you left to pick up other loads.

How I am trying to do this that at least lets me set out unpowered consists but will not let me couple to them:

Attached Image: clipimage.jpg

So is this possible? Have I missed some available commands and modifiers? Is there a better way to do this within OR?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users