• You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE5 and ref files Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:41 PM

Then, I will experiment with that, keeping in mind briefness and precise. As possible.
In addition, I would note, that composing quite good, informative and convient for use reference file looks like separate creative work inside route building activity.

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:04 PM

Weter, on 10 June 2021 - 03:41 PM, said:

In addition, I would note, that composing quite good, informative and convient for use reference file looks like separate creative work inside route building activity.

My editor can show lines of any length w/o wrapping (I can toggle that on or off) and allows me to find and edit control characters like next line and tab. This lets me produce a ref file that looks like this:

Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Bosworth_Foundry.s )		Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Bosworth Foundry" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Cortland_Ave_Shipping.s )	        Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Cortland Ave Shipping" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Felt_and_Tarrant.s )		Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Felt & Tarrant" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Hanna_Engineering.s )		Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Hanna Engineering" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_John_Bader_Fence.s )		Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B John Bader Fence" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_NW_Yeast.s )			Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Northwest Yeast" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Roth_Fuel.s )			Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Roth Fuel" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Standard_Oil.s )		        Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Standard Oil" ) )
Static ( Class ( "Bldgs - B" ) Filename  ( GI_Universal_Freight.s )		Shadow ( Dynamic ) Description ( "B Universal Freight" ) )

Once converted it is easier to add new entries... I find this to be vastly easier to read and work with and it makes any copy/paste of several items trivial as compared to the multi-line format.

The same can be done to all data files read by wither MSTS or OR, tho the world editors will put the .w file back into multi-line when a save is done.

#13 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:02 AM

Thank you, Dave.
As soon as "wide" displays became standard, such configuration of lines has even more sence.
So, one item-one line? The rest is question of taste/matter of habit.

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:11 AM

On trainsim.com you can find two tools to clean up your ref-file and get it sorted, RefClean and RefView.
I use RefClean and have done for many years and it helps to keep things organized.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:52 PM

Thank you, Robert.
It s very flattering to me, that you and Dave repeated your recommendations for me personally.
I have red your post upper here (dated September 2020), interested and decided to try refclean, checked TScom's file library for it and discovered it and refview there.
The second is beta-version now, so before I download some of them, maybe you would say some words about that: what is it (yes, author said, it's better in some cases), and why first one is more preferable to you?

Of course, any automation of any routine will save a lot of time and energy, during creative process. As virtual apprentices.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users