Center Camera on Center of Car Please? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostYoRyan, on 03 September 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

I have filed a Trello card for this change. If management approves, I will file a PR.

Thanks for sorting out a patch. Please go ahead and submit a PR.

We'll see the changed behaviour then in the Unstable version and our "early adopters" can decide whether they like it or not over a week or two. If there's an outcry, we can revert; if not, we can keep it.

I feel Dave's pain over the Camera Sets, which was started and then languished. If no one else gets there first, it might bubble up to the top of the stack eventually.

#12 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

PR has been filed.

I'll put "camera overhaul" on my list of long-term project ideas. :)

#13 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 03 September 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

PR has been filed.

I'll put "camera overhaul" on my list of long-term project ideas.

Thanks for the PR.

If you're adding "camera overhaul" to a list somewhere, then do add a link to Dave's proposal for how it might behave from the user's "point of view"<grin>.

#14 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:49 AM

Thank you YoRyan and cjakeman for listening and addressing this. I think people will be happy with this change.

#15 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

Oh, wow, I'm so glad this was finally fixed. It's incredibly distracting and makes inspecting new models much more difficult than it needs to be when panning around the center requires a barrage of constant camera adjustments as the camera pivots around the coupler. Under the last system, sure, I could inspect both ends of the car using the #2 and #3 cameras, then switch to #4 and find the car and zoom in if I wanted to pan around the center. But that meant way more navigation than was actually what I wanted to do, especially when I have dozens of cars models to inspect quickly. Using the command to move the camera was a dead end because it was just more time wasted adjusting the position to do a simple thing that every other sim does by default, plus, if you changed views or moved from car to car you had to do it all over again. It was a massive waste of my time.

Because there are only four or five active content developers left, I think that people forget that building models is a constant barrage of exporting, loading, testing, exiting, adjusting, loading, testing, exiting, and repeating. Requiring complex combinations of keystrokes to accomplish basic tasks gets very frustrating (which is why I'm really not digging how the sim starts up paused of late). There is a common trend in modern software development where the most frequently used basic functions require navigation of complex sub-menus where previous versions were never more than one click or keyboard shortcut away - Microsoft Office 2016 is a major offender.

TL;DR, I'm very pleased with this change.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users