Elvas Tower: "Manual Braking" - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Manual Braking" Unbraked Cars Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:29 AM

In the early days of railways brakes were either only fitted to locomotives and/or brakevans. Industrial railways also often had braking only on the locomotive, or in some instances brakemen stationed on each car to manually operate the brakes.

For example, as a side project, I am currently working on a timber railway, and this railway had grades as steep as 1 in 7 (14%) , and the logging cars were each controlled by a brakeman using a block and tackle arrangement to apply the brakes as required. Naturally this lead to some interesting operational situations as depicted in this video. It was stated that a brakeman that made it to lunchtime on his first day on the job without leaving, was likely to stay on, otherwise they would need to look for a new brakeman.

Automatic brakes added to all cars were phased in from the late 1800s, mostly for mainline types of trains.

In some instances the use of unbraked cars persistence into the late 1900s.

Whilst this type of operation is able to be "mocked up" by the current functionality of using unbraked "piped only" cars it doesn't (IMO) achieve an "authentic" scenario.

I am therefore proposing to introduce a "manual braking" control into OR, which in effect will allow for unbraked cars to be placed into the consist and controlled separately to the train and engine brakes. Hence a brakeman type of functionality will be created.

A new brake control will be created to allow operation of brakes on brakevans (and other cars designated as manual braking") to facilitate this.

The current Train and Engine brake will remain as they are, thus the train operator, depending upon wagon configuration, may have up to three different types of brake available to them to operate.

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

It can be interesting in context of hystorical Rolling-stock.
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:33 AM

that's really cool addition. Especially when fighting long, steep grades.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:06 PM

Sort-of http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gifalert, since I cannot comment on the feature proposal - see below why.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif for sharing this info and especially the video. I knew a little about how braking a train was done back in those days, but - as the saying goes - a picture is worth a thousand words. Geez, I thought I was doing a dangerous (summer) job, working as a blasting assistant at a limestone quarry, but I would not want to switch with those guys!
Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:37 PM

For interest, whilst doing some research for manual brakes I also can across this method of braking - Rocket.

And for a bit of fun to demonstrate a well run railway.

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 17 August 2020 - 03:29 AM, said:

For example, as a side project, I am currently working on a timber railway, and this railway had grades as steep as 1 in 7 (14%) , and the logging cars were each controlled by a brakeman using a block and tackle arrangement to apply the brakes as required. Naturally this lead to some interesting operational situations as depicted in this video.

Amazing bit of film. Those men winding their winches must have some musclepower.

Have you thought how the player is going to control the brakes on your individually braked vehicles?

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 26 August 2020 - 10:37 AM, said:

Have you thought how the player is going to control the brakes on your individually braked vehicles?

I will be adding an extra controller which will only operate manual brakes, ie a brakeman function.

Hence the user will have three possible brake functions at their disposal, ie Train, Engine, Brakeman.

These will be able to be added or subtracted as desired (hopefully).

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:46 PM

A number of scenarios have now been coded for manual braking.

To demonstrate them, some stock (and in some instances test routes) will be available on the CTN site. A new thread will be started for the first one based upon the Rainhill Trial (link to route available through this thread) as it is an interesting piece of railway history.

The first scenario is based upon the Rocket, and Rainhill trials where no brakes were provided on any of the rolling stock. To stop the train the driver had to reduce reduce the steam pressure to zero, and then put the reverser in reverse. The steam pressure could then be reapplied, and the train stopped.
Further scenarios will follow.

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:58 AM

As a second scenario, I have added the timber railway described in the first post in this thread. It had gradients of up 14.4% ( 1 in 7 ) and ran trains with brakemen on individual wagons, and steam brakes on the locomotive.

Some cars were also unbraked (if a brakeman was not assigned to the car).

This route can also be used to test the performance of geared steam locomotives.

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:06 AM

A third demonstration activity has been created to demonstrate another potential manual braking scenario.

This one challenges the user to safely take a mixed vacuum/manual braked train down a 1 in 40 gradient.

I get very little feedback for any of the demonstration activities that I have created. So I am beginning to think that they are not of interest to anybody, and people prefer to find out how to set up stock on their own. Is this the case?

If there is no interest in demonstration activities, I will cease creating them when I create new OR functionality and put my time to other uses.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users