• You cannot reply to this topic

Game Store For OpenRails Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LaughableOrc 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:09 AM

I had this idea of creating a software which acts like an in game store basically you click install and it downloads the files from cloud and saves it to the respective location, this makes the process of installing routes, train sets etc. a lot easier...

If anyone can help me with this it will be much appreciated :)

Kind Regards,
LaughableOrc

This post has been edited by LaughableOrc: 17 August 2020 - 01:09 AM

#2 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:36 AM

Hi LaughableOrc,
Simple questions - how do the files get into the Cloud to start with? What about payware routes/stock?

If you're referring to your own personal 'cloud', that's a different story, but I don't think you are!!

Cheers,
Ged

#3 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

I dont think that is a good idea ...for it involves storage of files in the mythical "cloud" where anything can and will be done with and to them, and then opening up our personal computers to acccess to some auto installer that would then inject and activate files into our own systems.

Just too many security issues. I would not for instance allow my own files to be stored in such a way without my permissoin and i don't have time to go thru and review and monitor the process.

Just my two cents.

The minimal labor of using the installer for Open Rails is not much effort to take and choosing files and assets to include, routes and running stock is part of the enjoyment of using a train sim.

Chris

#4 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostLaughableOrc, on 17 August 2020 - 01:09 AM, said:

I had this idea of creating a software which acts like an in game store basically you click install and it downloads the files from cloud and saves it to the respective location, this makes the process of installing routes, train sets etc. a lot easier...

If anyone can help me with this it will be much appreciated :)

Kind Regards,
LaughableOrc

Personally. I doubt I would utilize such a program. The only program that I have had to install more than once is MSTS itself and its add-ons. All my routes are in a mini-route format and reside on a separate RAID drive, thus I never have had to re-install them.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

I have to agree with all the others who doubt they would ever use such a program.

I know that Trainz has such a kind of content manager and I also dabbled with it more than once, but never got my head around it.

To be honest, I do want to know what belong together and not have a program auto-download who knows what kind of stuff, that will then have names I do not even know.

No, I like it the "old way", tracking down things myself, or deciding to not track something down, but use a "replacement" i have already installed. Plus, all I need to do that is an internet browser, windows explorer and notepad (OK, admittedly, something like notepad++ will help, but it's not necessary).

Additionally, in the past we have had severe - and I mean SEVERE - problems with a certain person who tried to make content of various sources available at his site, without asking for permission, but charging a fee for this "service". It caused quite some uproar in the community and sure left us with a "bad aftertaste" when it comes to "centralized content delivery"...

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users