Elvas Tower: Free camera enhancement proposal - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free camera enhancement proposal Let's discuss an addition of 8 camera functionality Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Free camera enhancement proposal (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What do You mind?

1. Good idea (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Not interesting (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

Since I'm observing new routes, I find it not so handy-to hold Shift+PgUp continiously, when I'm going to "fly" with free camera along a track. More tediously was to control the camera trajectory, operating notebook witout a mouse - only by touchpad.

So, I have an idea: what about to enhance 8-key (free) camera control, for let it move at controlled-by-player direction with desired speed, just like aircraft is controlled (I remembered GoogleEarth's fly-sim plugin)?

So, we could specify the mowing speed (like plane's throttle) only by short +/- keypress, then, the camera flyes forward (or, maybe, backward) at defined speed, so we have only to control rotation (X-axis) and pitch (Y-axis) of the camera, like joystick, with only one or two fingers, or swipe on touchpad.

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

My take: Camera views are fine as is. No need to dedicate keys to 'flying' http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/negative.gif

regards,
vince

#3 User is online   Weter 

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:57 PM

Also, we could follow moving train mole freely, than using 2&3 trailing cameras.

#4 User is online   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:32 AM

I see that the current system is comfortable for lefties, but right-handers have to do contortions to operate the flight keys with the left hand and the mouse with the right.

I also think that there are more interesting things to develop than what is proposed here.

#5 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

I think if we're going to do anything with cameras, we ought to fix the pivot point in the #2 and 3 views first.

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

Rather than use the keyboard how about a joystick as is used in Google Earth? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dance3.gif

vince

#7 User is online   Weter 

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

The fork with four teeth is for garnish; with three-for fish; with two-for meat, and the fork with one tooth...is a knife.
The mouse with right button pressed is something like joystick(and we have this camera control since MSTS'2001), but if You have only touchpad...

#8 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:57 AM

I vote with my thumbs down, because I think that the priority of open rails is not the management of the views but rather having an accurate activity editor that also allows you to use the rolling stock no longer digested by the msts activity editor, and I think it is also essential to develop the simulator in the driving and graphics field ..

#9 User is online   Weter 

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

Baldo, I agree with You all 100%, but sometimes I (and I hope, I'm not lonely) want not to drive, or test, or count, but just start ORTS and rest, enjoying of watching trains moving, like "Norvegian slow TV" and so, this is the part of ORTS purpose.
Another thing (as I said already) is then I want to explore new-downloaded route to watch the quality of route-building, the geography of route, etc.
There's amazing new camera, which flyes around moving train, like at "action-cinema", but it "flyes" close to train automatically, so not controlled by the player.

#10 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:42 AM

I agree with what you say, mine was more 'than anything else a general thought on the concept of simulation.
Even I sometimes when I want to test something, or at least I don't want to simulate, I want to enjoy some free scenery ... for example when I want to make a video montage to be published on Youtube or other platforms :-)

In any case, having a simulator that satisfies the user in several parts, in my opinion is synonymous with success and durability

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users