Elvas Tower: Free camera enhancement proposal - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free camera enhancement proposal Let's discuss an addition of 8 camera functionality Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Free camera enhancement proposal (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What do You mind?

1. Good idea (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Not interesting (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

In the export direction, sure, have at it with a text editor. It's importing .S files with foreign "ORTS" properties that would cause problems. (But it occurs to me that an in include-file system would circumvent this issue.)

Look, put down your pitchforks; .S is safe, it's just that I don't believe it's worth anyone's time (developer or content creator) to hack in features it was never intended to support. You're concerned about driving content creators away, but I know for a fact there are others who consider the limited feature set available in .S a serious handicap for their content.

...But regardless of whichever way you decide to implement bump mapping with, you've got to touch the graphics code, ergo, it's a no-go idea until the Monogame merge.

#22 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 22 September 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

Look, put down your pitchforks; .S is safe, it's just that I don't believe it's worth anyone's time (developer or content creator) to hack in features it was never intended to support. You're concerned about driving content creators away, but I know for a fact there are others who consider the limited feature set available in .S a serious handicap for their content.

The pitchfork is frustration over where the project is. To be clear it is not personal, not you, not anyone else who has been so generously giving of their time. The project is 10 years old; what has been accomplished is a fine MSTS emulator. FWIW that was never the original goal; what was intended was a new simulator with new features for which old MSTS could be pulled in. That could have included porting world files, porting .wag and .eng files to something that allowed new features. It could have happened at any time but it did not.

It looks like the program has instead walked up a blind alley and found a wall at the end. Certainly not your fault. Probably not any one persons fault. But there it is.

As far as following the advance of technology, yes, that is huge opportunity to everyone from this program. It's taken a bit longer but it is a very necessary good thing. The work James does cleaning up the code is also a necessary good thing -- and outside of the team is almost completely unaccredited. That's not fair. And of course others have made important contributions too. Very earnestly, a BIG thank you.

FWIW, I've been an admin on this board for 17 years, owner for more than 12. I want to get my routes done and out the door. I want to continue to work on content, especially cars. And other than 64 bit software, plenty of RAM, and a fast CPU and GPU not much has changed over that time that makes any difference in what I work on or what the end result looks like.

#23 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

New developers come to this project as a matter of personal interest. It is not a big stretch to accept that they will have their own ideas which in time come out to this project. With a little encouragement, said developer will accept "some" guidance from those of us who have been with this project for many years. When I read the request/demands of those who wish that their pet feature be implemented regardless of the original direction said developer has put forward, I cannot help but assume that those pet features in turn dissuade said developer from contributing.

One must always assume that the proposals that a new developer might put forward is in the limit of their expertise. It is not inconceivable that insistence to further enhancements well beyond the initial proposal might/will, put off/scare off this new developer.

It is not impossible to accept that certain if not many enhancements and contributions put forward by said developer were not in the initial purview of those who have been with this project for a long time. At best we can carefully suggest where we would like this project to go, but only after said developer has moved forward with the project on their own. At worst a new feature/enhancement is stillborn due to perhaps excessive demands.

Let the developer do their "thing", and you might very well be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Carlo has done this time and time again, I do not think there are many people taking exception to what he has done, and as a big plus is often open to changes, once, he has completed his work.

Steve

#24 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:30 PM

Yes, that's all true. That doesn't alter my frustration.

I'll eave you all to get on with whatever you want to do.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users