Elvas Tower: Free camera enhancement proposal - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free camera enhancement proposal Let's discuss an addition of 8 camera functionality Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Free camera enhancement proposal (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What do You mind?

1. Good idea (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Not interesting (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

It usually beeps, offering to turn on some "special capabilities" when you pressed right Shift 5(or more) times series.
Try to press left Shift with PguUp.
By the way, right Alt rotates camera more smooth, than left.

#12 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

You can turn off the special key functions in your computer's Control Panel or Settings (depending on the OS). I think they're under Accessibility or something like that.

I do think the free camera could move a bit faster. Doing 60 it is difficult to get ahead of a train to verify that crossing signals are set up properly

#13 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

I like the one in TSRE where you can pick three different speeds.
It would be nice to be able to lock the elevation to the terrain also.

Steve

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

IMO the best improvement for cameras is to implement something akin tot he camera set proposal I've made. It has a camfig and 10 cameras per set where you can have one set defined for front tracking, another for rear tracking, and so on. You can even have one set that is exactly like KUJU's cameras.

That said, in the grand scheme of things hasn't enough already been done for those who run trains? You know, like 99.9% of everything in this program. How about us content creators and route builders getting something for a change? Ya all got nothing w/o routes and content and almost nothing is what's been given back by this program.

#15 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

No major changes can be made to OR until the Monogame port is complete, and even then, any content improvements need to come after the non-sexy stuff like a new content directory structure and new JSON formats for rolling stock, activities, and routes. I too wish things were different, but that's just the way they are.

#16 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

View Postxavivilla, on 08 August 2020 - 03:32 AM, said:

I see that the current system is comfortable for lefties, but right-handers have to do contortions to operate the flight keys with the left hand and the mouse with the right.

I also think that there are more interesting things to develop than what is proposed here.

I wouldn't be for changing the views. But I will say that it's nice that someone thought of us Left Handed folks for a change. :rotfl:

#17 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:56 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 21 September 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

That said, in the grand scheme of things hasn't enough already been done for those who run trains? You know, like 99.9% of everything in this program. How about us content creators and route builders getting something for a change? Ya all got nothing w/o routes and content and almost nothing is what's been given back by this program.

So, Dave, can you nominate an improvement for the benefit of content creators which is short and sweet?

Low-hanging fruit, of course, but starting us on the road to bigger things.

#18 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 22 September 2020 - 04:56 AM, said:

So, Dave, can you nominate an improvement for the benefit of content creators which is short and sweet?

Low-hanging fruit, of course, but starting us on the road to bigger things.

Well... I had a spiffy answer typed and was moments away from hitting post when my hand slipped on the mouse and somehow the browser window closed. <sigh> So lemme see if I can reconstruct it....

Biggest band would probably be enhancing the .s file, even if that meant hand editing a few lines. What I have in mind is things like a texture w/ bumpmaps. Once upon a time glossmaps were hand edited too but I've no idea if OR processed those. I'm sure other model makers have ideas here. For myself, I'd really like to see something akin to what happens w/ the trasnform a microtex file does to it's terrtex. Not necessarily the same many to one scale but more to the idea of two faces occupying the same space with the texture of one of affecting the texture of the other.

I once laid out some ideas for reworking the relationship between a mesh file, it's default textures, and n number of game objects that can substitute both LOD values and texture names.

Accepting that the .sd file is the place to put game controls for things that cannot be set in the 3d modeling tool. The lowest hanging fruit is things like time of day to turn on and off night lighting, an old suggestion. That should be recorded in the world file by the editor but that isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever, and so some alternative is needed to get it to the software. An .inc file? Checking the .sd itself for such instructions? I dunno. Cones of light that are not on locomotives. There specifications need to go somewhere, why not the .sd? Nesting models: The model placed in the world file has an .sd that specifies where n other models sit relative to each other. The subordinate models retain their LOD's. The parent model could be those faces that share a texture. Sort of a modified named parts idea for static models. This probably could also fix some long standing problems with complex locomotives.

By the numbers, there are not many content producers left. It may be their ship has sailed and it doesn't matter anymore. The .s file is common to both rolling stock and static model creators so that should be the priority (unless that's not low hanging fruit).

#19 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 22 September 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

... The .s file is common to both rolling stock and static model creators so that should be the priority (unless that's not low hanging fruit).

The thing is, it's not low-hanging fruit. You can't add new features to the .S format without breaking everyone's tooling - the Gmax and Blender exporters, Shape File Viewer, Train Sim Modeler, TSRE. So a better course of action would be to switch to a more contemporary and more interoperable format with the features we want. But that means touching the graphics code, which again, can't happen until Monogame is merged.

#20 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 22 September 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

The thing is, it's not low-hanging fruit. You can't add new features to the .S format without breaking everyone's tooling.

Sure you can. It's already been done w/ glossmaps. You pull you .s file into a text editor and start hacking. You keep an unhacked version in case you need to go back into the 3dmodeling software. Of course it would be better if everything neat could all be done in 3dmodelling software and I expect the modern / really expensive packages can do that. But there is still an ocean basin filled with old .s files that could be hacked as well as those who know those old tools.

I respect what one can do w/ Blender but to be frank, it is beyond my capacity to learn and obsolete Sketchup is a near perfect match to the models I make (99% static). Others remain experts in TSM, etc. etc. and so unless it is the programs objective to drive most of the remaining content creators away new .s files will continue to be produced for a long time yet.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users