• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Volume control?? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

I'm looking through manual and other places... Is there a volume control on OR other than reducing the computer volume??? this is when I'm running an activity.

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Yes, in the Options menu, tab Audio, you can change the percentage in the box left of "% sound volume".

You cannot change it while in-game, though.

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

Right click on the volume icon in the tool bar. Choose "open volume mixer".
You can adjust it while the sim runs.

Steve

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 29 July 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yes, in the Options menu, tab Audio, you can change the percentage in the box left of "% sound volume".

You cannot change it while in-game, though.

Cheers, Markus

Thanks Markus...your statement "cannot change it while in-game" is what fixed it for me. I had opened OR and went to options changed the Audio to 50% hit "ok"...then started an Activity....there was no change. after stopping the activity then closing and reopening OR...launching the activity...I then noticed the change...thanks

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

View PostAmtrak115, on 30 July 2020 - 08:01 AM, said:

after stopping the activity then closing and reopening OR...launching the activity...I then noticed the change...thanks

This sound little odd. My statement actually was to say you cannot change the volume while actually running a train, but AFAIK it should work without having to relaunch the complete application... could you try again, please, by setting a very significant change (IE from 50% to 5 for example), so we can rule out the possibility of this being a bug?

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:42 PM

I think that having a keystroke combination to modify the sound volume level at runtime could be a nice-to-have addition.

#7 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 30 July 2020 - 11:39 AM, said:

This sound little odd. My statement actually was to say you cannot change the volume while actually running a train, but AFAIK it should work without having to relaunch the complete application... could you try again, please, by setting a very significant change (IE from 50% to 5 for example), so we can rule out the possibility of this being a bug?

Cheers, Markus

you are correct sir...you don't to relaunch the application to get the sound to change vol level...I apologize for the confusion....mostly on my part...Thanks Again...

Barry

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:52 AM

View PostAmtrak115, on 31 July 2020 - 08:09 PM, said:

you are correct sir...you don't to relaunch the application to get the sound to change vol level...I apologize for the confusion....mostly on my part...Thanks Again...

Barry

Thank you for re-checking, Barry! Plus, no need to apologize, it could still have been a bug :)

View PostCsantucci, on 30 July 2020 - 10:42 PM, said:

I think that having a keystroke combination to modify the sound volume level at runtime could be a nice-to-have addition.

Personally, I don't think it is really necessary. Most games these days allow the user to set the audio volume from the menu only and rely on the computer's (or eternal audio gear's) master volume to fine-tune the combined volume while in-game. More precisely, most games even have multiple volume settings for different groups controlling e.g. speech, music, background noise, etc., which would make it really difficult to allow for changing any of those with a defined key stroke - except if you limit key strokes to just the master volume, which - as mentioned - can be controlled on system and / or hardware level anyway.
Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:59 AM

Personally I'm glad it works the way it does.... I was testing an activity using "autopilot" and just occasional watching as the player train moved across the route....I was also working on my other hobby which is automated light and music show for Halloween/Christmas...was sequencing a song...while the train was running.....before the vol level was set to 100% and it sort of over road anything else I had playing...Now with it set to 20% I can still hear it but I can also do other things at the same time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users