• You cannot reply to this topic

Missing from the Manual Open Rails secrets revealed Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#71 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:39 AM

Here's another option that I can't pin down in the manual - "Speed control" which is a checkbox on the General tab of the Options window.

Attached Image: 2021-03-04 15_43_31-Open Rails build 0.0.7733.28154 (2021-03-04 15_38_28Z) (debug).jpg

I think it might be related to the Train Control System (TCS). Does anyone know?

In the same tab, we already have a checkbox for "Disable TCS". How are these two controls related?

#72 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

cjakeman, on 04 March 2021 - 10:39 AM, said:

I think it might be related to the Train Control System (TCS). Does anyone know?

I guess I could chase back through the commit history to see if I can find who added it to the Options form.

Or I should I be unprofessional and remove it to see who notices? (just kidding)

#73 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

Péter Zoltán Gulyás developed the MÁV EVM system years ago. Then it can't be used now?
We do not yet have TCS installed on all machines, because the track-side equipment is built on rails.

#74 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:13 PM

Hi Laci,

All I am trying to do here is fill in a missing piece of the Manual.

Laci1959, on 09 March 2021 - 12:32 PM, said:

Péter Zoltán Gulyás developed the MÁV EVM system years ago.

I'm really pleased you've taken the trouble to post as I think perhaps you understand what this Speed Control checkbox is for.

Would you, please, explain what it does and, if possible, how it fits with the Disable TCS checkbox?

#75 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:13 PM

cjakeman, on 09 March 2021 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hi Laci,

All I am trying to do here is fill in a missing piece of the Manual.

I'm really pleased you've taken the trouble to post as I think perhaps you understand what this Speed Control checkbox is for.

Would you, please, explain what it does and, if possible, how it fits with the Disable TCS checkbox?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.
The Hungarian translation was confusing. In addition to TCS, there are several national train control systems. The Hungarian EVM was written by Péter Zoltán Gulyás.
As far as I know, vehicles that use the TCS script do not need it, the speed is monitored by the train control system. That's why I turn it off. May be recommended for vehicles using the original MSTS system.

#76 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:36 PM

The "Speed control" option has a meaning even if there is no specific TCS file for the locomotive. In case there is the OverspeedMonitor block in the .eng file, that block is considered or not in dependance with that option. So, if that block foresees to start an emergency braking when there is an overspeed, this will start only if the option is checked.
The "Disable TCS" option disables the full management of a specific TCS file, if present.

#77 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

Csantucci, on 09 March 2021 - 11:36 PM, said:

The "Speed control" option has a meaning even if there is no specific TCS file for the locomotive. In case there is the OverspeedMonitor block in the .eng file, that block is considered or not in dependance with that option. So, if that block foresees to start an emergency braking when there is an overspeed, this will start only if the option is checked.
The "Disable TCS" option disables the full management of a specific TCS file, if present.

Thanks to Carlo and Laci for your help with this.
Does the following text cover all that is needed?

"If a Train Control Script (TCS) is specified for the loco and not disabled, then that takes priority.
Otherwise, if the ENG file of the loco has an Overspeed Monitor specified, then that monitor will detect excessive speed and engage emergency braking.
This monitor is enabled by checking the option."

Do you think "Overspeed Monitor" would be a better label than "Speed Control" for this checkbox?

#78 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:23 PM

Chris, like other three monitors, introduced by Kuju for MSTS (by the way, AWS one is not processed by ORTS), that Overspeed one can be configured to do different things in referred conditions: that may be: service/ emergency brakes apply, power shut-off, turning off traction motors, etc. together or in any combination.
This way, wether emergency braking will be applied, or no, depends on content of the overspeed monitor() block of the *.eng-file.
(each of monitor blocks contain the set of conditions, along with the way of processing of them (hysteresis for instance), and the list of actions, that will be performed in that conditions, including the time of penalty, before reset)
So, actually "checking the speed control option enables or disables processing of" said block, or "taking (it) in account", or something like that-"by ORTS".
Don't know anything about TCS and it's priority, as never encountered it anywhere.
Yes, the "speed control" statement is less self-explanatory.

#79 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:32 PM

Yes, what Weter says is correct. The Overspeed monitor might also foresee different interventions than emergency braking when overspeed occurs, although emergency braking is the most usual.
It is correct saying that if a TCS is specified for the loco, and not disabled, it overrides settings of the MSTS Monitor blocks.
I agree changing the wording "Speed control" to "Overspeed Monitor", it's more clear.

#80 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:56 AM

Thanks very much for your clarifications.

I will change the label from "Speed Control" to "Overspeed Monitor" and add this slightly revised help text:

"If a Train Control Script (TCS) is specified for the loco and not disabled, then that takes priority.
Otherwise, if the loco has an Overspeed Monitor specified in its ENG file, then that monitor will detect excessive speed and respond as it was specified, e.g. by applying emergency braking.
This monitor is enabled by checking the option."

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users