#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

Hi Guys,

Attached Image: 2020-07-05 09_31_29-Open Rails.jpg

A small thing that has long puzzled me is the Projected Speed in the Track Monitor window. The manual is silent on the topic (except renaming it as Predicted Speed). The code is calculating this value as the speed after 60 seconds of the current acceleration.

Am I right to assume that this indicator does not appear in any real-life cab? That it's there, a bit like the gradient indicator, to give the player a feel for what's happening that he would already have if he were in a real cab?

#2 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:41 AM

Hi Chris.
Since the days of MSTS I've always interpreted the projected (or predicted) speed has a substitute for not feeling the acceleration forces. As far as I know, you are correct to assume that that indicator is nowhere in any cab in the world, as far as I know. Modern traction units have dynamometer indicators that indicate acceleration wich is almost the same thing.

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:15 AM

I agree:
I don't know any cases of appearance of such indicators in any cabs.
Since real driver feels acceleration and, often(not always)-gradient(there's a risk of illusion), there's no need of these instruments in real life.
Without computer, prediction of speed is difficult to realise, and anything can change, during said 60 seconds, so why?
The gradient is drawn at "route charts", we call the "regime maps/режимные карты" so, to drive efficiently, Drivers must remember the track's profile at least in general, or refer with a copy of chart, that he carries within other work documentation pack at every ride.
This charts has to be analysed and explained, along with tachograph's records, during debriefnigs and trainings of locomotive crews at depots.
The measures to increase the efficency and energy-saving of train-hauling was developed this way.
Accelerometers and dynamometers are usual in modern American diesels and European electic haulers.

So, indicators, we discuss are useful in context of training the driving skills in condition of abcence of real feelings, since we are sitting beside our PC instead of driver-cab.
The other thing, what is absent-the feeling of slack, as bringing heavy freight train to move, notching-up controller must be carried out, lookin at feeling of start/end of train's slack, to avoid jerks and even breaking of couplers.
The same case-the driving of long train at differing profile of track, so You nened to feel, when comprression or strathing of train is needed to perform, for driving smoothly.

#4 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:20 AM

Yes, such indicators can be found in the cabs of some US engines. I have run engines with boxes displaying the projected speed along with footage counters and a speedometer. They were very helpful, especially the footage counter.

#5 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:36 AM

I just want to add, that prediction of speed by driver heself is eazier and more exciting, if we have analogue speed-meter with quite lomg needle, but in turn, this demands much more attention and spends psychic power of driver during long rides.

Coonskin said:

...footage counter.

What is it?
Does it indicate distanse, that loco travelled with resolution of 1 foot?

One of tram-drivers told me, she feels her tram's behavior also by her feet (vibrations, hits etc.)

#6 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

Hi,

For me, it replaces the driver's feeling. In a real train, I hear, see, feel the train, but with a simulator, it's impossible... This feeling is really intertesting and important, as it's possible to ride without looking speedometer, only feeling acceleration, but also hearing the wheel rotation changes; to detect a wheelslip before it occurs, feeling le train "dancing", ... All these parameters are impossible to simulate, and the projected speed is usefull to replace them!

Flo

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Anyhow the first reason why there is a projected speed in the OR Track Monitor (which I think is useful if and only if there is no acceleration indicator in the cab) is because the MSTS Track Monitor has it...

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

This is sort of on topic....Instead of using the predicted speed indication, I prefer an accelerometer in the cab. I find using the accelerometer -- when at correct speed -- making adjustments to the throttle to keep it a zero is an efficient way to control the locomotive speed...( of course knowledge of the route helps in this regard ). I've always wondered why OR did not have an accelerometer built in to the one of the indicator windows? Does anyone else think this may be a good idea?

#9 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Question asked:

What is it? Does it indicate distanse, that loco travelled with resolution of 1 foot?

Yes, it counts in feet traveled. Quite handy for speed restrictions/etc. I would press the button twice to start the counter at the desired point, and it would begin to count the distance traveled in feet. Came in handy when handling 8500' and longer trains.

FWIW: Accelarometer's were nice as a reference point, but you still have to have a feel for what the train is doing in order to competently control it.

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Coonskin, on 05 July 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

FWIW: Accelarometer's were nice as a reference point, but you still have to have a feel for what the train is doing in order to competently control it.

Better phrasing than I used, it's a reference point that appeals to me. However, in a sim the opportunity to develop "a feel for what the train is doing" is limited by the experience. The "physicality" is completely absent...as you know from your experiences. No hand on the throttle, no accurate vibrations or sounds from the machine that directly relate to how it is performing, no smells, no feeling of weight or mass, nothing like the real thing...no dire consequences from lack of attention or experience -- so in the sim reference points become lightweight substitutes for real physicality. Perhaps if virtual reality progress far enough and OR adapts to use it, there may be a worthy substitute for the physicality ( but it is still a remove - a step away - from the real thing ).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users