• You cannot reply to this topic

Heat problems? Possible ORTS summer issues Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

Running out of memory is not a heat problem.

#12 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:43 PM

View Postengmod, on 29 June 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

Running out of memory is not a heat problem.

ORTS telling it´s running out of memory must not be the truth since it was only one example for those crashes. ORTS itself disagreeing on what to put out as error message sounds like some kind of excuse I think but I need more evidence for this... Also what kind of update software/hardware is meant with the graphic drive? Everything of both is still the same as it was a year ago, back then it still worked though I can´t remember the temperatures back then.

#13 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

[attachment=105150:log1.txt]
[attachment=105151:log2.txt]

The first log should be similar to the one already published but the second one came about when ORTS crashed showing a Windows error tab. Something is missing there but sometimes any kind of error tab is missing as well. I´ll compare Carlo Santucci´s new version to this...

#14 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:09 AM

Hi,

I notice your PrecipitationBox settings are very much higher than the defaults. This may be overloading your GPU.

Dennis

#15 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:13 AM

Precipitation settings have caused memory errors in the past, please put these back to default. good pickup Dennis.

Yes, the first one shows an out of memory on the GPU as well.

I don't see any reason or evidence that it is not true?

There is no evidence at all of a heat problem?

How long did you run for these log files?

Have you done any temperature checks?

#16 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:48 AM

You are seemingly right, no heat problem but CPU issues courtesy of 4GB 32-bit running. Maybe the precipitation box is quite large but when driving 70mph there is still little to no snow at the front. I also just ran NewYear MG Rev 66 and got a lot further before this occured.
[attachment=105152:OpenRailsLog.txt]

GPU usage must be around 3700 MB at this point so the real question is why does ORTS crash when reaching the limit (or even earlier) as MSTS just got to really low frame rates but seldom crashed in similar situations. What do you suggest for a reasonable precipitation box size? Long but narrow?

But since most crashes occured without any rain or snow this is unlikely to be a solution. Maybe distant mountains and viewing distance are to blame but for realistic graphics 4GB are´nt enough sometimes.

#17 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:42 AM

I have a reasonably high end PC . I have noticed that even on this machine that FPS have dropped slightly in some heavy graphic scenarios recently . Have you tried running the same scenario that crashes with bare bones graphic options ? Then add your favourite options - one at a time - until the problem arises again .

#18 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

FPS are not really the problem but memory space. It keeps adding up, seldom draining, until ORTS inevitably crashes I keep observing. The graphic settings possible with ORTS are contradictory to the performance of the 4GB 32-bit system anyway. This problem sounds like the 2GB downloadable code but worse; and I cannot quite believe I´m the only one who observed this behavior, not just in the last builds but in general. Now I´ve lowered the values for precipitation box and viewing distance on NewYear MG Rev 66 and got good results (at least without snow or rain) but said observations worry me.

#19 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:21 PM

I am not sure why you talk about the 4gb 32 bit system, when you have 64 bit and run the LAA version.

You need to start testing with the OR default settings and then start changing ONE setting at a time and test.

I have asked 3 questions that you have not answered? any reason?

You are also saying that the 2gb code is faulty when you are not running it, any reason?

#20 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:57 PM

Sorry for that...

I tried some different performance settings and found out the memory space got continouosly filled during running but is not much decrasing when objects leave the visual range. You can start an activity with 500MB used space and could end up with 2100MB like I just did. And ORTS crashes when reaching a certain amount which is different in the official version than in 4GB NewYear MG but the principal problem is there no matter whether you have 2/4/8 or more GB of memory. It keeps adding up at most until crashing. Adjustable performance characteristics are only contributing factors and there might be no heat problem at all, at least in regards to ORTS.

I now changed to 8GB NewYear MG after I figured out how it´s possible, at least 8GB is better than 4.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users