• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heat problems? Possible ORTS summer issues Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:40 AM

Does anyone in regions of hot summer climate experienced ORTS crashing when possibly the CPU gets too hot for the cooling systems. I was just trying routes/activities which mostly worked back in colder room temperatures but ORTS seemingly always crashes after some time or at some point when the strain on the computer´s components (due to many large textures, full HUD with all its numbers and the like) got to a certain level where the program just exits, featuring either an interesting array of ORTS error tabs, sometimes Windows error tabs or even nothing at all. My latest observations where partially missing textures.

I just hope it was not the fault of recent code changes, part of which was published by myself.

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

I live in Southern Cal and 100+ degree summers are not uncommon. However the good ol' AC makes live comfortable.

What kind of internal (computer case, cpu, dimm's etc) heat are you talking about?

It's simple enough to swap out fans, even upgrading the CPU cooling unit often requires nothing more than a screwdriver and some thermal compound.

Your fans are running, aren't they?

I am running i9's and the temp of the air immediate to the cpu heat exchanger rarely hits the mid 90's in a room that has low 80 temps.

Sounds as if you relocated you computer? Yo didn't put in a location that has no air flow did you, like under a enclosed desk or such?

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:20 PM

I use a program called "core temp" from https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ to measure CPU temperature.

I also use a program called "TechPowerUp GPU-Z" to measure the temps of my GPU https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Have both of these programs running when running OR, and see what the temps are when it crashes.

#4 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:04 PM

Other thoughts:

No error messages?
Does the computer crash or just your app?
Check you hard drives for integrity? Also your dimm's?
Is the failure repeatable?

If it is temperature related as you suspect, open the case, point any available fan into the case, and repeat the failed app.

You did not specify what mobo, etc you have and whether your system is capable of monitoring its components. The above experiment should give you a clue at best. Move your computer back to cooler environs?

#5 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:32 PM

I suggest that you install a free program "HWinfo " and this way you can check cpu , socket , vrm , memory , and gpu temps . Also install CPU-Z , which is also free and you can do a quick bench test and stress test . I keep HWinfo on the desktop at same time when I run CPU-Z . This way you can compare all voltages and temps at he same time . I overclock everything on my PC's and I find these programs a big help in diagnosing problems .

BTW - What does the OR log say ?

Just a suggestion !
Rod

#6 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:02 PM

Hard drives etc. work as before, even removed the dust and sped up the fans but achieved basicly nothing. Under these circumstances current ORTS versions crash even earlier (for a given route, train etc.) than the 2 GB self-compilable version. I might have to check out GPU performance by running Trainz, maybe get howling GPU fans but I don´t know whether this has something to do with ORTS. The crashes are repeatable but with multiple outcomes so I´ll look out for some of them.

#7 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:29 PM

[attachment=105133:OpenRailsLog.txt]

Other times the log tells there is not enough RAM to further execute the program, even though everything worked some months before.

#8 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:54 PM

That log has a real crash, gpu out of memory.

Not what you are talking about?

#9 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

View Postengmod, on 28 June 2020 - 11:54 PM, said:

That log has a real crash, gpu out of memory.

Not what you are talking about?

Yes, but the settings are the same as before. Some months ago this activity and ORTS in general worked well, but now the program runs out of memory quite quickly. Whether it´s a faulty code or really heat problems I can only guess, but the point is ORTS is seemingly not working on certain computers under those circumstances. Also this log file was just one example; I can show you a new one everyytime I run ORTS...

#10 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

Nick,

Your video drivers appear to be five years old.
Have you tried updating them?

Steve

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users