• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A plug for OpenRails and TS's Mullan Pass Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

I have been using OpenRails exclusively for running activities since 2013. For well over a year, I've been using the Monogame versions. Every so often I get a reminder of why I like OpenRails so much and why I left MSTS behind. This is one of those:

A few weeks ago, I purchased the long-awaited Mullan Pass Route from TrainSimulations. Overall, this is one GREAT route--and, unlike many, it is pretty faithful to the prototype route. If anyone wants to know why I ditched MSTS for OR--this route and this activity is a great reason. Yesterday, I finally had some spare time to run the Empty Grain activity on Mullan. This is a 230-car empty grain train running the length of the route with lots of AI trains. I ran the activity with Reshade. The activity ran with no hiccups. Not surprisingly, my frame rates dropped below 20 fps in a few places (lots of scenery objects, AI traffic, and a 230 car player train all at once), but that was the extent of any issues. On the horseshoe curves above Austin on the route, it was amazing to see the 2 1/2 mile long player train meeting an over mile long train. Add in OR physics and you've got one fun activity.

So, a big thank you to the OR Team and to TS for making routes and activities like this possible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users