• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reducing volume of environmental sounds. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:20 AM

How do you reduce the volume of environmental sounds of a route without directly editing the WAV files?
I've been playing with the NAVS 567 engine sounds, and on some routes, they're badly drowned out by the enviromental sounds. (The NAVS environmental sounds fixes this for routes that use the default sounds, but some routes use custom sounds.)

As Erick Cantu mentioned in his NAVS sound update, and I've heard over the years, this is very, very wrong, as the noise of a train is the loudest thing in a scene.

I don't really fancy reducing the volume of the WAV sounds, because there's quite a few files to edit.

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 12 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

Edit the SMS files.

regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:56 AM

Overwrite the route's SMS files with mine. There's no need to copy any audio clips because the SMS will look for any files missing from the route's sound folder in the main sound folder.

OR and MSTS do this with textures as well.

#4 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

Like Vince said, I decrease the volume value found in the appropriate SMS file.--- in the route's sound folder. I can appreciate what you're saying... for instance in the Rollins Pass route the howling wolves sound like you've got a ravenous pack in the cab with you...very unrealistic.

How did these sound in MSTS??? I have no experience with that. In OR the environmental sounds created specifically for the route can sometimes be too loud.

#5 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:57 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 22 June 2021 - 10:14 AM, said:

Like Vince said, I decrease the volume value found in the appropriate SMS file.--- in the route's sound folder. I can appreciate what you're saying... for instance in the Rollins Pass route the howling wolves sound like you've got a ravenous pack in the cab with you...very unrealistic.

How did these sound in MSTS??? I have no experience with that. In OR the environmental sounds created specifically for the route can sometimes be too loud.

In MSTS we had a separate slider for environmental sounds, I usually turned it down to something like 25%.

#6 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

View PostErickC, on 22 June 2021 - 01:57 PM, said:

In MSTS we had a separate slider for environmental sounds, I usually turned it down to something like 25%.

Ahhh, thanks Erick. Any reason why OR couldn't have some sound adjustment sliders for specific types of sound. Currently we have only three adjustments on the Options\Audio tab. I have "external sound heard internally" set to 40% which is still too loud in some cases.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users