Elvas Tower: Idle RPM-Notch1 Identical = Zero Power/Force - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Idle RPM-Notch1 Identical = Zero Power/Force Locomotives with 2 ORTS Engine Definitions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:35 AM

I was reworking some of the Std_Eng files and I found this problem. This used to work ( and still does in the last stable version 1.3 ) --- any locomotive using two ORTS Diesel engine definitions and having identical RPM's for both idle and notch 1 will not move...in the Locomotive HUD, both the Power and Force values stayed pegged at zero.

To correct the problem the RPMs must increase from Idle to Notch1. I found this because the DDA40X std engine files were not working ( according to manual specs. idle and notch 1 are the same RPM -- 320 ).
Screenshot shows an E7 ( also identical idle and notch1 RPMs ) displaying same problem. ( unstable version )
Second screenshot shows E7 running correctly in last Stable Version1.3 ---- both examples used same engine configurations.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2020-06-05 09-23-50-290.jpg
  • Attached Image: bandicam 2020-06-05 09-28-09-439.jpg

#2 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:27 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 05 June 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

To correct the problem the RPMs must increase from Idle to Notch1.

Sadly this is correct, usually a few rpm difference will solve the issue. It also doesn't handle dips in rpm.

I will think about whether there is a way to overcome this issue.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 05 June 2020 - 06:27 PM, said:

Sadly this is correct, usually a few rpm difference will solve the issue. It also doesn't handle dips in rpm.

I will think about whether there is a way to overcome this issue.

At one time, identical RPMs in idle and notch1 worked, regardless of number of ORTS engine definitions --- certainly up to April, 2019 ( release date of version1 Std_Eng files) and probably up to Jan 2020. ( insert grumbling here )

Granted the workaround is easy enough. ( insert more grumbling here ) Here's hoping you can see a way to reverse whatever code changes were made ( probably to improve or expand capabilities ) without losing ground. Thanks for your attention. I've had a couple of inquiries about this, now I know how to help.
Cordial Regards, Gerry

Edit: Question: did the patch to introduce better non-linear operation of throttle vs rpm introduce this unintended consequence ?www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33970-diesel-electric-engine-rpm-and-power-output/

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 05 June 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

Edit: Question: did the patch to introduce better non-linear operation of throttle vs rpm introduce this unintended consequence ?www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33970-diesel-electric-engine-rpm-and-power-output/

Yes

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:28 AM

I suggest this patch, that solves also the problem of the PKP locomotive
Attached File  ThrottleRPM.diff.txt (2.56K)
Number of downloads: 299

#6 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:54 PM

@Csantucci - Thanks for the patch suggestion - added to latest unstable version as a work around

@R H Steele - I have added Carlo's suggested patch wiich increases the rpm by a value of 1, so that the "same" value is never seen. I still want to give an alternative solution more thought, but this should correct your problem in the short term. Let me know if there are any issues.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:38 PM

OR NewYear MG rev. 65 now accepts also rpms with same value.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 07 June 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

@Csantucci - Thanks for the patch suggestion - added to latest unstable version as a work around

@R H Steele - I have added Carlo's suggested patch wiich increases the rpm by a value of 1, so that the "same" value is never seen. I still want to give an alternative solution more thought, but this should correct your problem in the short term. Let me know if there are any issues.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif Thanks, to both Carlo and Peter....I completely understand the need to revise the Throttle-vs-Rpm relationship, eventually it will enable OR to accurately model the (almost endless, it seems ) variations in RPMs found in diesel engines. This patch helps in that it obviates changes in the working files that many are currently using.
Thanks to both of you for your time and efforts!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users