• You cannot reply to this topic

MU, DPU & AESS Diesel Engine management Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:21 AM

Hi all,

Following differents threads and discussions about diesel engines management, here are solutions to improve the diesel management, which could be separated in 3 parts :MU, DPU, and AESS.

-MU: actually, OR handle a single player diesel engine, and several helpers, which could be in the leading unit or not (multiengine diesels, or single engines in MU). This way of doing is not accurate, and could be improved, keeping in mind that two solutions exists in real life: hard wire setting or software setting. Actually, in OR, a MU of multiple Diesel Engines is impossible to handle correctly.
-DPU: used for multiple "group" of MU'ed locomotives. As far as I've understood, each leading unit of a group should be defined as a Player unit, MU'ed locomotives as helpers.
-AESS: actual locomotives are able to automatically shutdown to save fuel. Two possibilities seems to exist: single engine, and multi engines management, all relying on some criterias (time, power, ...) the goal of my mod is to comply with manufacturer criterias.

Here are my proposals:
-MU: if player or helper setting is hard wire set, it's interresting to define it in eng file. The driver have nothing to set, he starts players or helpers diesels, as defined by the creator (for instance, a single button launches all diesel on a DMU). The use of a ranking allows to define players (1), helpers (2), but also not startable or stoppable diesels like APU (3, ...). They can be accessed, monitored and managed by a GUI.
-DPU: A GUI allows the driver to access all locomotives, and define automatically the rank of locomotive in it's group (leading-player, or MU'ed-helpers), if nothing is defined in .eng. In this way, stopping Helpers will stop all non leading units.
-AESS: 2 ways of functionning are possible: each locomotive scan its own parameters, and if criterias are fullfiled, stop useless diesels. Two modes (transparents for player) exists: one linked to DPU (locomotive as MU) and one linked to diesels engines criterias (multiengines locomotives). Creator defined criterias used are coolant temperature, main res pressure, time elapsed, Internal criterais are reverser position, compressor off and cylinder pressure (for MU); force or throttle asked for multiengines locomotive. AESS could be disabled by GUI. Criterias are not shown at the moment on GUI.

The GUI is an extension of train operation window (hitting F9 a second time), focused on locomotives: it gives informations on the state of all locomotives on a first menu, and details fore each loco, on a second one. It allows some operations, like starting or stopping diesels, but also, uping pantographs and closing circuit breakers.

http://florian.asso-arcet.com/OR/engine_2.jpg

This screen shows the GUI for a dual mode railcar, with both diesels and electric operations. Both diesels are "hard wired" and set as player, as the start of all diesels are done by a single button in real life. A .eng definition is used.

http://florian.asso-arcet.com/OR/ops_window1.jpg

On this screen, it can be seen 6 locomotives, in 2 groups, each leading defined as a player one, others as helpers. It has been set by the DPU automatic Setup option. For each locomotive appears the number of Diesels, and the ranking. Clicking on a locomotive displays the right window, showing details on the differents engines of a locomotive. Clicking on a diesel will start or stop it. If AESS parameters are set, AESS Enable/Disable option appears. Some options displayed in car operation window are also presents. As criterias are respected, 3 engines has stopped (time since throttle returned to 0, force asked < defined force, throttle asked < throttle defined, coolant temp>defined) One is still running, as its defined to run, even if asked force is equal to 0.

Hope this modification could interest someone. It's fully operational at the moment, but would modified easily if needed, very few parts of code being impacted!

As a conclusion, some new parameters are created, all in Diesel section
-DieselSerie allowing ranking of diesels, automaticaly (creator for hard wired engines), or manually (Dpu Set). If not defined, is set to 0, and OR behaves as today.
-AESSCoolingLowTemp: if coolant temperature falls below this value, the engine automatically start.
-AESSMainResLowPressure: if pressure is lesser than defined, the diesel start to allow compressor to do its job.
-AESSDelayBeforeShutdown: delay since train stop (AESS+DPU, for helpers), or since last diesel use (if a force or a throttle is defined, see below)
-AESSThrottleForStartup:asked Throttle percent causing diesel to restart.
-AESSForceForStartup: asked Force causing diesel to restart.

Flo

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:41 AM

Interesting.

What about steam locomotives?

#3 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

Haven’t done anything for steam engines, as I don’t know anything about it! Say me what seems interresting to add, and I’ll look what can be done.

Flo

#4 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:51 PM

This would be a welcome addition to OR. The AESS component is going to be pretty complicated, though. AESS requires the locomotive computer to monitor a number of parameters, some of which are not yet available or properly functioning in OR. One such example is outside ambient temperature. The parameter exists in OR, but only functions marginally. Until the weather "module" is expanded and refined, ambient temperature is unlikely to usable in a meaningful way. In most AESS systems, ambient temperature is critical because most AESS will NOT let the loco prime mover shut down or stay shut down if the ambient temperature is below freezing. Coolant temperature is another AESS monitored parameter that OR does not emulate especially well. Coolant temperature affects more than if the AESS allows the prime mover to shut down or start. It also affects idle RPM. EMD 710 prime movers, for example, have AESS systems that will increase the engine idle RPM automatically to about a Run2 equivalent if the coolant temperature goes out of acceptable range at either end of its range. I've been in a position over the years to watch locos for hours go through their AESS regimens. I believe that reverser lever position is another required parameter. For AESS to initiate, the reverser must be centered. Conversely, if the reverse is placed into forward or reverse, that cancels AESS.

#5 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:28 AM

Very interresting! My version of AESS is a simplfied version. Ambient Temp could be added, but as said, OR as a limited handle of it. The coolant temp management is limited in my code, only verifying temperature doesn't fall below a definite value. Reverser is a parameter watched. In fact, the AESS I coded is a synthesis of 3 manufacturers AESS, so, it's diffcult to have an exact one, but it would be better than nothing for a time!

This document was used as a support:
http://www.multimoda...203-23-2006.pdf

Flo

#6 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

I agree with this topic. I am sure like the other competitor sims out there ORTS needs a advanced engine setup code in game. 3 important ones when it comes to hose connections as well as some cutin/cutout features to disable/activate features are needed instead of exiting changing eng settings an loading back at certain times. We need to consists check power instead of just coupling an easy going after brakes release as if its simple as toggle hose connections but more. Since no limits have been implemented for buff loading or curve forces for stock or track has been coded there is probably no need to limit or cutout the number of dynos or pushing forces yet but can probably wait but its better to prepare.

But I have a few other suggestions to add in relation to toggling additional hoses an options. Current Toggle MU connection works good to isolate engines/traction but it also should mess with headlight controls to the end of the consists that has a MU connection leading to the controlling unit. DPU will always be different whether you setup as controlling unit for the engines its MU with but there are two options for the brake valve control to perform which are Normalize/Cutout (Train Brake Air system is treated like regular boxcar trainline air like now in ORTS) vs Synchronize/Cutin (Controlling DPU unit helps with lead unit apply an release air with its main res pressures that during applications you can see the rear an front air do its jobs to equalize an meet in middle of train).

https://www.epowerrail.com/Portals/0/Products/Hoses/1%20-%20Main/1.jpg?ver=2017-01-09-095615-990

BTW has ORTS ever thought for us looking for EOT/FOT Device features/triggers to make a simple key to open front or rear Angle Cocks for toggle switches? I got "Ctrl + Backspace" for front an "Ctrl + Shift + Backspace" for rear linked last car. Importance for ends are grade important where you want air to escape from to apply an end first.

#7 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

Hi everybody,

Here is a test version including my "solution". It's not as realistic as you may want, but... better than nothing! The DPU was not initialy included, as my first project was more european style oriented.

openrail_AESS_MU_DPU.rar

For test of AESS and Multi Engine, you can use the following eng and consists:
AESS-DPU-MU-patches.rar

using
au_ctn_test_model_norfolk_southern_v1a.exe

The GUI is accessed hitting F9 two times.

Parameters are defined as below, for each diesel engine of the locomotive:
-AESSCoolingLowTemp(40): if coolant temperature falls below this value, the engine automatically start, in degres.
-AESSMainResLowPressure(100): if pressure is lesser than defined, the diesel start to allow compressor to do its job.
-AESSDelayBeforeShutdown(90): delay in seconds since train stop (AESS+DPU, for helpers), or since last diesel use (if a force or a throttle is defined, see below)
-AESSThrottleForStartup(50) :asked Throttle percent causing diesel to restart.
-AESSForceForStartup(20000): effective actual Force causing diesel to restart.

For a more "classical" DMU set, where all engines must be started or stopped at the same time (using player control), the following parameter mus be used in diesel engine description:
DieselSerie(1)
If set to 0, OR acts as today, if set to 2, the DE is a Helper. If set to 3 or more, the diesels run, but can only be started or stopped from the GUI (APU for instance).

Flo

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:17 AM

Hi Flo,
if you are interested that your feature enters into the official OR code and/or into OR NewYear MG, you could open a Trello card as explained here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__201634 and, being this a not small addition, you could also create a blueprint here https://blueprints.launchpad.net/or . Moreover you could start attaching here the patch to be applied to the master OR branch or to the OR NewYear MG branch, so that it can be easily introduced in suh OR versions.

#9 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:00 AM

Hi Carlos,

Have procced as this after a discussion with CTN_Steamer. The aim is to have returns, things that need to evolve, and then, made the Trello card ans blueprint. If it's a problem, I will correct!

For the patch, It seems I have let it in the rar file, with the eng and con.

Flo

#10 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

I haven't looked at these actual files as of yet, but I thought that I would add a couple of comments about AESS. First, as you probably know, AESS (at least on North American GE and EMD locomotives) is not instantaneous. There is a whole routine. Here are a couple example videos (not mine): https://www.youtube....h?v=P8tQpk6F310 , https://www.youtube....h?v=PoQso-zjZsE . What is sadly lacking in OR currently is any .sms files and sounds that correctly emulate the startup/shutdown sequence. I doubt the correct triggers even exist in the programming.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users