Elvas Tower: CLW RF16 "Sharks" - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CLW RF16 "Sharks" Baldwin RF16's on the Upgraded MLT Bridge Line Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

Cameron's RF16's were produced when Machine's and the Sim's we ran on them could not handle the level of detail possible today. The Same can be said of MLT's Bridge Line. It would be great to see an upgrade or new version of both Loco and Route but IMO the existing models are pretty good. I've "aged" them and the MLT route has Michael Sinclair's Tree upgrades. A quick search of the ts.com file library is testament to the popularity of the Bridge Line as there are nearly a hundred downloads including stock modifications and a lot of activities.

Attached Image: D&H6.jpg

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: D&H1.jpg
  • Attached Image: D&H3.jpg
  • Attached Image: D&H4.jpg
  • Attached Image: D&H5.jpg

#2 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:20 AM

If those skins could be released that would be great!

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

Those are wonderful, wow, http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif

#4 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

lineman, on 29 May 2020 - 09:20 AM, said:

If those skins could be released that would be great!
Well I'm trying to reach Cameron to request permission but until I get that the EULA is clear that I can't. However a few years back Cameron mentioned, in a thread about Read Me's and Copyright, that he'd given some permissions for redistribution of his work so hopefully he'll get my message (PM on ts.com) as I'm not sure the mail in the Read Me is still valid?

#5 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

R H Steele, on 29 May 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

Those are wonderful, wow, http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif
Gerry I have to say that 99% applause goes to Cameron's original skins. Apart from some minor weathering on the trucks all I've done is remove the "h-shine" from all the textures (absolutely HATE that) and put the ace's in Photoshop. I've darkened the whole ace so that the silver parts become grey, like the reference pictures I worked from, and then played around with Saturation until I got that "beginning to dull and fade look" that bright colours age to in the UV and weather. In doing this it's enhanced some nice panel shading that Cameron must have done originally. So 99% his skill and an hour or so of tweaking and trying out in the Sim. IMO there are a lot of models in the various libraries that would look 100% more convincing if they had an overall 20%ish reduction in "saturation". It's not that the original work is WRONG, but rather how they look in the Sim itself?

The trouble with hi-shine textures is that apart from the hour or so outside the paint shop whilst pictures are taken the majority of Railway stock has to work hard for it's keep and soon becomes weathered and grimed by track dirt and dust. That looks rather silly in high gloss? The effect also kills stone dead any Trompe l'oeil effect that the modeller had used to reduce the file size.

Some folk hate that and want everything 3D without exception but just like the "Flinstone" wheels debate I always question if that's really noticeable on a fast moving train? .....and as some folk drive from the cab all the time it seems like an unnecessary hit on overall performance for little actual reward? Still "Each to their own?"

BTW mentioned your work on OR .eng files in my PM to Cameron so hope he sees it. :good2:

#6 User is offline   j3ahudson 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:29 AM

Hello Geoff

I like your repaint of Cameron's Delaware and Hudson RF16s as your weathering does look effective. I also noted you had repainted 1216 to create 1205, the other part of the D&H pair.

Coincidentally a week or so ago I minor repainted 1216 to make 1205 too, and was thinking of changing the textures for 1205 so it was not such an obvious clone of 1216.
I did also correct the eng file throttle issue with a bit of cut and paste from another model RF16 that I had corrected previously.

Anyway, I am a bit of a butterfly train-wise and have a large collection of stuff from all over the world (locomotives, rolling stock, routes) and tend to flit from one model to another as my attention is grabbed and am fixing them to run in Open Rails as and when. Just as an example once I had done 1205 and made/editted a few consists with 1205 and 1216 (using TSRE, a really fab application) I moved on to edit/create an Open Rails eng files for my Train Artisan Hudsons as they do not run so well with their original MSTS files.

Being conscious that all I am doing is manipulation other peoples's work I have never released my dabblings as getting permissions is time consuming, but I realise that some of what I have done is useful for others.

Warm regards
Alan

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

I've never understood how some developers think that it's somehow a bad idea to allow repainters to add value to your base product. At some point you've got to let go of the illusion of control. Anyway, I had a BP20 in the works at one point, but if I ever got back to it, I'd want to start from scratch, because my construction methods have completely changed since then. I would also need measurements of the cab and all of the control consoles because guesstimating from photos is a royal pain. And I don't know where I'd get field recordings. Maybe someday.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users