Elvas Tower: Adjusting Steam Loco Sounds - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjusting Steam Loco Sounds how to adjust certain loco sounds for better (IMO) gameplay Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TrainChris4460 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am running into an 'issue' with one of my favorite steam locomotive models. I absolutely adore this locomotive in real life and the creator for this model has done an amazing job on the digital version, but I find that the main water injector sound is overbearing during operation. When the boiler water level deceases below 81%, the water injector sound kicks in and refills the boiler. This sound is very overpowering; I can be track side blowing the whistle and the injector sound covers the sound of the whistle. Similarly, I can move to the back of a 20-ish car train, zoom as far back from the train as possible, and the injector sound is still clearly heard over pretty much everything. I love this locomotive model and I want to keep using it as much as possible, but I have had to stop using it during several sessions because this water injector sound is so overbearing it gives me a severe headache.

I do not wish to take away the original creator's content - they did an amazing job on it and I love the model. But, how I can reduce the volume of this sound for my own use?

Thank you all in advance,
-TrainChris4460

#2 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:42 PM

The easiest way to do it is in an audio editor like Audacity or Goldwave. Lowering the volume in one of those programs is not hard. You know, that might be a good idea for a release...

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:21 AM

Another possibility is to have a look to the .sms file with a text editor, to identify the SoundStream where that sound is played, and to insert a Volume ( x.y ) line, where Volume may vary from 0.0 to 1.0.

#4 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

I usually change the volume the way that Carlo suggests because it's very easy to readjust if your first try is too loud or too quiet . That way the original .wav file is still intact for use elsewhere .
Works for me !

#5 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

I have this issue on quite a few models and I usually just end up taking out the sound file of the injector all together. Let me know if I can help in any way. I do quite a bit of sound work for steam locomotives.

Brandon

#6 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:37 PM

I often use this Stream in the .SMS file for steam locomotives for the injector_1

You can lower the volume via the volume setting (1.0 = 100% to 0.0 = 0%)

With AI firing (default), the injector is always on for "long time" because the water level is replenished evenly.
With this Stream you can use the "CAB-Radio keys" (usually not used anyway) to temporarily switch the sound off and on.
(some more variation and less headache ..... :D )

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   TrainChris4460 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:01 PM

QJ-6811, on 04 June 2020 - 11:37 PM, said:

I often use this Stream in the .SMS file for steam locomotives for the injector_1

You can lower the volume via the volume setting (1.0 = 100% to 0.0 = 0%)

With AI firing (default), the injector is always on for "long time" because the water level is replenished evenly.
With this Stream you can use the "CAB-Radio keys" (usually not used anyway) to temporarily switch the sound off and on.
(some more variation and less headache ..... :D )

Thank you! I'll try both of these. I was hoping for a fix like this, as I don't have an easily accessible audio editor. Thank you ll for your help on this and I'll let you know how it goes!

#8 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

TrainChris4460, on 24 June 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

Thank you! I'll try both of these. I was hoping for a fix like this, as I don't have an easily accessible audio editor. Thank you ll for your help on this and I'll let you know how it goes!

Yet another possibility.

Meanwhile made a "sound example", you can download the "H6a" and take it as an example.
(https://www.coalston.../physics/stock/)
Here you can also see an example in the .SMS file for injector and shoveling in AI firing. (regarding sound it is on and off at regular times)
Maybe this will help too?

#9 User is offline   TrainChris4460 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thank you for the help! I've been able to adjust the Injector sound a great deal and now I use the locomotive a lot more when I play. It's so much nicer to be able to hear everything again!

New question: Is there a way to add a second whistle to a locomotive? I know that some American steam locomotives have driver's and fireman's whistle. In that same vain, I imagine having a second whistle on the locomotive I plan to buy one day (when I win the lottery - HAHAHA!). Since I have a digital copy of it, I'd like to try and add the 2nd whistle to it to bring my 'wildest dreams' to life at least virtually.

I figure there's a way to set up a whistle/any action that responds to a Shift+Space command. How would I go about setting that up? Any tips on creating the loop for the whistle? I follow a company in Nevada who builds custom/replica whistles so I have a great recording of the whistle I want as the 2nd-ary whistle.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:11 AM

Posted Today, 10:42 AM
I have a number of issues with some sounds in ORTS:
Some of them suddenly start play pitched twice or two times loudly, some are continuously wrong-looped, some completely failed to play.
I tryed to wipe the *sms-file's code but didn't observe results yet.
Add:
I hope, the *.log-file could clear something, so try to read it carefully, or send it here for experienced persons to see.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users