• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coal train loading / unloading problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

For a few years now, my coal trains have loaded and unloading coal correctly. Now all of a sudden, it seems to only work 50%.
I post my Wag files below, but I don't believe I have changed anything untowards. The OR log reports no errors. It happens on all routes with coal pickups, including my test route.

Activity Example one

Unload coal = Yes
load coal = Yes
Unload coal = No

Activity Example Two

Load coal = Yes
Unload coal = No

Example two is the serious one as I have a quite a few activities that depend on the coal unloading. Also, once the coal is loaded, and out of fuel_coal pickup range, the coal_freight pickups do not activate when the T key is pressed.

I went back to very older OR versions and the same thing occurs. Because of this, it has to be my OR wag files, but I failed to see anything amiss. Here are the two for loading and unloading coal:

Empty wagon for loading and unloading:-
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

include ( ../MEP-HAA.wag ) 

Wagon (
         ORTSDavis_A ( 253.19 )
         ORTSDavis_B ( 2.0566 )	
         ORTSDavis_C ( 0.886999 )
         ORTSBearingType ( Low )

ORTSBrakeShoeFriction ( 0.0 0.490 25 0.450 125 0.440 ) Comment ( Disc brake )

ORTSFreightAnims 
( 
    MSTSFreightAnimEnabled (0) 
    WagonEmptyWeight(13t-uk)
    EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( 9.947kN ) 
    EmptyMaxHandbrakeForce ( 4.65kN ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_A ( 253.19 ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_B ( 2.0566 ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_C ( 0.886999 ) 
    EmptyCentreOfGravity_Y ( 1.41 ) 
    IsGondola(0) 
    UnloadingStartDelay (3) 
    FreightAnimContinuous 
    ( 
    IntakePoint ( 0.0 3.0 FreightCoal ) 
    Shape( MCLW_HAA_Load2.S ) 
    MaxHeight(0.0) 
    MinHeight(-3.70) 
    FreightWeightWhenFull(32.00t-uk) 
    FullAtStart(0)
        FullMaxBrakeForce ( 16.069kN )
        FullMaxHandbrakeForce ( 8.00kN ) 
        FullORTSDavis_A ( 492.23 ) 
        FullORTSDavis_B ( 7.4039 ) 
        FullORTSDavis_C ( 1.186999 ) 
        FullCentreOfGravity_Y ( 1.8 )  
    )
    FreightAnimContinuous
    (
    IntakePoint ( 0.0 4.0 FuelCoal )
    MaxHeight(0.0)
    MinHeight(-2.35)
    FreightWeightWhenFull(32t-uk)
    FullAtStart(0)
        FullMaxBrakeForce ( 16.069kN )
    )
  ) 
)

Loaded wagon for unloading then loading:-

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

include ( ../MEP-HAA-Loaded.wag )

Wagon (
         ORTSDavis_A ( 492.23 )
         ORTSDavis_B ( 7.4039 )	
         ORTSDavis_C ( 1.186999 )
         ORTSBearingType ( Low )

ORTSBrakeShoeFriction ( 0.0 0.490 25 0.450 125 0.440 ) 

ORTSFreightAnims 
( 
    MSTSFreightAnimEnabled (0) 
    WagonEmptyWeight(13t-uk)
    EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( 9.947kN )  Comment ( 60% weight )
    EmptyMaxHandbrakeForce ( 5.154kN ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_A ( 253.19 ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_B ( 2.0566 ) 
    EmptyORTSDavis_C ( 0.886999 ) 
    EmptyCentreOfGravity_Y ( 1.41 ) 
    IsGondola(0) 
    UnloadingStartDelay (7) 
    FreightAnimContinuous 
    ( 
    IntakePoint ( 0.0 3.0 FreightCoal ) 
    MaxHeight(0.0) 
    MinHeight(-3.70) 
    FreightWeightWhenFull(32.00t-uk) 
    FullAtStart(1)
        FullMaxBrakeForce ( 19.894kN )  Comment ( Load adjuster )
    )
    FreightAnimContinuous
    (
    IntakePoint ( 0.0 3.0 FuelCoal )
    MaxHeight(0.0)
    MinHeight(-1.25)
    FreightWeightWhenFull(32t-uk)
    FullAtStart(0)
        FullMaxBrakeForce ( 19.894kN ) Comment ( Load adjuster )
    )
  ) 
)

Can anyone see anything wrong ?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

To prove my sanity. You can load pickup fuel coal and unload pickup freight coal from the same wagon and in one session? It's been over a year and now I'm having doubts if this can be done like this in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure I did achieve this.
This is what I'm trying to achieve :-

1. Load 36 empty coal hoppers using "fuel_Coal" pickup from a Coal loading tower.

2. Unload the same 36 loaded coal hoppers using "freight_Coal" pickup at a power station unloading point.

This can be done yes?

Thanks

#3 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:24 AM

So it appears you cannot load fuel_coal at a pickup 6 then unload that fuel_coal at a pickup type 2.

It can be done if both pickups have the same number ie 2. This will load the coal as freight and unload the coal as freight.

The only problem with this setup, is the coal when unloading, is design to fall under the wagon and under the pit floor, which is correct. However, when loading the wagon as freight coal, the coal starts under the pit floor and through the bottom of the wagon, which of course is incorrect. Hence the two entries to compensate for that problem :

Wagon unloading

MaxHeight(0.0) 
MinHeight(-3.70) 

Wagon loading

MaxHeight(0.0) 
MinHeight(-1.25) 

Having the same WAG entries as freight, the first one is always selected( which the manual does state). But loading fuel_coal cannot be unloaded as freight_coal. I'm still bamboozled by this as I am most certain I have achieve this in the past. Can Carlo or anyone confirm this?

Bit of dilemma as to what to do for the best results?

Thanks

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:04 PM

Coolhand101, on 21 May 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

So it appears you cannot load fuel_coal at a pickup 6 then unload that fuel_coal at a pickup type 2.
Are both pickup points defined in the WAG file?

If not I suspect that you will only be able to pickup from the pickup point defined in the WAG file.

#5 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

steamer_ctn, on 21 May 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

Are both pickup points defined in the WAG file?

If not I suspect that you will only be able to pickup from the pickup point defined in the WAG file.

Yes both defined as above, although no one has confirmed if they have any errors.

All my routes use fuel coal as loading pickup points and freight coal as unloading pickup points as well as the WAG files. They haven't been amended since 2016.
This is why I'm completely bewildered as to why I cannot get this this to work now as I still have activities that use to achieved this.

Just to recap.
If the activity starts with the coal train already loaded then I can unload freight coal at pickup type 2 and load fuel coal at pickup type 6, but cannot unload that coal again at pickup type 2.

If the activity starts with the coal train empty then I can load fuel coal at pickup type 6 but cannot unload that coal at pickup type 2.
With the latter activity, I made a few for certain routes where I load the coal at coal loading facility, take the fully loaded coal train to a power station to unload that coal. When I get to the unloading point, nothing is registered with the T key.

If I change the W file pickup number from 2 to 6, the T key can register the loaded coal train and I can unload the coal. Because of that, I was having grave doubt if my activities from 2016 did achieve this to begin with.

As I had already found out, I can use freight coal for loading and unloading if the route is using pickup's type 2 or fuel coal for loading and unloading if the routes pickup's are using type 6.

However you can see the WAG entries using different coal positions. For unloading, the coal moves through the bottom of the wagon and the unloading pit floor. For loading the coal, the coal starts at the bottom of the wagon. If both coal types are the same, the wagon will load the coal from the bottom of the pit floor then through wagon for type 2 or if type 6, the coal will unload fully and disappear before the pit floor.

This is now my dilemma as to what to do for the best results?

Thanks

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:16 AM

I have checked the code and nothing seems to have changed in freight loading-unloading since significant time.
From the code it seems possible to unload one freight and load another one if the Freight animation's freight type is defined as None and the wagon has two (or more) intake points, one for freight (or fuel) a and the other one for freight (or fuel) b.

#7 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

Csantucci, on 23 May 2020 - 06:16 AM, said:

I have checked the code and nothing seems to have changed in freight loading-unloading since significant time.
From the code it seems possible to unload one freight and load another one if the Freight animation's freight type is defined as None and the wagon has two (or more) intake points, one for freight (or fuel) a and the other one for freight (or fuel) b.

Hi Carlo

Just for a clear understanding.

What numbers do the pickup points in the World files need to be set to? And from my above WAG files, can you please edit what needs to changed.

Thanks

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

For the pickup points the rule is only that an unload point of a certain freight type has the same number as the load point, but with negative sign.
The numbers for the various pickup types are the ones specified in the OR manual.

The structure of the FreightAnim blocks has been significantly widened by someone else, so I am not able to have a check to your data.

#9 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

Csantucci, on 23 May 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

For the pickup points the rule is only that an unload point of a certain freight type has the same number as the load point

Yes, this I only recently found out again as I now remembered this back from 2016.

Since 2016, I was using fuel_coal, for the coal position to start filling at the bottom of the wagon. And freight coal, for the coal to be unloaded through the bottom of the wagon and under the pit floor.

This works 100% for an activity with the coal train already loaded as you can unload the coal(freight) then load the coal(fuel).

But not for loading then unloading the coal, the minimum height will be used for both points for the same type of freight or fuel.

So filling a Coal wagon(freight) and then unloading the same coal wagon(freight) in the same activity will give the same minimum height as specified in the WAG file. This is also applies to both wagons if using fuel coal as well.

If freightcoal is used for loading the wagon, the coal starts beneath the pit floor and wagon.
If fuelcoal is used for unloading the wagon, the coals disappears before reaching the pit floor.

I'm just trying to find the right combination before changing all my WAG wagons, which is to load the coal to start filling from the bottom of the wagon, then unload the coal by falling through the bottom of the wagon and beneath the pit floor in the same activity!

Thanks

#10 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:01 AM

I have tried every combination to get the coal to load then unload at different heights. It is not possible in that order!

Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users