• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjusting track gauge Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

A 1067mm gause set of default track replacements was made several years back. I expanded on it a bit, but have yet to release it, pending a few corrections

#12 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

I saw this feature mentioned in the Monogame change log somewhere.

How does it work & enabled? Does it only work with regular (i.e. non switch) track sections at present?

#13 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:26 AM

You need to
1) insert in the .trk file following line
	ORTSChangeTrackGauge ( 1 )

2) create a track profile as explained in document "How to create track profiles...", available by clicking on the "Documents" button in the OR stable or testing version
3) create a second track profile in file TrProfile.Tun.stf for the track profile of tunnels
4) set the "gauge" parameter in the Experimental Options equal to the value you want (and which must coincide with the gauge you have used for your track profile
5) act with the method explained here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__258856 to generate also narrow gauge switches. That is one way (attaching together existing narrow gauge shapes); the other one is to generate the narrow gauge switch shapes from scratch, keeping in mind that they should keep the geometry of the standard gauge switch as defined in tsection.dat
6) replace in the .w files the references to the standard gauge switch shape files with the ones to the narrow gauge switch shape files you generated in point 5.

#14 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:54 AM

It might be a long time till I get round to trying such things. In the meantime, two thoughts. Firstly is it possible for any of the adjusted routes to be shared with others? (This would presumably need permission of original route authors - or perhaps issue as an "unofficial" patch that can be added to the original route.) Secondly has anyone had a try at broad gauge - Ireland, Finland, India, Russia?

#15 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:15 AM

Hi Darwin,
I believe I'm the only one who modified a route that way (the freeware Albula Line), because no one asked for help up to today :) . I did the job on a route whose landscape I had already modified, so for sure I'd need an OK by the original author (Michael Vone, don't know if he is still present somewhere) to share it.
I don't see particular problems in using the feature for a broad gauge route; of course the original track layout should feature parallel track distances broad enough to accommodate the broader tracks without bad visual effects.

#16 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:30 AM

Hello

I guess this option would change all the tracks on the route, regardless of how wide they are on the route or a certain width can be changed.

#17 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 February 2021 - 06:26 AM, said:

You need to
1) insert in the .trk file following line
	ORTSChangeTrackGauge ( 1 )

2) create a track profile as explained in document "How to create track profiles...", available by clicking on the "Documents" button in the OR stable or testing version
3) create a second track profile in file TrProfile.Tun.stf for the track profile of tunnels
4) set the "gauge" parameter in the Experimental Options equal to the value you want (and which must coincide with the gauge you have used for your track profile
5) act with the method explained here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__258856 to generate also narrow gauge switches. That is one way (attaching together existing narrow gauge shapes); the other one is to generate the narrow gauge switch shapes from scratch, keeping in mind that they should keep the geometry of the standard gauge switch as defined in tsection.dat
6) replace in the .w files the references to the standard gauge switch shape files with the ones to the narrow gauge switch shape files you generated in point 5.

View Postdarwins, on 20 February 2021 - 06:54 AM, said:

It might be a long time till I get round to trying such things. In the meantime, two thoughts. Firstly is it possible for any of the adjusted routes to be shared with others? (This would presumably need permission of original route authors - or perhaps issue as an "unofficial" patch that can be added to the original route.) Secondly has anyone had a try at broad gauge - Ireland, Finland, India, Russia?

Hello,

I did exactly that. Created a profile representing 5ft 6in Indian Gauge, just to get an idea how it would look and if its worthwhile the effort of creating a new trackset.

It does look somewhat better, but the impact is not as obvious as going to a smaller gauge (i.e. MSTS default to metre / narrow gauge).

Some screenshots (and also perhaps bugs) below:-

This is 5 ft 6" Gauge. Not too different vs MSTS Gauge. Loco is a standard gauge piece
https://i.ibb.co/wL1sWDW/Open-Rails-2021-02-21-08-06-10.png

Aside from switches, end node track pieces also do not appear to get automatically converted. These are standard straight track pieces

https://i.ibb.co/HBY7xpQ/Open-Rails-2021-02-21-08-04-06.png

Also, my turntable vanished!! (I have moving turntables enabled on this route)

https://i.ibb.co/fkkhDHF/Open-Rails-2021-02-21-08-04-31.png

I did also note some visually "bad" track joints on double track curve pieces, where the default Kuju profile were fine.

#18 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:55 AM

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for the instructions, I'll work on that!

Paul :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users