Elvas Tower: Coupler Broken - Excessive Static Force - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coupler Broken - Excessive Static Force upon resuming from save Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

After not encountering this or being able to reproduce it, it has happened again...consist on the Crawford Route, heavy coal loads with helpers 1.8% grade.Same circumstance as before, upon resuming from save, the coupler immediately breaks due to excessive static force
from the log: OR Monogame Rev.76

Information: Coupler on CarID 0 - 93 has broken due to excessive static coupler force 1860838

Information: Coupler on CarID 0 - 93 has broken due to excessive static coupler force 1860838

Information: Coupler on CarID 0 - 94 has broken due to excessive static coupler force 1895343

#12 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:00 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 22 September 2020 - 09:55 PM, said:

After not encountering this or being able to reproduce it, it has happened again...consist on the Crawford Route, heavy coal loads with helpers 1.8% grade.Same circumstance as before, upon resuming from save, the coupler immediately breaks due to excessive static force
from the log: OR Monogame Rev.76

Can you look at the suggestions that were offered previously, and try them?

If we can reliably reproduce the problem, then we have a chance of trying to find and fix the problem.

Thanks

#13 User is offline   dajones 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

I suspect that this might be related to the performance problem that was found to be due to extra couplers being added to cars by the save/restore process. But I thought that was fixed.

In any case the logic that is used the check for excessive coupler force looks wrong. It is looping over all couplers defined for the cars and comparing the calculated coupler force with the limits defined for each. But the coupler force is calculated using only one of the defined couplers. That is the one returned by the Coupler getter which returns either Couplers[0] or Couplers[1] depending on the car orientation.

Doug

#14 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

To Doug and Peter...all you have posted may be true...but if you use the last stable version of OR V1.3 --- or even the earlier MG Rev like #55 -- the excessive static force coupler breaks do not happen. I have found that resuming a save from a grade less than 1% the couplers do not break. A grade of 1% and higher...excessive static force coupler breaks. Also sometimes starting an activity on grade ( 1% or higher ) the activity starts with a coupler break.
For Peter...I noticed you worked with the Train Simulations team on physics for the Mullan Route...its activity "Into the Storm" starts at grade...resuming from a save the static forces coupler break does occur. That's a ready made situation.

Is it possible to revert back to the old coupler code, until this elusive problem can be figured out? You'll never see it on high speed, light weight passenger trains...only on the heavy consists run on many modern heavy trains. It's not a show stopper...I just save and resume on the downslope of the grade, no problems.

#15 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

Hi Gerry,

View PostR H Steele, on 29 September 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

For Peter...I noticed you worked with the Train Simulations team on physics for the Mullan Route...its activity "Into the Storm" starts at grade...resuming from a save the static forces coupler break does occur. That's a ready made situation.
Whilst I provided some support, I do not have the final physics configurations that were released with Mullan Pass, or the route itself. Generally, I don't have any payware stock, etc.

If you can set up an appropriate scenario using the NS stock and my test route from my site (which has grades greater then 1%, in fact the NS stock was set up for a 1.4% grade) I can investigate it further.

View PostR H Steele, on 29 September 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

Is it possible to revert back to the old coupler code, until this elusive problem can be figured out?
In theory the "old coupler" code should still exist, and therefore should still operate the same as 1.3, however a small change may have "snuck" through, so a short secenario as you have described will help identify any issues

Thanks

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users