• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice for laying track Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

Before I go embark on anything serious, I've been practicing my tracklaying skills on a test board in TSRE.

And I will admit, I'm probably missing something big time.

While I've been able to get flat track laid down and connected together without the TDB getting messed up. I'm having some difficulties building a grade. I cannot seem to get the track to join properly together when it's elevated in any sort of way.

I'm also having difficulties getting two pieces of track to snap together after I've moved one of them to a different spot. I've taken it out of the TDB as advised before moving it to a different spot.

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

Laying track is often frustrating. For myself, knowing it is always a trial and error process helps set expectations.

TSRE does the task differently than KUJU's RE and I have limited experience to using for roads and tracks so others will probably provide more useful suggestions. What I can say tho is that it has helped me to turn on the Object Marker. This displays a small beige cube at the origin point of the track. It appears to be helpful to me to keep this at the same end whenever possible, such as the end that is connecting to the existing track shape. You cannot always do that w/ curves of course as it is still necessary to flip ends when you need to curve to the left. The reason I this comes with applying a gradient: There seems to be a situation where, with flipping the ends around, the software seems to lose track of the original origin point elevation and you wind up with vertically mis-alligned joint that cannot be corrected with additional flipping -- you have to delete that shape and start over. So pay attention.

One tip I read was always return the pitch to zero before flipping ends. Flip then redo the desired pitch. That seems to be very good advice.

I have found it very helpful to always turn on "snap to" when laying roads and tracks, ESPECIALLY when berms or bridges are present. YMMV.

Last, when laying track be VERY careful about clicking the mouse somewhere else, such as to begin a screen rotation. If perchance you have a currently selected road or track piece there is a risk your mousing may result it that actively selected shape being relocated w/o you being the least bit aware of having done it. It's one thing if that's a tree, another if it is the most recently placed track shape. IMO Goku should have function-specific cursors, including one for camera pan and another for camera rotate so those functions are not also doing object (pan) movement or object rotate. Standard features for 3d modeling tools.

Good luck!

#3 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:16 AM

Hi SD45T-2
You describe the exact same frustration I had when first using TSRE5 - the 'not snapping after moving'. It will not do that, and I was very used to it from RE. But has Genma stated, the tasks are done differently, so you will have to make an effort to "forget all that you know" (yeah, what a cliché ) about track laying. It will be well worth it. Instead of moving you will just have to delete it and place again. First place the object… give it the intended orientation (for curves or switchs) and then give it a grade. I enjoy very much the ability to introduce the exact value of grade that I want instead of rotation, the way it was done in RE - a great pain in the neck if you ask me. Also you may have noticed that you can choose the grade units you desire. Another bonus. TSRE is a great toll and you will have a lot to discover. It took me 4 or 5 weeks to complety forget about RE and the way i did things back then.

#4 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

First off, I've very rarely used the original route editor, so I'm (somewhat) starting from a clean slate. However, I've been deeply spoiled by Trainz's Surveyor. Probably the gold standard in route-building ease of use.

Thank you all for the tips so far. It was going rather well, until I crashed the program. Oh well, time to try again.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

View PostAldarion, on 14 May 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

You describe the exact same frustration I had when first using TSRE5 - the 'not snapping after moving'. It will not do that, and I was very used to it from RE.

Of course it will, just use Z first.

If you somehow fail to do that, use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V instead.

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

View PostSD45T-2, on 13 May 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

While I've been able to get flat track laid down and connected together without the TDB getting messed up. I'm having some difficulties building a grade. I cannot seem to get the track to join properly together when it's elevated in any sort of way.

Just first apply grade, then deselect. And if you fail to do that, use Z before editing track, or after.

If it's difficult to you, try setting your grade as default and then add tracks.

#7 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

I just discovered the default grade when I started building a route from a track profile. Much nicer than fiddling with pgup/pgdn, thank you.

#8 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

I have not yet discovered how to set a default gradient. Please explain.

#9 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:49 PM

View Postdarwins, on 18 September 2020 - 09:48 PM, said:

I have not yet discovered how to set a default gradient. Please explain.

New version: http://koniec.org/tsre5/data/TSRE5_v0.6956.exe

https://i.imgur.com/fJ8HVEm.png

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users