• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vac braking on MSTS eng/wag files Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

OK - so separate eng files is the way to go. I notice the files have different speed of release and application in the air passenger and goods ones - is that just because trains with coaches were faster to apply / release?

Yes, exactly so. With a passenger train the brakes on the carriages apply and release quite quickly (especially with twin pipe air brakes) so the loco brakes can do the same. With a long freight (single pipe air or vacuum) the rear wagons can be slow to apply and release, so the apply and release on the loco are slowed down to reduce bunching up of wagons or stretching of couplings.

In the absence of a functional release valve for vac-fitted stock for it to run as unfitted in an air-braked train (yes it would be a good feature!), to mimic a vac-fitted van in an air-braked train I'd need to remove its brakes and just have it through piped? How do you define a .wag file as having through pipe only (i.e. completely unfitted)?

If it is an air braked train set the vacuum wagons as having an air through pipe. This is an example from https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/physics/brakes/
Comment ( *************** Brakes - Wagon Section - General ********************** ) 
   		 BrakeEquipmentType    ( "Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir, Handbrake" ) 
   		 BrakeSystemType       ( "Air_piped" ) Comment (Wagons not fitted with air brakes) 
   		 MaxHandbrakeForce     ( 7.971kN )      Comment ( Empty weight - 6.5t-uk, NBR - 0.6, Friction - 0.5 ) 
   	   BrakePipeVolume       ( 0.145ft^3 )

I can't immediately see what is wrong with the example you have used above. But you can try to copy and paste the example from the CTN website.

To begin with you only need to change these two lines

MaxBrakeForce                              ( x )    
MaxHandbrakeForce                          ( x )

CTN has a calculator to help you work out values, you might also then want to adjust

BrakePipeVolume                            ( x )

or change the ORTSBrakeShoeFriction from Cobra to Cast Iron.

By all means slow down application and release - I have used 6.0 for goods wagons.

For British, European as well as most African and Asian stock leave any references to emergency reservoirs well alone. The examples on CTN are set up to not have any emergency reservoirs. Such things are generally only needed in the Americas.

#12 User is offline   Swallowtail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:32 AM

View Postdarwins, on 04 May 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

Although if you choose the simple controls option on the options tab then you can use any loco with any mixture of stock and the brakes will work.

I can't see this? Running on latest unstable version...

#13 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:29 AM

Choose Options
Select the "Simulation" tab
At the bottom left you will see "Simple Contol and Physics"
Spelling mistake there makes it sound a bit like a rude word in Indonesian...

#14 User is offline   Swallowtail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:58 AM

Doesn't show for me...

I have both stable and unstable installed, running from different directories. The options pages look identical in both.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: or.JPG

#15 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:18 AM

You will need a more recent unstable version I think...

Go to Options>Updater and choose:
https://i.imgur.com/pN120Rx.jpg

Then you will hopefully get:

https://i.imgur.com/xUYlsS1.jpg
https://imgur.com/xUYlsS1

#16 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:56 AM

side note:
I don't think that running Open Rails from different directories makes them run diferent options, even with one running a stable version and the other running an unstable version… I can be wrong!

#17 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:01 PM

View PostAldarion, on 06 May 2020 - 05:56 AM, said:

side note:
I don't think that running Open Rails from different directories makes them run diferent options, even with one running a stable version and the other running an unstable version… I can be wrong!

That will depend on whether you use a standard ORTS setup or add a little tweak to it. There is no difference between any of the different releases, though (other than newer releases might have additional options that are ignored by older ones).

• A standard-ORTS install will save all settings to the registry. Thus, any other install will read those same settings from the registry - in a nutshell, all installs will use the same settings.

• You can, however, make ORTS portable, IE independent of the registry, by adding a simple, empty text file named "openrails.ini" to any one install. ORTS will then try to read the settings from there instead of the registry.

Of coure, on initial set up, that will make you seemingly "lose" your settings. Of course, they still reside in the registry, but simply aren't read. You will have to port them manually to your new portable install, though.

To do that, copy your portable install to a temporary location and remove "openrails.ini", makng it a standard install again. Then run both the temporary standard install (or any other standard install you have on your system) as well as the portable one, at the same time. You can then switch between both instances' options panels and carry over each and every setting. It may take a while, of course, but you only need to do that once - if you keep a "master copy" of openrails.ini somewhere, that you keep updated with all important changes and then simply copy to any install that you want these settings to be used on.

On a side note, portable installations are cool, because you can copy them on a USB thumb drive (along with some content) and carry it along to use on any PC you want. I used to do that when I was in compulsory civilian service with the local ambulance squad to make those boring nights at the more rural stations pass faster :D

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Markus

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostAldarion, on 06 May 2020 - 05:56 AM, said:

side note:

Different versions can have different options. I have 4 versions, different stages of OR development from version 1 forwards. Each version has its own set of options. What you cannot do is have several different installs of the same version with different options, unless you use the openrails.ini file within each install.

#19 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:14 PM

openrails.ini huh?. Always learning :)

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 06 May 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

Different versions can have different options. I have 4 versions, different stages of OR development from version 1 forwards. Each version has its own set of options. What you cannot do is have several different installs of the same version with different options, unless you use the openrails.ini file within each install.

Guess I goofed on that one and I can only second Aldarion: Always learning :D

In order to not highjack this thread, I will post a new one to further discuss these matters, since you've got my understanding "option sets" completely messed up now, Mervyn http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bigboss.gif

Cheers, Markus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users