• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE5 Consist Editor Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

Not sure if this is the correct location on the forum for this question, and if not, hopefully someone will point me to the proper place to make this post. I have been using Goku's Consist Editor for almost a year now and have had absolutely no issues w/the editor. It is intuitive and, therefore, quite easy to learn and to maneuver around. And until today, I have had absolutely no problems creating and/or editing consists the entire time I have been using it. But today, after multiple attempts, I have been unable to launch the CE. I click on the same shortcut I have used for months, the normal screen pops up showing the available folders and the number of consists and rolling stock folders, nothing happens. I have about 3300 consists so loading is not instantaneous, but always in less than 1 minute.
Now, I have waited up to 5 minutes and eventually closed the program because it was not responding. It worked fine as late as yesterday when I added & modified a couple of consists. I have removed both of those consists, as well as others that I added/modified in the past few days thinking that possibly one might have been corrupted, but the program still does not launch.
So, I have two questions. First, has anyone else experienced this situation and if so, do you happen to know what caused it and what can be done to prevent recurrence? Second, can someone tell me what the most recent version of Goku's CE is and where I can find it. Each time I do a Google search, I end up with a link to an early release. The version I am currently using is v0.69752.
Any and all help is much appreciated. Clint

#2 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:39 PM

Step No. 1 for computer issues: When in doubt, reboot. :bigboss:

#3 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:55 PM

Rebooting was the first thing I did. Have also done it several times hence w/no effect. Clint

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:49 PM

The website for TSRE is http://koniec.org/tsre5/

#5 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

What has changed since you last ran the CE? New programs? Perhaps a Microsoft update? Is your version the latest CE? Other potential issues: free space (RAM and disk?

Just thoughts.

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

Nighthawk, open file location and check the log.txt -- this may provide the reason for your problem, also make sure the target for the bat file is pointing to the correct location.

#7 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:00 AM

Sorry for the delayed response. As far as recent changes to the pc or o/s, there have been none. I did not remember just where RE & CE resided on this pc, so I went into the properties menu for both shortcuts & discovered both reside in my downloads folder on my C drive. This was a surprise b/c I believe the install instructions call for both RE & CE to be installed in a folder containing both "Global" & "Routes" folders. All of my routes reside in 8 separate mini routes residing on my D drive, but the target for the shortcut I created months ago is the Downloads folder in my C drive.
That said, until yesterday, both programs have worked perfectly since the original install months ago. Also, my RE still functions perfectly...but the CE does not.

As mentioned in my original note, when I click on the shortcut to CE, I get the normal popup window that shows all mini routes and the location where they reside. A screen shot of that window is attached.

So. Bottom line here is that to my knowledge, there have been no recent changes on the pc that I am aware of that might have caused this problem. I was working in both RE & CE as late as 2 days ago & experienced no issues. However, after shutting down the pc for the night & restarting yesterday, RE continues to work fine but it appears that the pc cannot locate the path to the location where CE resides. THAT is my own unprofessional assessment based on the fact that the mini route selection window still opens up normally, but instead of opening up the consist files associated w/a specified mini route, the pc keeps searching for that file as long as I am willing to allow it to do so.

One additional bit of information. All of my consist files reside in a common consist folder that also resides on my D drive, and each route is linked to that file. I set this up a couple of years ago to save space on the hard drive. I have done the same for my Trainset, Shapes, TerrTex, & Textures folders and have not had any operating problems w/it since the initial setup. I have checked the link to the common consist folder & it is still functional. Clint

#8 User is offline   m61 

• Fireman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Hello. When I install the latest version of TSRE, I change the name of the downloaded file, for example TSRE5_v0.698.1.exe, to TSRE5.exe. In the ConsistEditor.bat file I always have the TSRE5.exe --conedit line. I do not have to edit the ConsistEditor.bat file and the new version shortcut after each new TSRE5 update.

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

100% you added some broken consist/trainset file and TSRE is unable to load it. Check last log file line.

#10 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:24 AM

Thank You Goku! You were 100% correct. I removed all recently created/modified consists from the consist folder as well as a single folder from the trainset folder & CE launched normally. Now I just need to go back & eliminate possibilities & ID the culprit. Thanks again as well as to all who provided support. As always, it is much appreciated. Clint

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users