• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

American TCS script development Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

Add a whole new layer of depth to your simulation by simulating train safety and cab signaling systems. Find my work on GitHub. You'll need to run the May 15, 2020 or later testing release of Open Rails.

The following scripts have been released:

• Santa Fe Automatic Train Stop (Surfliner, Cajon Pass, etc.)
  • Pennsylvania Railroad Cab Signaling System (PRR Eastern Region)

Original post:

Now that I've made myself familiar with the TCS scripting interface, I'm in a position to write my own scripts. My very first is a simulation of the ex-Santa Fe Automatic Train Stop system, currently (or at least until very recently) used by Amtrak, Metrolink, and Coaster on the Surf Line. Here it is in action.

ATS is basically the American equivalent of the British AWS in that the system uses passive inductors that trip alarms for non-clear signals, speed reductions, and other hazards. The Surfliner route, of course, does not actually model these inductors, so like Carlo's AWS script, my ATS script "infers" their presence beside any signal on >40mph track and 2 miles ahead of any >20mph speed limit reduction.

Eventually, I hope to simulate the PRR/LIRR cab signalling and Amtrak ACSES systems. So far, I haven't needed to use any of Carlo's proposed TCS extensions, but I suspect I will have to eventually.

#2 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:40 PM

The GitHub repository is up, and so is the finished version of the Santa Fe ATS script! Just hit the Download ZIP button and follow the instructions given in both readmes. I make use of csantucci's new TCS extensions, so for now, you will need to run the NewYear MG version of OR.

If you have the 3DTrains Surfliner pack, I've also included a conversion kit to outfit all locomotives and cab cars with ATS.

Meanwhile, I've started and made good progress on the PRR cab signalling script. The SetNextSignalAspect function allowed me to implement realistic cab signalling that displays the current aspect in force, as opposed to the "future" one as Kuju originally programmed MSTS to do. You even get a little PRR-style peanut whistle when the new aspect is more restrictive and the cab signal drops to "Restricting" just before you reach a Stop signal. So far, it's quite neat to run with on PRR Eastern Region. All that's left to do is to implement speed enforcement.

#3 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

The PRR cab signaling script has been completed and documented. It is designed for the PRR Eastern Region route, and a conversion kit has been included so you can outfit all of the stock that comes with the route.

The script changes the cab signals to behave authentically (by showing the current aspect, not the "next" one) and enforces suppression braking and penalty stops. Speaking for myself, it makes the driving experience vastly more exciting!

Also, now that Csantucci's TCS extensions have been mainlined, you no longer need to run NewYear OR. You may use the May 15 testing release or later.

#4 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:49 PM

Finally got to modern Amtrak safety systems on the NEC (ATC and ACSES). The script is not quite yet done, but it's very close to release - and, I hope, reality. Here's a demonstration video: https://youtu.be/SUGYjtR9lcY

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users