• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screenshots Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frank C. 

• Fireman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:52 AM

Maybe this has been covered before under a different topic and I can't find it but...Is there anyway to implement/change the option as to HOW screenshots are saved? I know PNG is the preferred/best method but not all forums seem to easily take PNG and when you have 10 screens to share, converting them via an outside app can be timely even in today's "instant" world.

So with that being said, is there anyway to give an option for PNG/JPG/???? type of screenshot saving?

Regards,

-Frank C.

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Our primary cost driver is disk space and we're using 190% of what we pay for (perhaps we get a discount because we've been a customer for so long). .png files are not compressed, .jpg's are.

You can use IRFAN to do a bulk conversion of picture file formats (press B to bring up the window to do this).

#3 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:32 PM

I use a handy little program called "greenshot" - a free download. When I click printscreen it gives me a pop-up menu with many options including save as .jpg. You can configure it so one of the menue items saves to a predefined folder in a predefined format like .jpg. It can also copy into the clipboard.
Christopher

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 April 2020 - 01:09 AM

Hi Dave,
I've just tried IRFAN and it's great! Thanks for the tip.

#5 User is offline   Frank C. 

• Fireman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

Genma Saotome, on 25 April 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

Our primary cost driver is disk space and we're using 190% of what we pay for (perhaps we get a discount because we've been a customer for so long). .png files are not compressed, .jpg's are.

You can use IRFAN to do a bulk conversion of picture file formats (press B to bring up the window to do this).

Agreed PNG's are the better way, but there are two forums I am a part of that seem to insist on JPG and I was hoping it might be easier, for future people as well, if there was a PNG/JPG option built into ORTS. ;)

I was trying to avoid using an external app myself.

Regards,

-Frank C.

#6 User is offline   TrainChris4460 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

Hi All!

I've found it easier to open a picture (PNG/JPEG/JPG/GIF) in MS Paint and 'Save As' the preferred file type. MS Paint is already installed on most Microsoft computers, but I thought Apple had a similar program. I figured I'd add this as it would save people from downloading additional programs (and potentially spam downloads). I use this method a lot when working with GIF's of trains and 'repainting' for my own use in building future/potential passenger rail services and paint schemes/consists. Ironically, I just used this method to cover some numbers for the ID card I sent in here!

Hope that helps! :)
-TrainChris4460

#7 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

If you like Paint you'll love Paint dot net.
It's free and safe.

Steve

#8 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

Paint.net is how I handle all my screenshots.

Let's say I want to make a preview image for a new signal system (I just did this a few minutes ago, so guess what that means) They come out of OR as .pngs, so I trim them to sie, add any logos, and then save one version as a medium-size .jpg for a preview here, and another as a tiny .gif for use at TS. This whole process takes a couple minutes, but if you're ot editing anything, it will take just a couple seconds to convert formats

#9 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:32 PM

Csantucci, on 26 April 2020 - 01:09 AM, said:

Hi Dave,
I've just tried IRFAN and it's great! Thanks for the tip.

I've been using IRFAN for at least 20 years, probably much longer. It'll play video too.

Which reminds me, for all of the time I've used MSTS and for most of the time I've used OR I've done <ctrl><prntscrn> to take a screenshow. I'll touch pause, do <cntl><tab> and then paste it into IRFAN. If it looks good enough to keep I will save it to a route-specific folder. If I need to crop it a little I'll do taht first and if I don't like it I won't save it all. I then return to OR and unpause. Now most of the time I'm actually not running an activity but checking out a model that was recently edited. This may require moving the camera around to examine it from all angles. Multiple screenshots are taken and maybe one is kept -- the one with the visible error in it.

All those years... until some months back when somebody chose not to implement <ctrl><prntscrn> in the mon0game version of OR. So now it's saving all of those uneditied .pngs somewhere making it much more work to figure out which image to save and which images to delete. Could you please enable <ctrl><prntscrn> again? Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users