Elvas Tower: Steam Locomotive - Manual Firing Features - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive - Manual Firing Features Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

Over time, some new or altered features will be added to support manual firing operation of a steam locomotive. These will all be in the OR Unstable version at this stage.

The first one added is a Boiler Blowdown Valve. See attached screenshot example.

The boiler blowdown valve was used to remove sediments from the boiler which could impact its efficiency. Depending upon the water used in the boiler blowdown could be used regularly when the locomotive was in operation. See here for a more detailed explanation.

To set this feature up the following parameters need to be added.

i) BlowdownFX - adds special affect to the locomotive. see here for more detail.

ii) CabControl token = ORTS_BLOWDOWN_VALVE

ii) Key control = Shft + C - toggle on and off.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: boiler_blowdown_valve.jpg

#2 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:50 PM

The next feature is an update of the radiated heat model from the boiler.

A more detailed description can be found here.

A well insulated boiler will only result in the loss of about 1% of the heat produced by the coal, so in the overall scheme of things this feature may not have a large impact on boiler operation. An uninsulated boiler would be the complete opposite, and have a large impact on the operation of the locomotive.

OR uses a series of default values for this feature, so most users will not need to make any adjustments.

However if desired the following parameters can be set by the user in the ENG file:

i) ORTSBoilerSurfaceArea - Surface area of the boiler / fire box that impacts heat loss. Default UoM - ft^2

ii) ORTSFractionBoilerInsulated - Fraction of boiler surface area covered by insulation (less then 1)

iii) ORTSHeatCoefficientInsulation - Thermal conduction coefficient. Default UoM - (BTU / ((sq. ft.) / hr.)) / (1 (in. / F))

#3 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 12 April 2020 - 11:30 PM

Good news! Nice to hear that there are new options / extensions for steam locomotives. :drinks:

Concerning blowdown, will there also be a new sound-discrete trigger? Then it would complete everything. :)

#4 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:39 PM

View PostQJ-6811, on 12 April 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

Concerning blowdown, will there also be a new sound-discrete trigger? Then it would complete everything. :)

If you can provide me with a suitable "open source" sound, and wish to work with me to test it, then I am happy to look at adding sound triggers.

Thanks

#5 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:25 AM

Attached the "blow-down" sound that I often use, and an example in the .SMS file. (currently (mis)used the SHIFT-V (mirror) function)
Regarding testing is fine!

(I will contact you offline)

#6 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:18 PM

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping the gun here but while we're discussing this, I'd like to add that since most steam locos have two or more blowdown valves, it'd be nice to have separate controls for the second valve. (Ctrl+Shift+C, possibly?)

#7 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:31 AM

View PostTraindude, on 21 April 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping the gun here but while we're discussing this, I'd like to add that since most steam locos have two or more blowdown valves, it'd be nice to have separate controls for the second valve. (Ctrl+Shift+C, possibly?)

Was this the case? In the literature that I have seen only one valve is mentioned.

#8 User is online   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:34 AM

It seems that more modern locomotives used a continuous automatic blowdown system.

Is there an interest in having this functionality? Does anybody have access to a detailed description of this type of blowdown?

Thanks

#9 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 23 April 2020 - 04:31 AM, said:

Was this the case? In the literature that I have seen only one valve is mentioned.

On many of the locomotives here in the US there are at least two blowdown valves, one on each side of the engine at each front corner of the firebox.

#10 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:31 AM

This is very different per type of locomotive ......
Many locomotives have 1 lever operable in the cabin, a second one (if present) can often be manually operated outside.
True, as in China (and US?) Often have two levers in the Cabin, on either side, left and right, near the firebox, and one outside the front of the boiler, which is also manually operated outside (occasionally).
BTW, with many European ("German") locomotives these are opened with air control.

I think one Blowdown function is already very nice, a possible second would of course also be nice. (but it will cost a second BlowdownFX and ORTS_BLOWDOWN_VALVE ....., key and sound triggers .... How far do you want to go?)

Subject "automatic blowdown" never heard of? Go and find out how this works, I'm curious.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users