Elvas Tower: New Activity Editor?!? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Activity Editor?!? An important missing piece for this program Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:03 AM

Good evening everyone, I am looking for contacts to suggest ideas on creating a new activity editor ..
Unfortunately I have no ability to create programs or edit codes .. and I would have the pleasure of being able to give suggestions to someone who perhaps thinks of building it or who is working on it .. I am a habitual creator of activity (I create them almost every day) , and I would like to see a development in this area too !!

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:50 AM

Hello Baldo,

There already is a new activity editor ... TSRE.
Sort the list by date to show latest version at the top, d/l the executable, place it in a new folder on your desktop, open the folder and double on the exe to run the installer.

When done, configure the settings.txt file (point tsre to your MSTS main folder location) and then run the bat file to start the Activity Editor.

Acitvity Editor Manual >>>===> https://docs.google....tZkmc2wNIU/edit

regards,
vince

edit:add info & link

#3 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply! I knew about the TSRE5 integrated activity editor (which I have)
I will study the manual better, because I would definitely like to close with the old TS Activity Editor ..!

#4 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:17 PM

View PostFS.E652 091, on 05 April 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply! I knew about the TSRE5 integrated activity editor (which I have)
I will study the manual better, because I would definitely like to close with the old TS Activity Editor ..!

I agree, I'm getting old and TSRE's activity editor, is difficult to use compared to MSTS AE and it doesn't even have a path creator. I know you can go into time table mode but it is a pain in the butt to do. Now I'm not saying the TSRE is garbage, I'm just saying for this guy, his old age and his cerebral palsy, it is difficult to use.

#5 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

I'm 59. I keep the manual open to the page most relevant to what I'm working on. I love being able to place loose consists in the editor, but that is as far as I've gotten with it.

#6 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:44 PM

I read your answers ... the concept is this guys ... I'm 24 years old .. almost 25 ..
I have been developing routes for train simulators for a long time but at the same time I play almost every day activities .. especially in my route ...
The concept is that Timetable Mode can never be understood as a substitute for the activity editor because it has a totally different concept .. on the timetable mode reproduce a time mode in which you reproduce the time bands of that precise line ...
it certainly has its PRO ... but after trying it I can absolutely say that it is not a substitute for the activity editor because the concept of creating an activity consists in being able to reproduce a service that follows an hourly track, unexpected events and real crossings also including extraordinary crossings such as freight trains or other ...
thing that on a timetable mode, if you want to reproduce, it is to get your head out because you have to find an hourly track that does not interfere with other services and if it interferes you have to do more and more tests ... not to mention then reproduce it in a scenario with multiple branches !!!

Now ... I enjoyed the TSRE5 activity editor but unfortunately as a skilled activity creator it has many shortcomings ...
does not have an integrated path editor, and above all crashes depending on the function you put .. in short, you create an activity but you must have ready-made paths ...
in any case for those who have no hand, its use is really complex ..
nowadays, it would be nice to have an activity editor that refers to the old and dear Msts activity editor as a style, easy and accessible and especially usable for expert and non-expert users ...
why not? you could also integrate the timetable creation function in this activity editor, thus replacing that excel sheet that makes you sclerare !!
An intuitive activity editor, which adds selectable functions ... well ... we understand each other ...

Nowadays, I think it is essential to have a program like this, because if the concept of simulation is beautiful, it is also nice to be able to create activities in a simple way without complicating life.

obviously, I use and I will continue to use the MSTS activity editor, with which I have a good hand and I have been used to it for years ... I tried to change with the TSRE5 and with the timetable mode .. but obviously, I will never use them again ..

#7 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:47 PM

I would agree with the above ideas.

My computer and OR set ups are now so different from MSTS, that any attempt to use the old MSTS editors simply crashes them.

As with MSTS it would be best to have a simple, high level activity editor that includes both a path editor and a consist editor. Since OR is still very much reliant on the old MSTS MaxVelocity ( x y ) to control the speed and acceleration of AI traffic it would be good to have a way to edit this - preferably some means to change these numbers when AI traffic attaches or detaches wagons or helper locos - so that the behaviour of a train can change accordingly.

The great thing about activity mode is being able to give detailed instructions and work orders - one of the things that makes it different to timetable mode.

Having said that we also need a user friendly editor for creating timetables. I have struggled at times with the combination of spreadsheet and existing timetable editor. Putting both together and including consist and path editors seems like a way to go again.

Finally we need to look at having more control of variables for trains entering either a timetable or an activity. When I last used timetable mode all trains started as stationary - as one starting location was on a main line coming into the route - also on a gradient - trains starting there struggled to get up to speed. Also particularly with steam a train that has already travelled a long way before joining the route should not start with a full tender and the fire and boiler a long way from equilibrium.

#8 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

I can only agree with what is written ..
The Activity editor of Train Simulator with everything that is old is the best ever
because it allows you to create and manage an activity at your leisure ...
It has a Path Editor, a consist editor, a display with the integrated path ...
but the most important thing is that making the crossing trains is very easy and fast ...

The concept of activity editor is this, that is, a program based on AE ...
without the user complicating his life .. and having many functions available
to be able to make activity become even more beautiful ..
Let's also remember that there are rolling stock that use a new 3D creation system
relating to the management of transparencies, which many of the times does not make them functional
on the activity editor .. that is, if you keep them installed it crashes ..
Here, on this also, you must also have a program that also allows you to be able to use
at best the new rolling stock otherwise many inexperienced users are forced to keep them sideways ..

what to say? I hope maybe one day someone who knows how to plan everything
read this topic .. I would be available to suggest what to implement or not .. at your disposal ..
unfortunately I have no skills nor time to study Open Rails code otherwise I don't
I would be here to hope that someone comes to our aid !!

Good night!! :-D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users