Elvas Tower: Cruise control - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cruise control Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

With OR NewYear MG rev. 103.1 a new cabview configuration for Cruise Control is supported.
The regulation of the max force is done by the "throttle" part of the combined control of the locomotive.
Here an example of .cvf and .eng files
Attached File  CC_CombinedControl.zip (9.26K)
Number of downloads: 344
In the example case the auto mode is on when the preset speed is different from zero; if the preset speed is equal to zero, that part of the combined control works as a standard throttle (manual mode). To switch mode it is required that the combined control is in the central position.
When the combined control is in the dynamic brake range, be it in auto or manual mode, the dynamic brake is activated.
The speed setting is performed by a multiposition controller similar to the one of the ETR500 and of the E464. The only difference is that the zero position is stable.
Of course also configurations are supported where the CC mode switch is steered by a .cvf switch or button, or where the speed setting is done with a lever whose position determines the set speed.

The .xls file with the description of the CC parameters, available here http://www.interazio..._Parameters.xls , has been updated with two new .eng file parameters:
- UseThrottleInCombinedControl, which is related to the above described feature
- StartReducingSpeedDeltaDownwards.
For both, a short description is present in the .xls file.

A new release of the ETR400 HST should be available in the near future, which includes this feature.

#82 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:05 AM

The patch for the new release of the ETR400 HST mentioned in above post is now available at the bottom of my download page (see link in the signature of the post). A readme file in English is present in the patch pack.

#83 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:07 AM

darwins, on 05 August 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

Second question, would anyone want that in ORTS? Anyone out there seriously want to cruise a set of coal hoppers round a power station at 1 km/h?

I do look forward to trying the speed setter on a fast electric locomotive. :)

I would definitely like to see this implemented.

#84 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:14 AM

I don't know if it works smoothly, but you can try setting a 1 km/h speed limit around the coal hopper discharge area and equip one locomotive with the Cruise Control settings available in ORNYMG.

#85 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:15 PM

Csantucci, on 25 September 2021 - 02:14 AM, said:

I don't know if it works smoothly, but you can try setting a 1 km/h speed limit around the coal hopper discharge area and equip one locomotive with the Cruise Control settings available in ORNYMG.

I've just learned you have added so many new cab/cvf features. I see one of them being ORTS ODOMETER. Can you show me how to properly set it up in the cab's .cvf file?

#86 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:16 PM

I'll try to provide you an answer. As I have previously written, what I have done is adapting the work of Jindrich :)
By the way I wrote something wrong in my post above. It is not needed to put a speedlimit in the route. It's the speed regulator of the loco that has to be put at 1 Km/h. And re that issue, I have some questions:
- do such locomotives have a continuous or notched force regulation?
- does Cruise Control manage only the motive force, or also the dynamic/train brake force when running at such low speeds?

#87 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:52 AM

Csantucci, on 25 September 2021 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'll try to provide you an answer. As I have previously written, what I have done is adapting the work of Jindrich :)

Thank you! I am working on a new version of my Evolution Series cab and this would be a lovely addition to it. I will be adding fuel gauge and RPM indicator as in real life (thank you very much for those) and I am trying to figure out a couple of more perks :)

Csantucci, on 25 September 2021 - 11:16 PM, said:

By the way I wrote something wrong in my post above. It is not needed to put a speedlimit in the route. It's the speed regulator of the loco that has to be put at 1 Km/h. And re that issue, I have some questions:
- does Cruise Control manage only the motive force, or also the dynamic/train brake force when running at such low speeds?

I am afraid I can't answer these questions. I do have an ES44DC manual and in it, the Slow Speed Control is described in detail, however, I see no mention of Dynamic braking in this mode. The manual goes over the proper procedures to turn this feature on and off, as well as to set up desired speed on the locomotive computer screen.

#88 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:27 AM

There is no such regulator on the European locomotives of Siemens and Bombardier. It sets the desired travel speed with the CC lever, pushes the normal cruise control to maximum and the rest is controlled by the computer. This is how KISS and FLIRT EMU work.

At such low speeds, they already brake with air brakes. FLIRT EMU for sure, I interviewed a friend of mine who leads one. Below 5km / h, the air brake is already working.

#89 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Laci, my question was about american diesels pulling coal trains at very low speed.

#90 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:45 AM

That's true, sorry.

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic