Elvas Tower: Cruise control - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cruise control Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Jindrich 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

Hi.
Almost all I see here can be set up in my private version of OR with cruise control.
Also with new type of lever called "MultiPositionController", you can stack up positions of controller any way you wish, and also set up flags of the positions, like if it's spring loaded, need to confirm new acceleration after braking, etc. Of course it's limited by it's internal logic, but everything can be adjusted.
The system is incorporating completely redesigned UpdateMotiveForce method, witch does all the beauty. The trick is to control the force directly instead of using the throttle, which is limited to resolution of 100 steps (0-100%). Also by using throttle, to hook the CC into it will move the throttle lever, which is not real. Also the approach I am using is to calculate very accurate force needed and thus very precise speed control. It also calculate average climb/descent rate of the whole train, to react faster.
There is still option to use throttle instead of force directly. I am using this option for diesel engines, as you need also control the RPM of the diesel engine and also sound.
The CC can be configured also to use pneumatic brakes when the dynamic is not sufficient, but this is not yet perfectly tested.
Of course you can set the maximum power, described here as tension lever. It can be set by steps or by percent. With steps, you can set up a table with percentages for each step. New thing is also something we here call a "Restricted Speed" mode, which tells you, when presset, how many metres left until the whole train pass the position, where you pressed it. Usable for precise stopping by platform, by also, when you increase speed when restricted speed is active, the train will continue previous speed, until it reaches 0m point, and start to accelerate automatically.

The other thing I did is I removed the vigilance sections completely, and write my own vigilance system called "Mirel". Almost all CZ/SK locos are equipped with Mirel, an also some PL and HU.
It's a combination of signal repeater and vigilance, and I have done about 99% of its real functions according to a very detailed documentation.

Etc, etc. I have battery switch, active station selector, cargo/pax switch, splash screen possibility for modern glass cabins, automatic parking ....
I will now do re-fubrish of my code, as some sections are very dirty, then we will see what to do next.

#12 User is offline   FloBarr 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

In France, as said, we have the VI (Vitesse imposée): it rely on a rotating lever which can take several positions: 0 - CD - CM - VI. It's use is combined with traction/braking lever.
For each position:
0: no traction or dynamic braking, on DMU and EMU i drive/drove, MPT (Manipulateur Traction Freinage - Traction Braking Lever) is locked on this position.
CD: Couplage - Désaccouplement: used to attach or detach, limiting speed around 3 km/h, no automatic dynamic brake.
CM: Commande Manuelle: the driver has full control on the traction or dynamic brake.
VI: the engineer rotate and select a speed, shown by a needle on a display. The system try to obtain the displayed speed, but is constrained by the position of le MPT. If unsufficiant power is given, the speed can't be reached. The dynamic braking is automaticaly managed.

I've read above about lever with stable AND unstable positions (0 - N +). Is this available somewhere with OR? If not, I've developped such a control for my french engines, usable for traction, traction/braking, and train brake levers (with optional emergency pos). Is this interresting? It rely on a new style definition, and is pretty easy to use.

Flo

#13 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:50 AM

Aldarion, on 29 March 2020 - 02:51 PM, said:

In Portugal, here's how it works on a CP5600 Eurosprinter (DB127 type):

After occuping the cabin, making all tests and releasing the brakes:

-Turn the AFB switch to VI position. In the display a pictogram is shown confirming the selection.

-Turn the VI lever to desired position. on activating this, there is a small orange pointer in the speedometer that turns from 0 to 220 km/h

-Turn the traction/dynamic brake lever to full traction.

-Release the train brakes

And you're off.
Activating the Train brakes or moving the traction/dynamic brake lever to dynamic brake quadrant will deactivate the cruise control. to regain cruise control the T/DB must be set to 0 and release train brakes.

To maintain the desired speed on descend the teorethical value for TE is reduced . If that is not enough the VI system will comute directly to a dynamic braking. As soon as 70% of dynamic braking effort is used, then the EP train brake is activated.

#14 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:53 AM

In Hungary, too, this system is used in SIEMENS and BOMBARDIER locomotives.

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:02 AM

FloBarr, on 19 May 2020 - 06:09 AM, said:

Hi,

I've read above about lever with stable AND unstable positions (0 - N +). Is this available somewhere with OR? If not, I've developped such a control for my french engines, usable for traction, traction/braking, and train brake levers (with optional emergency pos). Is this interresting? It rely on a new style definition, and is pretty easy to use.

Flo

I'm thinking again about cruise control. I'm interested in your lever. Is it possible to get the code for it?

#16 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:20 AM

Hi Carlo

Is it possible to also add Flo's controller to EngineControllers for general use in OR. There are two uses I can see for this. One is for tap changer electric locomotives as mentioned here

Throttle controller notches:
-- = instant off for traction, and run-down tranformer tap notches
0 = run-down tap notches
- = one tap notch down
N = neutral
+ = one tap notch up
++ = run-up tap notches
Which might end up giving something like this:
Throttle ( 0 0.6 0.1 0
 NumNotches ( 6 )
  Notch ( 0.0   0  Off )
  Notch ( 0.2   0  RunDown )
  Notch ( 0.4   0  NotchDown )
  Notch ( 0.6   0  Hold )
  Notch ( 0.8   0  NotchUp )
  Notch ( 1.0   0  RunUp )
 ORTSNumberofTransformerTaps ( 38 )
 ORTSNumberofWeakFieldNotches ( 2 )
 ORTSNotchChangeTime (0.9s) ) )

Also the same kind of logic could be applied to a steam reverser in a steam locomotive
ORTSSteamReverser ( 0 1 0.5 0.5
 NumNotches( 3 )
  Notch ( 0.0 0 RunDown )
  Notch ( 0.5 0 Hold )
  Notch ( 1.0 0 RunUp )
Cutoff ( -0.55 0.75 0.01 0 ) )

Steam reversers are usually sprung so that they would only Run Up or Run Down when W or S key was pressed and held (or control held with mouse) WHILE_PRESSED, when released they return to Hold / Neutral position.

#17 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:38 AM

Yes, some e-locos with multiple-stepped traction cintrollers has the same controls,
in form of handles: "fast off"/"neutral"/"-1"/"fixation"/"+1"/ and maybe "field wakening" (up to 4 notches) or "automatic run-up"
https://www.youtube....h?v=loPqFD6A8-I
"N"/"+1" work; 1:09 "field wakening" notches; 3:24 "fast-off"
or buttons +/-
https://www.youtube....h?v=M0X_02nr_14

#18 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 December 2020 - 01:30 PM

FloBarr, on 19 May 2020 - 06:09 AM, said:

Hi,

In France, as said, we have the VI (Vitesse imposée): it rely on a rotating lever which can take several positions: 0 - CD - CM - VI. It's use is combined with traction/braking lever.
For each position:
0: no traction or dynamic braking, on DMU and EMU i drive/drove, MPT (Manipulateur Traction Freinage - Traction Braking Lever) is locked on this position.
CD: Couplage - Désaccouplement: used to attach or detach, limiting speed around 3 km/h, no automatic dynamic brake.
CM: Commande Manuelle: the driver has full control on the traction or dynamic brake.
VI: the engineer rotate and select a speed, shown by a needle on a display. The system try to obtain the displayed speed, but is constrained by the position of le MPT. If unsufficiant power is given, the speed can't be reached. The dynamic braking is automaticaly managed.

Flo

Hi,

There is also the older system where the position are F (Manual Dynamic Braking) - 0 (Neutral) - T (Manual Traction) - VI (Cruise Control).
It is used on locomotives that have the traction/braking controller that looks like a steering wheel (for example, BB26000 and TGV Atlantique).

#19 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:53 PM

If it can be useful for those who maybe will make the Italian version, with us the cruise control is understood as LCA ..

(automatic gear control lever)

it is placed on the right of the desk, and the selector, meant by the abbreviation "LV" is used to select and set the speed .. it has these functions:

+
-
N
O

also in the cab it is possible to use the LCM intended for "manual gear control lever" .. the latter is a lever placed on the left of the bench, which acts as a dynamic brake and manual accelerator .. on the driving manuals of the various locomotives, its operation is explained .. because it can vary according to depending on the rolling stock ..

#20 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:24 AM

Add to post #17
Button-controlled throttle:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Oy9UxTBZEZo/maxresdefault.jpg
With speed-reference buttons above.

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »