• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering (AMD) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Noli 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Hello everyone,

It seems that Open Rails ignores the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering settings in my graphics card configuration (AMD Radeon RX 570).
I configured this in the Global Settings to rule out any issues with game profiles. These settings work fine for other games.

I tried with various Open Rails versions and AMD drivers (from 2018 upto the latest) but without success.
For the Monogame version the in-game multisampling does work, but anisotropic filtering doesn't work either.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Attached Image: 2020-03-08 19_27_33-RADEON SETTINGS.jpg

#2 User is offline   Noli 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:40 AM

So I recently had some more time to dig into this issue.

I cleaned my display drivers installations with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled the oldest driver supporting my GPU (Radeon Software 17.4.3).
Now the supersample antialiasing (SSAA) and anisotropic filtering (AF) works again in OpenRails XNA, but not for Monogame.

With MSI Afterburner you can check the DirectX version that is being used (shown next to the FPS): OR XNA reports D3D9 and OR MG reports D3D11.
This explains why supersampling does not work in MG, since supersampling does not work in DirectX10/11 games. I found this old Anandtech article on the subject:

"Older games" is an important keyword here, as there is a catch to AMD's SSAA implementation: It only works under OpenGL and DirectX9. As we found out in our testing and after much head-scratching, it does not work on DX10 or DX11 games. Attempting to utilize it there will result in the game switching to MSAA.

Now OR MG offers in-game multisampling upto 32x which cleans up the image pretty good (although not as good as SSAA), but this causes serious edge bleeding of vegetation textures in many routes which is quite distracting. I found several topics on this subject (1,2,3,4) and tried the workaround to edit the alpha channel of the offending textures, but this is not practical and often results in floating trees.

In conclusion OR XNA definitely offers the best visual quality for me right now.
However suggestions for a better experience in OR MG are always welcome!

:sign_thanks:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users