• You cannot reply to this topic

Camera - Panning Distance ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

Hi Folks,

Without opening a can of worms on a complete camera system rework - is there anyway to simply modify the distance down the rail - and - the lateral distance from the rail - to set the panning camera position ? Thankfully - it does remember the vertical position when you adjust it...

A few of us are trying to make better videos to showcase ORTS to a wider audience and it's difficult to setup decent shots with the FOV I use... The train is far too close when I start to capture the panning sequence - and - it's too close as the train passes the camera... Ideally - it would be better if the camera smoothly boomeranged away from the track as the focus car came near - then returned to it's original position as the focus car passed it's closest point of approach...

If I manually position the camera - there's no way I know of to reinstate the panning feature from the chosen position... If there was a way to do this - this might prove a good fix...

Carlo's automobile camera works well and can capture some amazing shots but I think you need to wait for the proper timing of a vehicle to show up... It would be better if the camera didn't care about the presence of an automobile and would just follow the roads in the same manner whether a vehicle was present or not...

Seems as if we could really use a "camera.cfg" file to define some basic parameters... Perhaps different FOV's for each camera ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

I would like to know this as well please. I like to use a small FOV number, which gives a less elongated external view and the player consist is always too close in external camera views.

Thank you,

Mike.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:52 AM

Hi Folks,

Thinking more on this - this might prove the best and simplest fix - if we could reinstate the camera panning or focus car tracking feature from any position after we manually place the camera... There's no way to do this now - is there ?

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

Some years back I gave a specification to Chris for a rework of cameras. He got started but eventually set it aside. It included a camera config that allowed for control of just about everything. Perhaps he pick it up again.

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 24 February 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Some years back I gave a specification to Chris for a rework of cameras. He got started but eventually set it aside. It included a camera config that allowed for control of just about everything. Perhaps he pick it up again.

Hi Dave,

Yeah - since cameras are the only way we have to interact with our world - I think they should be pretty high up on the totem pole - hopefully someone picks up the torch...

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 24 February 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

So much to do and ls little time . . .

I would be happy to collaborate with anyone that wants to pick this up. It would be a great boost to the project.

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

And if someone's going to do any of that, please, please, please fix the camera center in the #2 and 3# views.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users