• You cannot reply to this topic

Accidental View of Consist from Below Terrain Level Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

I accidentally posted this in the Monogame thread a few weeks ago:

A year or so ago there was a lengthy discussion on this topic which I recall was almost resolved and ready for an OR upgrade to be made. At that time the OR forum problems occurred followed by a forum shutdown and loss of some posts. This particular topic was lost.

The problem still remains. It is very simple to accidentally lower the viewpoint below terrain level and get a display of the underside of the consist and a white background. Are there any more plans to correct this?

I am using U2020.02.19-0151.

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

I dunno about plans but AFAIK the solution involves adding collision detection logic that compares the camera position to n objects where n could be everything or some smaller subset such as the terrain polys. It would have to check on every frame. If its a simple solution then the performance hit might be very slight. If not, well, we'll all notice.

An ideal solution would be for the route builder to be able to specify any shape to test for camera collisions, such as here:
Attached Image: Clipboard0217.jpg

I've long been an advocate of using the .sd file to add game controls that are not handled by 3dmodeling software and in this case I think using the .sd file is the long term solution but in the meanwhile it would be a trivial task to manually add a line to the relevant world files. There shouldn't be that may in a route so as to make a manual effort onerous. I would guess in the code all that would be needed is a list of items that qualify and inclusion of checking that list to determine if the item should be included in the collision test.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users