Elvas Tower: Timetables - Dark Routes - Managing Traffic - AI Turntables - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timetables - Dark Routes - Managing Traffic - AI Turntables Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:34 AM

Hi Folks,

Regarding both Activities and Timetables...

I've been playing around on the BSR - a dark route - and I'm trying to see there's a way to manage AI traffic without signals... I would assume if the prototype had meets - they would issue a track warrant to proceed no further than such and such siding until such time as the meet would occur...

Single track main with passing sidings - paths set from opposing ends - passing sidings defined in both directions - starting time identical... As it is now - after a few miles of heading towards opposing traffic - one of the two trains just stops on the main - half way through a passing siding switch - blocking any possible solution for the two trains to pass...

I know I could set timed wait points but I'd rather not as that limits the flexibility of using the path in Timetable mode - where I might want to juggle times around... Any other way to define a meet without being time dependent ? Is there a better way to manage traffic on a dark route ? I though of maybe having to signal the route then bury the actual signals so they are invisible...

Second issue - is there any way to use working Turn Tables with AI ?

Any insights appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:42 AM

I think OR is smart enough to set up meets using track nodes rather than using only signals

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:45 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 12 February 2020 - 04:42 AM, said:

I think OR is smart enough to set up meets using track nodes rather than using only signals

Hi...

Right - I thought so too - so theoretically - as I described my paths - shouldn't one train be smart enough to realize there is a conflict and take one of the multiple defined passing sidings ? Both opposing trains were AI controlled...

Thanks for the response !

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:50 AM

It is possible to use turntables with timetable trains, both player and AI; there should be a thread about this. It is not possible to use turntables with AI trains in activity mode. For this mode you should first change player train, drive your train on the turntable, and then return to the original player train.
Re automatically managing traffic in dark routes, yes, in general OR should be able to do this.

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:57 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 12 February 2020 - 04:50 AM, said:

It is possible to use turntables with timetable trains, both player and AI; there should be a thread about this. It is not possible to use turntables with AI trains in activity mode. For this mode you should first change player train, drive your train on the turntable, and then return to the original player train.
Re automatically managing traffic in dark routes, yes, in general OR should be able to do this.

Hi Carlo,

I'll look for the thread for Timetable mode turntables - and - probably resort to using Timetables only - if I can get it to work...

In Timetable mode - is it possible to have a switcher sorting cars in a freight yard - similar to the features you added to "Wait Points" in activities ?

Thanks as well...

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:26 AM

Hi Scott,
I believe that features like those have been added, but am not so sure. In the "Developing subforum" you should find info and also documentation.

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:43 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 12 February 2020 - 05:26 AM, said:

Hi Scott,
I believe that features like those have been added, but am not so sure. In the "Developing subforum" you should find info and also documentation.

Hi Carlo,

Thanks again - will give this a shot...
:)

Regards,
Scott

#8 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

Hi Folks,

RE: Turntables in Timetables

I found the updated manual on timetables and it has a whole section devoted to turntables (a recent addition) - but - it seems as if the turntable can only be used for storage on various storage tracks - I couldn't find any reference to actually "turning" a locomotive... Pull on - reverse direction - then pull off... If anyone has used this feature and can add to this discussion - it would be most appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

#9 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:29 AM

Hi Scott, I think turning locomotives on turntables in timetable mode was next in Rob`s planned developments. However he has recently said he won`t continue. I earnestly hope he will reconsider, as his work is vital to OR, and very much appreciated.
For my timetable, I end the inward path at the turntable, and in #dispose, $triigger a new train with the #consist name field added $reverse. An outward path starts at the same location.
Timetables run in 2 modes, auto signal, and auto node ,and will switch between them automatically. If you run out of a signal controlled area you enter auto node. You need to be in auto node to couple unless you have enabled callon in the signal scripts.
A dark area will be auto node , and you can do most shunting operations . Use $forms with attach/detach/ transfer in the #dispose row, and start a new train column
In your initial post you seem to suggest sharing paths with activity and timetable modes. I suggest you don`t share, as any path mods will be hard to unravel. A good rule is 1 train 1 path, as paths are cheap in resource terms.
Timetable mode is good at manging meets, although I haven`t done much of it, the tools are there.
Hope this is some use, Rick

#10 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

View Postrickloader, on 13 February 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hi Scott, I think turning locomotives on turntables in timetable mode was next in Rob`s planned developments. However he has recently said he won`t continue. I earnestly hope he will reconsider, as his work is vital to OR, and very much appreciated.
For my timetable, I end the inward path at the turntable, and in #dispose, $triigger a new train with the #consist name field added $reverse. An outward path starts at the same location.
Timetables run in 2 modes, auto signal, and auto node ,and will switch between them automatically. If you run out of a signal controlled area you enter auto node. You need to be in auto node to couple unless you have enabled callon in the signal scripts.
A dark area will be auto node , and you can do most shunting operations . Use $forms with attach/detach/ transfer in the #dispose row, and start a new train column
In your initial post you seem to suggest sharing paths with activity and timetable modes. I suggest you don`t share, as any path mods will be hard to unravel. A good rule is 1 train 1 path, as paths are cheap in resource terms.
Timetable mode is good at manging meets, although I haven`t done much of it, the tools are there.
Hope this is some use, Rick

Hi Rick,

Hah - a brain I can pick - it sounds like you know your way around... Thanks for the response...

I saw Rob's resignation - disappointed as well - hopefully at some point we can drag him back in...
:)

LOL - so close on Turntables - just how cool would it be to see AI trundling on to the table - spinning themselves around to face the proper direction - then heading off on their assigned task - it would add massively to the visual appeal to those of us who live in tea kettles... I see what your're saying as a kludge - obviously - I need to delve deeper into Timetables in general and try some new things...

I'm helping out the "Bridgeton and Saco River" crew (Maine 2 Foot Steam in 1920's) - only about 25 miles long - and I'd like to get a functional timetable to include with release...

Yeah - as for the paths - I guess what I had in mind when I mentioned that - is I just didn't want to get in to locking the path down with specific timed wait points... I think I'm going to focus my efforts solely on Timetables now... I wish I could blow a horn like in activities but I don't think any of Carlo's Advanced AI Shunting features work with Timetables...

Thanks again...

Regards,
Scott

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users