Elvas Tower: Neutral Zone ("Non-electrified section of track") - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neutral Zone ("Non-electrified section of track") About using signal scripting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:45 AM

Hello railway fans.

Question:
Is there in the new signal script a code that refers to a “neutral zone” on an electrified track?
Reason why i ask, is that i thought if there is any chance to make a connection between a signal and an electric locomotive when it passes under a specific zone where the locomotive must be disconnected (without lowering the pantographs) in order to avoid any damage to it when passing on the next power station that feeds the next section of electrified track.
I am thinking somehow for a signal code that controls the state of the electric locomotive when passing through the neutral zone and take action or not, under 2 circumstances:

-If the electric locomotive is under power (circuit breaker closed) while passing through the neutral zone, then the code should “punish” the driver with locomotive “electric system burned out” and block the circuit breaker on open position without the possibility to close it.

-If the electric locomotive is NOT under power (circuit breaker opened) while passing through the neutral zone, then the code should be permissive and not take action on the locomotive and after exiting the neutral zone, the driver should be able to close the circuit breaker to regain power on the locomotive.

This should be working ONLY on electric locomotives, not diesel or steam.
Excuse me if i wrote something wrong but i am in a hurry to leave.
Thank you in advance.

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Are not these 'neutral zones' marked by signs alongside the track, a Blue diamond sign with pan contact symbols is one I see on German railways?

I've never seen a signal accompany these signs so what is the connection to signal scripting so it's the drivers responsibility to open thr breaker when entering these zones.

regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

Some railroads have backlit signs for neutral zones that in the past have been made into signal objects for MSTS/OR routes

#4 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

Yes those are just signs but i thought via signal scripts you can somehow give a penalty to those drivers that do not open the circuit breaker in that particular area where it is required. Of course there is no indication required on track monitor or such, because it's not a block signal in all terms, it's rather a control signal with no dependency with other signals (ref. to the simulator).
So, i was trying to look for an alternative.
Neutral zones/Neutral areas/Neutral sections i believe are quite often to be seen on any railway with electrification.
I'm not sure if i am understood with my ideas.
I found this article, maybe it will help somehow: https://www.railelec...eutral-section/
And some discussions on a forum : https://www.railforu...ections.116969/

#5 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

Coming back to Open Rails development.

Indeed, you can have beacons (or balises) on the track that tells the train that the circuit breaker has to be opened (sometimes, it's also automatic).

Currently, it is a bit difficult to code this functionality because there is no signal type that corresponds to it.
We are not able to put information balises (or "transponders") on the track because the MSTS editor would automatically remove them from the route files.

This functionality (custom balises) must be added to the simulator, to an editor (TSRE for example) and to the TCS scripts.

A lot of work to do... ;)

#6 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

How about a defining a short path of where a neutral section exists and the listing them all in those special paths in the special include file .TRK use by some other Open Rails functions too for e.g

ORTSNeutralSections {
pathname1
pathname2
etc..
etc..
}

Are not these 'neutral zones' marked by signs alongside the track, a Blue diamond sign with pan contact symbols is one I see on German railways?

Yes same Indian Railways too ...,

#7 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:16 AM

Yes but you also need to make it have somehow a "control" action upon the locomotive while passing through that area.
The main idea is to make it more realistic and also adding more challenges in activities that could make a player fail to continue due the fact that he did not disconnect in that particular section.

#8 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:11 AM

This would be really great. In a few routes, I have already laid the necessary signs and APC magnets( for visual entertainment ) waiting for this very thing!!
They are also named as a siding marker running the entire length. What if a loco script could be made to read these name markers with a specially define name, ie reading the word "Neutral" in these markers. The script could then cut the power/open the Circuit Breaker for a length of time? If power is still on, maybe a 60 second timer for traction to be restored. This will make the player pay attention to the neutral sections to avoid losing time?

I'm unsure if a loco script can be made this way?

Thanks

#9 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

View PostSerana, on 08 February 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

Coming back to Open Rails development.

Welcome back, Serana, and good to hear from you.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users