• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Demystify Open Rails Log Files? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

Is there any documentation which will help me demystify the many errors I am getting in Open Rails Log files?

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:57 PM

post a log!!

#3 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:21 AM

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (25.96K)
Number of downloads: 331

View Postengmod, on 28 January 2020 - 10:57 PM, said:

post a log!!

The log is attached. I am particularly, but not only, concerned about the signally issues. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

Who built this route? It's a total disaster - the sigcfg file is riddled with errors, something borked a ton of crossover items, and there are some bad sounds to boot. Even worse are a couple bad track nodes. Looks like you're going to be busy for a while trying to salvage this route

#5 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:20 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 29 January 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

Who built this route? It's a total disaster - the sigcfg file is riddled with errors, something borked a ton of crossover items, and there are some bad sounds to boot. Even worse are a couple bad track nodes. Looks like you're going to be busy for a while trying to salvage this route

Thanks. Is there any documentation which will help me demystify the many errors and get me started on resolving them? The quality of the route generally somewhat compensates for this errors!

#6 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:38 AM

No.

#7 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

Probably not yet. I've started keeping track of some of the more cryptic signal errors, so I may release a document on that in the future. Most of the errors seem simple enough, though - so much so that I could probably fix most of them in half an hour or less. Sound errors are usually pretty simple to fix, as well. As for the crossovers...those could be a problem

#8 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:13 AM

I don`t think this is fair or helpful comment. I`m not trying to start a flame war, but such a statement should be backed up by some positive suggestions. The OP is after all asking for help.
I know the route author has struggled manfully with tdb errors created by the MSTS RE, and it is to his credit that he persevered. The "something" "borked" crossover items are the result of faults in the MSTS RE. I have a lot similar in my own WIP route. Should I give up?
Likewise the signal "system" looks to be using items originally created for MSTS, and never revised.
David, If the route runs ok in ORTS I would be inclined to let the errors be
There is no mystery to OR log files, but the solutions aren`t easy (porobably beyond my scope)
If you feel you must tackle them, Rob has given advice on the crossover items. Search here and on trainsim.com for posts by Vince - good stuff, but not easy. You can try running it through TSutils ( part of routeriter)
Finally, try to persuade the route builder to switch to TSRE5. I have never known it create a tdb error. MSTS RE has no merit, and offers the chance to trash your route.
Wish I could be more helpful, Rick

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 29 January 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

Probably not yet. I've started keeping track of some of the more cryptic signal errors, so I may release a document on that in the future. Most of the errors seem simple enough, though - so much so that I could probably fix most of them in half an hour or less. Sound errors are usually pretty simple to fix, as well. As for the crossovers...those could be a problem

It would be greatly appreciated if you could assist with this. What files would you need to do this?

#10 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

Looks like just the sigcfg.dat file. There are two or three minor errors in the sigscr.dat, but I wouldn't worry about those too much. The crossovers and bad track nodes I would leave alone unless you speak fluent Database, or know exactly what you're doing in the route editor. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in a route with interactives on it. If you do try to fix those, make backups. Several

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users