• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random Sim Crashes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Good Evening Guys: I have been running activities on the Monon-2 route of late & have yet to be able to complete a run from one end of the route to the other. The sim randomly crashes w/no warning for no apparent reason. The pc that I use for this route is a relatively new pc & more than capable or running a complex route like the Monon-2. It does not seem to matter where I begin the activity b/c the crashes have occurred @ some point during every run. This is not a new issue for me w/this route. I have tried running it in the past & eventually gave up out of frustration. It is a great route w/a great deal of potential, but unfortunately, I have been unable to realize that potential b/c of the crashes.
So. My question is, has anyone else experience this problem with this route, and if so, is there a fix? I have attached the OR Log from the last event but have no idea what to look for to ID the problem & attempt a fix. Would appreciate any insight that anyone might share. thx...hawk

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

Two things that I can see are :-

1. this crash was caused by a corrupted path,
2. with the amount of errors generated, it could be that you have not installed the route correctly or the route is corrupted.

#3 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

Hello Derek: Thank you for your reply. I am surprised that the route itself might be corrupted b/c I did not have any problems that I know of when I made the initial download. But I will re-d/l & re-install again & see what happens. As far as a potentially corrupted route, that is entirely possible b/c the path is rather long & complicated. I will create a a shorter one & see what happens there as well. I guess what I don't understand is, I created the path in OR Track Viewer & checked it for broken segments & didn't find any. So I assume that if the path itself is the problem, the problem is something other than a broken path. Can you tell me where in the Log you find the data that the path is bad? That would be helpful. Thanks. hawk

#4 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

The broken path is mentioned at the very end of the file.

Error: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:35 PM

Hawk,

One thing I see in your attached log is you have the 'Data Logger' set true.

DataLogger = (user set) True
This function has nothing to do with the OR Log you attached which is activated by the checkbox on the OR opening screen.
Have you read the warning on the Data Logger tab?
Data Logger overload has shown itself on my machine if enabled on a detailed route (aka the PRR) producing the same symptom you describe, "random crashes".
It may be worth a shot running with it set to false (off)

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:32 AM

There "illegal characters in path" system message does not refer to a route path (the ones you generate with track viewer), but to the computer path of a file, in this case a .wav file recalled within an .sms file. So you should try to find out which .sms contains a faulty call to a .wav file...
I see from the log that there are also other errors in the content you are loading: there are missing tiles, see e.g. line
Warning: Ignoring missing tile D:\0.1 Eastern Roads\ROUTES\MONON-2\TILES\-04EE95C0.t

there are missing or incorrectly referenced shapes, like e.g.
Warning: w-011527+014394.w scenery object 61 with StaticFlags 00200180 references non-existent D:\0.1 Eastern Roads\Global\Shapes\A2t300r10d.s

there are missing or incorrectly referenced .wav files like e.g.
Warning: File 4449../../PM 1225/Sound/_0.wav missing from D:\0.1 Eastern Roads\trains\trainset\PRR_M1\sound

there are missing or incorrectly referenced .sms files like e.g.
Warning: File SOUND\OldenTrack2ex.sms missing from D:\0.1 Eastern Roads\ROUTES\MONON-2

Do also other users of Monon-2 get all these warnings? I second engmod's suspect that the route could be not correctly installed.

#7 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:07 AM

Thanks to all for the comments/help.
First. Vince, I have also deactivated the Logging function on the opening screen on the current download to see if that might possibly be the issue. (BTW, I do run the PRR East route as well but have not had the random crashes on that route as on the Monon-2. Can't explain why b/c that route is even more complex.) Do I need to make any changes in the Data Logger Tab as well? Currently, the only box checked in that tab is for performance data.
Second: I am currently d/l a clean copy of the Monon-2 on a separate pc. Once the d/l is complete, I will move to my primary machine where I run the sim & start anew w/new activities & paths, using nothing from the previous install. What I do not understand is how its possible to have a corrupted installation when the route downloaded normally, opens & starts normally, allows modifications in the TSRE5 Route Editor, but then shows 23000 plus lines of errors.

Will be back later today w/the results of these 2 efforts. Thanks again guys for your help! Hawk

#8 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

Guys: I had planned on getting back to you w/the results of both the deactivation of the Data Logger & the re-install of a new version of the Monon-2 route, but I have had to delay the latter until sometime this evening. However, I did deactivate the Data Logger. When ran the activity I was having the problem with, the sim crashed once again in approximately the same location it had crashed previously. So I decided to try a different path, one of the defaults, launched the player, then left the sim running while I ran errands in town. When I returned approximately 3 hrs later, the player was still running along that path. So I'm not sure just what this bit of data suggests. If the entire route were corrupted, it would seem that the sim would have crashed sometime in the interim from when I started the run & when I returned several hours later. So it makes me wonder if the problem is related to the path or the route itself. The player is still running and probably has another couple or three hours to go to reach the end point if it makes it. What makes it more confusing to me is that the random crashes have happened on multiple paths in the past, not just the most recent one. So all of this makes me wonder if the problem might be w/a specific path or paths that I have created or w/the route itself. Any thoughts? Thanks again...Hawk

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hi,
it's not the route path that you have used that is faulty. The problem is that such route path leads you somewhere where there is a sound file (an .sms file) that becomes activated, which in turn calls a .wav file that is badly defined within the .sms file and which generates the cras. Such sound file could be an environment file. or a file of an AI train you meet, or a track sound file.
This doesn't mean that your installation doesn't have problems. I noticed that I have Monon-2 version 17. I've just run it and I get a very limited list of warnings in the logfile.

#10 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Thank you for the detailed analysis. That is most helpful. I had no idea that sound & wave files could have such an impact on the sim's performance. This particular route is loaded w/sms files along all of the right of ways, so it is entirely possible that one of those files is looking for a missing wav file, cannot find it, & therefore crashes the sim. Good to know. That probably explains why the sim would crash in approximately the same location every time.
The version of Monon-2 that I d/l today is the latest version...Version 17. After I completed the install, I did a test run & the sim worked perfectly. However, when I launched the sim, I forgot that I had deactivated the Data Logger earlier today, so I have no idea how many warnings I might have received during that run. What I do know is that I selected one of the default activities, used one of the longer, default paths, selected a random consist from my consist folder, and left the sim running on its own for several hours. As the player was steam powered, it eventually ran out of water & stopped, but not before covering almost 2/3 of the distance of the selected path. I have now reactivated the Data Logger & will try again & see what happens. I'm hopeful that the install of this new version may have solved the problem.
Thanks again for your assistance. Hawk

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users