• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Level crossings? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

Would it be possible to define a level crossing as both a track piece and a road piece? The idea being the crossing would be built as a track section that has a special property, the ability to also be able to connect to the road sections.

The idea is to get the AI cars and trucks to go over the crossing in a manner so that the wheels don't sink into the rails as they cross the tracks.

Robert

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

Don't cars go up and over tracks with level crossing objects already? I know I've seen it plenty in OR

#3 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Travis,

I might be missing something then.

Robert

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 17 January 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

Would it be possible to define a level crossing as both a track piece and a road piece? The idea being the crossing would be built as a track section that has a special property, the ability to also be able to connect to the road sections.

The idea is to get the AI cars and trucks to go over the crossing in a manner so that the wheels don't sink into the rails as they cross the tracks.
Robert

Hi Robert,
In the Activity Pittsburgh Express Part 2, watch the vehicles crossing the multiple yard and main line tracks at Lewistown.
During the time the train is stopped at the station the gates rise and road vehicles cross in front of the train. I did a complete rebuild of Lewistown and paid special attention to the terrain under the tracks and roads.

The cars, to me anyway, seen to closely mimic the way they do in real world RR grade crossings, the vehicles bumping across the rails but not too much. This is after all a 1955 rural location.

So I believe attention to detail with the terrain is the way to achieve prototypical operation.
The ability of TSRE to perform micro terrain & road adjustments makes this possible.
I did tweak a few other level crossings in the route but the Lewistown crossings I remember well.
Have a close look at the Lewistown crossing operation during the activity.

The gates remain up during the entire station stop until the train starts to depart so there is plenty of time for a good close look if you delay.

If you could, please let me know, good or bad, how to think it looks in operation.
Of course this involves running the activity but as luck would have it it's the first stop out of Harrisburg where the activity starts after about an hour running time.
Autopilot will keep schedule but manual running the activity gets you there about 10 minutes late. I will fix that as soon as I have the chance and release a activity patch.

regards,
vince

#5 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

In the way of cars bouncing over crossings, that has been a part of OR for a long time.

However, It is worth noting that many route builders used buried pieces of track to extend the distance between a track and the point where the cars stop. OpenRails will make traffic dive into the ground to meet these track sections. I know the MSTS RE had a way to set the vehicle stopping distance from a crossing, but I haven't found the way to do it in TSRE5.

#6 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

View PostFleegle411, on 17 January 2020 - 03:48 PM, said:

In the way of cars bouncing over crossings, that has been a part of OR for a long time.

However, It is worth noting that many route builders used buried pieces of track to extend the distance between a track and the point where the cars stop. OpenRails will make traffic dive into the ground to meet these track sections. I know the MSTS RE had a way to set the vehicle stopping distance from a crossing, but I haven't found the way to do it in TSRE5.

You might be thinking of this:

https://msts.steam4m...carspawner.html

#7 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

Hi Guys,

I guess my concerns come from the following,

When I laid out a couple of crossings, I made sure the crossing went down then butted road sections up to the edges of the crossings. To me this creates a broken path as the crossing is a track section in the Tsection.dat. But the road blue poles don't disappear as the road doesn't connect to a track object?

I think what I am getting at is having special track sections with "level crossing" status so the roads can be connected and the blue poles disappear.

Robert

#8 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

Track and road sections are both specified in the global tsection.dat. Are you trying to use those track pieces with the crossing surface built-in?

#9 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

Yes.

I think it's a good way of doing crossings personally.

Robert

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users