• You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with MonoGame versions and MSTS environments Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hello Csantucci,

Sorry, it took a while to edit the screenshots to make them smaller (in size and storage).

On my display resolution, the monitor is 1920x1080 native. The Window size in OR (all versions) is set to 1920x1080.

The first screenshot is what the MonoGame both the unstable release and the newyear (before 49.3) release were doing regardless if the Fast full-screen alt-tab was checked or not.

Attached File  or-mgus2smb.jpg (116.87K)
Number of downloads: 3

In the above the taskbar is active.

Now, with newyear 49.3 there is a great improvement in that the taskbar is now mostly hidden and what part is visible is not active (where before you could click on any of the items on the taskbar it would make that the active windows with OR behind it).
This screenshot is with Fast full-screen alt-tab off (unchecked).

Attached File  or-mg49-3uc3smb.jpg (220.33K)
Number of downloads: 3

As can be seen, the width is correct, but the height is a little short at the bottom.

Next, is the screenshot with Fast full-screen alt-tab on (checked).

Attached File  or-mg49-3c3smb.jpg (221.79K)
Number of downloads: 2

Here the width is off on the left by a very small amount and height is off by a very small amount at the bottom. Also, the title bar more of it is visible.

Using a smaller screen resolution only gives me a smaller window for OR with the size-dependent on the window size selected or inputted.

Attached File  or-smscreen49-3sm.jpg (49.91K)
Number of downloads: 1

One interesting thing is that if you drag the OR Window with your cursor (any of the three above) in 49.3 to much, it will disappear and the OR launch menu window reappears after a few seconds.

With 49.3 as I said before, this is a great improvement on the full-screen size. I’m pretty sure that MonoGame can handle the higher screen resolutions. If you don’t see fast solutions for what I’ve found, I would recommend that you see what happens with it with other people testing it at different window screen sizes and their results, before you spend a lot more time on this. If this is what is decided, I will be happy to continue researching it and will post anything new.

Phil

#12 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostP Escue, on 19 January 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

Hello Csantucci,

Sorry, it took a while to edit the screenshots to make them smaller (in size and storage).

On my display resolution, the monitor is 1920x1080 native. The Window size in OR (all versions) is set to 1920x1080.

The first screenshot is what the MonoGame both the unstable release and the newyear (before 49.3) release were doing regardless if the Fast full-screen alt-tab was checked or not.

Attachment or-mgus2smb.jpg

In the above the taskbar is active.

Now, with newyear 49.3 there is a great improvement in that the taskbar is now mostly hidden and what part is visible is not active (where before you could click on any of the items on the taskbar it would make that the active windows with OR behind it).
This screenshot is with Fast full-screen alt-tab off (unchecked).

Attachment or-mg49-3uc3smb.jpg

As can be seen, the width is correct, but the height is a little short at the bottom.

Next, is the screenshot with Fast full-screen alt-tab on (checked).

Attachment or-mg49-3c3smb.jpg

Here the width is off on the left by a very small amount and height is off by a very small amount at the bottom. Also, the title bar more of it is visible.

Using a smaller screen resolution only gives me a smaller window for OR with the size-dependent on the window size selected or inputted.

Attachment or-smscreen49-3sm.jpg

One interesting thing is that if you drag the OR Window with your cursor (any of the three above) in 49.3 to much, it will disappear and the OR launch menu window reappears after a few seconds.

With 49.3 as I said before, this is a great improvement on the full-screen size. I’m pretty sure that MonoGame can handle the higher screen resolutions. If you don’t see fast solutions for what I’ve found, I would recommend that you see what happens with it with other people testing it at different window screen sizes and their results, before you spend a lot more time on this. If this is what is decided, I will be happy to continue researching it and will post anything new.

Phil

I wonder if you want to try my "Ultimate" version which does a few things differently in that area. You can download a base verion from here https://github.com/p...g/144-d77821976, and use the updater as described to get the latest version.
If this improves things for you, this gives us and Carlo some ideas what needs to be changed.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:55 PM

Hi Phil,
thank you for your reporting. I suspect that all your screenshots are made with the "Windowed" checkbox checked in the main menu, and therefore they are made in windowed mode, with a window wide as the screen. If you want to run full screen, you should uncheck that box. I'd like also to remind that you can switch at runtime between full screen and windowed mode by pressing Alt-Enter.
Here is what I get during game loading with a 1600 x 900 screen, 1600 x 900 window definition, windowed checkbox unchecked and Fast full-screen Alt-tab unchecked:
Attached File  Nofast.jpg (214.3K)
And here is what I get in the same conditions, but Fast full-screen Alt-tab checked:
Attached File  Fast.jpg (214.29K)
As you see, it's a real, centered full screen in both cases.

All in all, IMHO it's not so important that, when runnung in windowed mode (which I suppose is the mode you had when taking your screenshots), a window big as the screen is not perfectly centered (which seems to be the problem you are reporting). BTW also the testing version of OR is not vertically centered when running with a window of the dimensions of the screen. However if I have time I'll see if something can be done.

P.S.: I have studied and checked a bit more and I think that the actual solution is not bad. When in windowed mode (Windowed checkbox checked) the OR window is centered within the working area of the screen (which does not include the taskbar). This is correct, and in this way a window that is high as the screen height minus the taskbar heignt does not cover the taskbar. However, if the window height is higher than that (e.g. is high as the screen), it partly extends above the screen and partly extends over the taskbar (as it does in the non-Monogame version). Should an exception be made in this particular case, and the window should be centered at the center of the screen, fully covering the taskbar? Another solution would be not to accept window sizes greater than the working area of the screen. However, in both cases, there would be changes that are not present in the testing version either.

#14 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:06 PM

Yes, you are correct, I do have the Windowed checked in the main menu. But in my defense, I have it checked in the standard release of OR which was what I was judging the unstable and newyear by. I still think that the Windowed checked in the unstable and newyear should if the Window size is the same as display size, that it should go the full screen as it does in the standard release. I'm not sure why its not in MonoGame and will continue to look into it. As I said before the fix that was done 49.3 is a vast improvement where you now have the taskbar hidden.

I will be happy to try the "Ultimate" version and I will continue to try to break things and let you know about it. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to when you get the MonoGame version out. With 64 bit (and yes all my testing on newyear has been with the 64 bit version) and from what I've seen of what some people have done with Monogame in 3D, it should be a pretty good step in the graphics from the XNA. The “Be the Astronaut” exhibit with the Mars rover game is very impressive.

Phil

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

Hi Phil,
if we are talking about aesthetic aspects, may I say that I don't like the way the standard OR handles the screen layout when a window size equal to the screen size is selected, and the windowed checkbox is checked? On top of the window you see only half of the window bar, which is not nice either. And looking at other programs, when they run in window mode the taskbar is seen.
Moreover the only difference that I see now is that in one case there is that left vertical bar not covered by the window. Also in the testing version there is a small part of the taskbar that can be seen when you run in windowed mode with the window having the same definition as the screen.
So, I'm not sure that how the standard OR handles the screen layout in this case is the best solution, neither am I sure what the best solution could be. Therefore at the moment I have the intention to leave things as they are, waiting that the situation clarifies. Things might be changed, but a shared objective must be defined.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users